[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How to not "look" like a nerd

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 90
Thread images: 2

File: my faggot ass.jpg (66KB, 520x888px) Image search: [Google]
my faggot ass.jpg
66KB, 520x888px
People have pegged me for a giant fucking nerd alot in my past and for good reason. I want to get rid of this stigma and come off as, atleast, neutral/normal.

Im wearing plain clothes (ie plain shirt, jeans, work boots). and practice hygiene

What else should i do? And what kind of haircut should i get?

Also i am over-weight but i am working on that.
>>
Lose weight until you are a normal healthy weight for your height then and only then can we defaggotize you anon.
>>
>>17735791

Clothes don't make the man. When you open your mouth they will be able to tell. Find nerds like you and socialize with them.
>>
You have nice hair in my opinion, but if you want to look more masculine you could get a buzz cut.
>>
>>17735799
>defaggotize you
2/10
>>17735800
fuck that, maybe i can get normal hobbies or something? I mean im not a sperg, i can get by in normal conversation and have had several jobs, so i can pass interviews and such
>>17735805
idk about looking manly just i dont want to be pegged for "video games and comics" some of guy.
>>
>>17735791
Who cares if you're a nerd....trying to please a bunch of rumpkins so that they accept you will lead to a deep sense of emptiness through the rest of your life.

I say nerd on. I have much more respect for those who let their freak flag fly than the scared little, immoral, thieving, backstabbing, two faced drones obsessed with social hierarchy.
>>
>>17735791
long lost brother ?
>>
>>17735812
>fuck that, maybe i can get normal hobbies or something?

>idk about looking manly just i dont want to be pegged for "video games and comics" some of guy.

Learn to love yourself. No one wants an indecisive guy that can't stand his ground. If you like something, don't be ashamed.

Doesn't mean you should greet people by asking them which run of Batman they prefer, but learn to respect yourself if you want to be respected by others.
>>
>>17735814
i just want to avoid the first impression of me to be "video gaming comic reading nuuuuurrd"
i feel like it gets me less respect from people
I want to come off as, atleast, neutral.
>>
>>17735825
>17735825
How does this not respect myself?

ANd if your right, how do i do so?
>>
>>17735827
Hmm, well I can respect it for a practical reason I suppose.

Working out, cutting hair, talking in a confident and relaxed fashion will go a long way. I don't think it would take that much.
>>
>>17735829

Do you actually like comics and games?
>>
Get haircut, preferably a spiky haircut.

Try to make your style more hipster so you blend in with the masses

Continue to lose weight

Meet people and get to know them until their ideas about you is gone.

Honestly that is it, everything will eventually fall in place.
>>
>>17735835
>working out
i could see myself running/biking but not lifting, traveling to a gym is a bore
>hair cut
what should i get
>talking confident and relaxed
example?
>>17735838
>game
yes , but i usually just buy stuff that interests me on sale
>comics
a bit, not a real avid guy but i do like green latern and some more indie stuffi guess

Really i just dont want people to think of me as some geeky fucker who plays games and doesnt get girls or something. This negative idea in my head that may set me back.
>>
Cut your hair, learn how to not look creepy
>>
>>17735849
>Really i just dont want people to think of me as some geeky fucker who plays games and doesnt get girls or something.

So you don't want to be seen as a walking stereotype. Guess what? Only assholes live by stereotypes.

Unless you are really a real-life Howard from TBBT, you should>>17735849
be fine.

People might be reacting to your insecurities more than to your actual hobbies.
>>
>>17735852
>how to not look creepy
tips/examples?
>>17735859
its just ive had people peg me for gamer/geeky/nerdy/ other shit for awhile and i fucking hate it. I want to not be this stupid fucking thing.
>>
>>17735863
>I want to not be this stupid fucking thing.

So, are you? Are you a nerd that can only talk about games and shit? Are you a creepy nerd that stares at girls?

That's the only point, lazy bastard. If you act like a stereotype, you'll be seen as such.
>>
>>17735863

Why do you care what other people think? People will judge you no matter what.

Let me spin you a tale. I used to love playing yugioh cards back in high school and would go to tournaments on the weeknds locally and a ycs if it ever came in my state. I was labelled a nerd geek dork loser by my classmates. The result led me to feel like shit and I quit yugioh for 5 months but played in secret. Well I made some friends at my locals and they wanted to hang out at a restaurant which I happily agreed to go. Guess who was at the restaurant? Some of classmates and so I had to decide to pretend to not know them or hang out with my no friends. Guess what I did? I hanged out with my friends and we had a great time. From then on I ignored those motherfuckers and did me....the best part, one of those guys initially picking on me was curious on how to play and asked me. After to get to know me he said I was a chill guy and suddenly I was more respected around school for not being a pussy who caters to people opinions. We are not friends to this day and my weak social circle grew several times.

Sorry for going on a blog post but my point is that people will talk and judge no matter what you do. Why live a life constantly looking for their validation anon? Live you life man.
>>
>>17735863
>tips/examples?

When you take pictures of yourself, don't look at the camera with dead eyes, and the same creepy smile a serial killer probably has when he leans over his victims with a power tool he uses to drill their brains out.
>>
>>17735791
hi reggie
>>
>>17735877
i dont do either but people still peg me as such
i want to know what to wear/do to seem more normal
>>17735879
sorry man, this simply isnt feasible for me
>>17735891
so what should i do instead?
>>
>>17735922
>i want to know what to wear/do to seem more normal

The problem is not how you look. It's that you want to bend over backwards to please people. It's that you describe your own hobbies as something shameful.

Who wants to hang out with a pussy like that?
>>
>>17735934
>implying thats a pussy
i dont want to be someone no one respects, i dont want to be some stupid fucking nerd no one takes seriously.
ive felt like alot of my lifeand i want that gone
Also
>wanting to take direction in your own life makes you a pussy.
>>
>>17735955
>wanting to take direction in your own life makes you a pussy.

No, wanting to change what you like for others is what makes you a pussy.

Want to hold conversations with people? Learn about current events and don't make 4chan jokes IRL.

Jeans and hoodie is your "normie" uniform.

If after that you still are the "loser nerd", then don't blame your clothes. Blame your personality.
>>
>>17735975
What is a good non nerd personality I can emulate ?
>>
>>17735979

Either you are trolling or a lost cause.

I'd actually prefer you were trolling.
>>
Be your fucking self is what you do. I've done this for years and have a very short list of women I've fucked. Oh, maybe I should try to be something I'm not too! Alright bro, let's join the circus and tag team 'em! I'm officially side show Bob!
>>
>>17735987
Guess I'm a lost cause then
Oh well
>>
>>17735991
>b urself
>don't know who you are
>can't seem to find out no matter what
This is a different issue for another time .
But I don't want to appear as a nerd , even though people have done so in the past
>>
>>17735992

Are you reading what we are saying?

I guess you are a lost cause, then. Several Anons have made it pretty clear that you can't be accepted just by hiding forever.
>>
>>17735998
>But I don't want to appear as a nerd

Ok,let's get back to the basic question:

Do you really think it's your clothes that's the problem?
>>
>>17736008
I've heard people say that could be a reason , so I thought I change that up
Plain clothes give no indication of nerdyness
So I got rid of some of my nerd graphic tees and got plain clothes
>>
>>17735998
Then get some new clothes. I've done that as I aged. Got rid of all my high school shit after high school. Nothing freakier than a 20yr old still wearing a high school shirt. Got rid of all sports clothes cause thugs wear them. Got rid of all college shit after college. You can change clothes but you cannot hide YOU for long periods. That only works on a short term basis. If they don't like YOU then fuck them...
>>
>>17736025
But I don't to be that . And I don't want to be seen that way on the surface . Like I want some stranger to not look at me and leg me as a geek
>>
>>17736024
>So I got rid of some of my nerd graphic tees and got plain clothes

Did that solve the problem?
>>
>>17736038
>Trying to teach people confidence
>Godspeed brave anons, godspeed
>>
>>17736038
Not that I see no , just a buit. Maybe haircut / general demeanor/ something I don't know about would help.
Anything would be great guys
>>
>>17736045
>something I don't know about would help.

YOUR. FUCKING. PERSONALITY.

I said it before here >>17735975

Anon said it here >>17736025

Anon said it here >>17735879

And I again said it here >>17735800
>>
>>17736057
I don't like these answers
I was hoping for get this haircut and do this type of thing
Go talk to people who are nerds is something I don't want to do . I barely am able to talk with them but I can sure talk to people in have nothing in common with
>>
>>17736067
>I don't like these answers

That's your problem. You have already decided what you want to do, and came here expecting confirmation.

Sorry, but there's not a "geek" sign stapled to your chest. I play boardgames, roleplaying games, videogames, read comics and watch some anime.

No one can tell unless I say something, because I also know about current events, I can talk about my job, my classes, my plans for the future, my non-geek friends, etc.

It's nothing on your face. It's on what comes out of your speaking-hole.
>>
>>17736067

Your not liking the answers doesn't make them any less true.
>>
>>17736080
I mean I've known people who I barely talk to peg me for it
And I talk to people about that stuff too
>>
>>17736067
You know that is this mentality of yours that makes you a fucking nerd? If you think that an hair cut can make the difference you are a fucking nerd... And if you think that being a nerd is wrong or bad you are an idiot... And if you change yourself to have more friends and shit you are a insicure pussy and a coward... And that's worse than being a nerd or shit like that
>>
>>17736093
>I mean I've known people who I barely talk to peg me for it

Bullshit. Either you have a reputation as a nerd, something a change of wardrobe won't fix, or you are worse at conversation than what you think.
>>
>>17736106
Well it was in high school
It is something physical . I'm not really a sperg
>>17736105
Nor any of that, it's for me
>>
>>17736117
>It is something physical .

Really? You a the word NERD branded on your forehead?
>>
>>17736120
No but there is something
I thought bad hair or awkward clothes or something is why this is the case
>>
>>17736123

You are clearly convinced of this dumb, dumb idea. Good luck. You'll need it.
>>
>>17736117
Then nothing will change.
And no you don't have sperg because you are a talentless loser with no character or guts whatsoever.
You will never conclude nothing in life
>>
>>17736123

... could it be... your attitude?
>>
>>17736127
>all this shit
If you say so man
>>17736126
Thanks I guess
>>17736128
What should I do ? I can't ignore this
>>
>>17736136
Change your fucking attitude you fucking idiot, not your haircut cunt the ATTITUDE
>>
>>17736136

Print out this thread and read it 50 times every day. Tape it to a boxing glove and slap yourself in the face with it, and then just kind of wail on your head with it, screaming, in the hopes the truths coming from anon all over the globe will penetrate your skull
>>
>>17736057
This isn't advice though, you're just telling him his personality sucks. Let me reframe that for you. OP's personality is not compatible with normies just like a lot of people. What's wrong with wanting to click with normies? They are 90% of fucking people. What OP should do is find a middle ground where he gets better at blending in but drop hints in conversation that you think differently than others. The people you're gonna click with will pick up on it.
>>
>>17735791
i would get rid of the arch in your eyebrows or straighten your hair out.
>>
That's insane. I found "nerdy" guys like you the cutiest thing, but never get to see one where I live. And when I get one around here, people say these kinda stuff to change your look.
>>
>>17736150

>What's wrong with wanting to click with normies?

Nothing. There's nothing wrong.

Now, being ashamed of your hobbies and blaming your clothes for all your problems is wrong. If he can't have the conviction to defend what he likes AND add more mainstream interests, then he is a wuss.
>>
>>17736162
People guess I'm a nerd by just looking at me dude
>>
>>17736185

As I said before: unless it's branded on your forehead, I don't buy that bullshit.
>>
>>17736162
Some people don't want their private lives on display? Liking video games and liking mountain climbing are not treated the same by society. You can defend your interests against people you're close with but not strangers. I bet you some vegans do not want people to know simply out of how much of a fucking meme it's become. Maybe they don't even want to interact with other vegans, I wouldn't, those guys are complete fucks. Don't make them defend the public scrutiny, tell them how to avoid it.
>>
>>17736185
i think they get that vibe because ur eyes are kinda big but its nice. u can play out the nerdiness by wearing confident clothing so it makes u look respectable.
>>
>>17736193
Well its true man
Don't know what else to tell ya
>>
>>17736203
>Some people don't want their private lives on display?

Point to my message saying he should display it. I'm just saying he doesn't need to feel ashamed of it.

Fitting in is not sacrificing all you like. You can ADD mainstream interests to your repertoire for small talk and still enjoy reading a comic book in your own home.
>>
>>17736213
This isn't about hobbies. People being able to guess things about me >>17736193 (happens all the time to me bro), that hasn't changed jack about what I do in my free time, but it makes me feel kinda shitty when I go out. Come to think of it, a little bit of alcohol has really helped me out in those situations and even allowed me to trick people into considering me a normie like them, which is a great fucking feeling. Then I say I'm in software and they are intrigued instead of turned off. I recommend it to OP, drink more, easiest thing you can do at the moment.
>>
>>17736232
>>17736211

Please, let me know what you believe:

How can people guess you are a nerd from looking at you?

Hazard a guess, I promise I won't yell. Just try to offer a concrete example.
>>
>>17736239
If I had to pick one thing out of everything else, I say body language, which is hard to find an example for. I don't really control it and people don't even realize they notice it. There's apparently volumes of research on it
>>
>>17735791
I agree with everyone else, just accept who you are and find people who support and love you for being that person; you'll never feel safe and happy if you are disguising to be something you are not. Changing your clothing is not an effective way to change who you are. I think people are feeling defensive ITT because they themselves (including me) are nerdy, and asking to disguise that feels like a rejection of who they (we) are.

That said, I think I see where you are coming from. You want to change because you associate being nerdy with feeling awkward in social situations. Perhaps people find you creepy. Maybe you don't have luck with women. The truth is, this isn't related to how you dress, or your haircut. Once you have the basics (hygiene) covered, which you say you do, the rest of it is confidence and being comfortable in your own skin. Wholeheartedly embracing what you love is magnetic and attractive in people, whether it is mountain climbing or vidya or death metal. It makes people uncomfortable when you are insecure, defensive, or angry about it.

I completely agree that you have to dress appropriately for some situations to be respected - for example, for a job interview or on a first date. Otherwise, hand to heart it really is about liking yourself. If you don't know how to do that, I think you should talk to a therapist.
>>
>>17736246

Yeah he probably twitches his arm like us nerds do...

OP is a complete and unequivocally pitiable faggot, mitigated only by a small amount of respect I grant his sheer stubbornness.
>>
>>17736246

Body language can tell others you are insecure or socially awkward, but not that you are a nerd.

And there are insecure and socially awkward people that are not nerds.
>>
>>17736249
I see a lot of overlap personally, and I know other people do so they often connect them. If OP doesn't have any sort of social anxiety, I honestly don't know what to tell him any more. Clothes really are the last straw I can think of. He should get a nice watch too.
>>
>>17736261

But that's the thing. If he is socially awkward, nice clothes and a new haircut won't fix shit.

They might be a momentary boost to confidence, but as soon as he has a problem, he will fold again.

Also, a new coat can't disguise body language, duh!
>>
You're fat
>>
>>17736264
Nah, that momentary boost goes a mile. I'd even say social anxiety disappears after enough of these boosts over long term. Either way clothes help but should be a baseline not the solution to everything. When you have a new coat or something your body language says oh shit, I look really fresh.
>>
>>17736279

Sure. Go for it.

Buy new clothes instead of working on his denial, his stubbornness, his inability to formulate arguments for himself (as you are talking for him, all he does is repeat "they just know I'm a nerd!").

I'm sure a new pair of trainers and a new shirt will solve his problems.

Fucking hell, he doesn't need you making excuses for him.

At least I hope you are another Anon and he isn't posting to himself like a bitch.
>>
>>17736291
If you hate this person so much just hide the thread. On the other hand I'm here because I think I have some value to provide.
>>
>>17736301

What are you going to provide? Validation for his own denial?

You'll tell him to train and lose weight to impress the mean kids at school?

Sure, that's what he needs.

Read what he writes. He doesn't stand for himself. He is ashamed of what he likes. He has been told by several Anons what to do and he said: "I don't like these answers"

His problem is not a bit of body language. It's the lack of a spine.
>>
>>17736307
Yeah that's what I'd tell him. That's spine, coming to terms with what's expected of you even if it means betraying your own instincts. And let me tell you, people do not want you to go all the way down the rabbit hole of your own "scene", they want you to do your own thing then pick out the best parts so it's smooth and less awkward in conversation and real life. As an unrelated note, please do not space out each sentence it's honestly an eyesore when you do that.
>>
>>17736321

>people do not want you to go all the way down the rabbit hole of your own "scene"

Here:
>>17736213
>>17736162
>>17735975

That's three times I told him to ADD to his personality so he can make small talk. I and engage "normals". I literally cannot see how you still miss that I don't ask him to be a mega-nerd.

Reading comprehension.
>>
>>17736329
Idk if that really works, current events sure but you can't fake interests, you can't. I tried to get basic knowledge of current music artists, read a list of song titles and that's as far as I got, could not give more of a fuck. And that does kill conversations. Maybe try to seek out and discover new interests and use that as conversation material because you and the person you're talking to can both relate, you both don't know much about it.
>>
>>17736353

If you can't talk about the weather, the news, and local gossip (classes//workplace), then you are fucked.

Also, don't fake interests, I already pointed out how lying and pretending won't last. You can search those posts yourself.

He should develop actual real interests as you are saying. I think your problem is that you haven't read shit in the thread, because you are just repeating what I said to me.

Good luck OP and mysterious Anon that talks when OP doesn't talk *wink*. Hope you learn to love yourself.
>>
>>17736365
I don't read entire threads unless there's a gender war but I see your posts and, I don't think OP's problem was conversation in the first place. It's a part of it yeah, but how you view yourself compared to other people goes so much further and I've tried to touch that mostly. Anyway you don't have to wink at me. Being someone else in your own thread lol? people don't do that.
>>
shave your head
wear lighter colors like whites beiges and greys
don't glare like that
lose some weight
talk less (brevity)
>>
full rick
jokes aside, fa fit and pol
>>
OP wtf, you're a qt. why do you feel the need to change?
>>
I am a little bit late OP, but I suppose I can drop some advice to help your way out of the sperg spectre.

So, you can't change what people think about you, but you can change the way people percibe you. And I suppose that's what you are intending to do.

There are a lot of things that can change the way people percibe you, but some of the important ones are:

Body language: people tend to associate passive body language with introverted people, and so then they may associate introverted with nerds or geeks or whatever the fuck.

Clothes: the way you dress is really important, not only the kind of clothes but also the size, cut, etc...

Smell: smell is the only sense that goes directly into the neo-cortex without being completely filtered, so the way you smell like is extremely important, because that's the way people will remember you by.

Looks: let's be honest here, halo effect it's really fucking strong and people unconsciously tend to prefer people with nice looks over people with notasnice kind of looks. And obviously "nerds or" geeks" are stereotypes associated with ugly people.

However, you can change all of those things, but if you are still unable to engage in conversation correctly with people, you will fall into the same hole again. Remember that you are only trying to change the way people percibe you, and perception is just the first of a lot of complex processes that indicate people how to think about other people.

That's all OP, hope it helps, also sorry if my english is kind of rusty, not my natal tongue.
>>
>>17737899
Change all the percibes with perceives**
>>
>>17736067
ok, you are a helpless nerd, faggot.
You wanted advice, you got it. baka, people like you disgust me.
>>
>>17736211
ITS NOT TRUE YOURE JUST A FUCKING RETARD!!! I was in this boat. Everytime someone calls you a pussy you probably think to yourself: No I'm not, I'm just more considerate of others' feelings! Its not true dude, you need to work on yourself. If you really are as good as you say you are, then working on yourself is only going to make you even better. Stop video games and masturbation unless you're planning on being a developer or porn star. Be what you want to be. If someone else is doing it easier, find solace in the fact that they will not work as hard. If someone is naturally better than you at something, and then they work at it and get even better, do not despise that person. A lot of this advice is advice I myself need to hear, and I hope that by telling it to you, I might actually remember it.
>>
>>17738319
Also nobody in the thread says this but you don't even look like a nerd. I legitimately thought the OP pic was of my cousin's fiance.
Thread posts: 90
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.