[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Dogs and Fireworks

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: scaredoggy.jpg (91KB, 1000x666px) Image search: [Google]
scaredoggy.jpg
91KB, 1000x666px
My dog is shaking like a leaf at these fireworks. I thought they were supposed to hide under the table or something, but mine just paces up and down panting like a maniac. What should I do?
>>
Dogs are pack animals. You need to be calm and in control in order for your dog to calm down.
Take some deep breaths, imagine how you want the situation to go and let go of the dogs and your own fears.

Don't try to calm it as you would a child, that will only heighten the notion that there is something to be afraid of. Take control by showing through body language that there is nothing to fear. This means leaving the dog alone and focus on something else, it's the hardest part for any dog owner.
>>
Give him treatsies and try to play.
>>
>>17734603
No, don't do this. This is how you comfort a child. If you do this you are rewarding the dog and it will connect being afraid with getting rewards. In the long run that will create a neurotic dog.

Ignore the dog and let its emotion go through while being sound and safe at mind. Dogs are perceptive to moods, and right now you are feeding off the dog instead of the other way around.
>>
>>17734601
>>17734614
This guy knows his stuff!
>>
>>17734601
>>17734614
>>17734646
Hi vet student. Do not listen to these people, they don't know a single shit.
DO confort your dog as you would a child. The idea that it ''reinforces the idea that there's something to fear'' is COMPLETELY false. You cannot for the life of you reward an emotional state. Your dog will really be conforted by your presence.
>>17734603
Do this. Get his mind off the scary sounds. Deep pressure on his body via petting or cuddling will also be beneficial. You can tie a shirt around him too. There's special ''thunder jacket'' as well.
Remember, your dog is NOT ''behaving badly'' he is AFRAID. Reassure and distract.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.