[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Could someone help me out feel nervous with starting college

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 3

File: 1471688391102.jpg (111KB, 1252x1252px) Image search: [Google]
1471688391102.jpg
111KB, 1252x1252px
Could someone help me out feel nervous with starting college soon
>what's your major
>What would you tell your freshmen self if you could go back in time
>random tip
>>
Meet as many people as you can

If you don't already know what you want to study, don't just pick a random major. Spend your freshman year figuring it out while taking general electives and such

Learn to bow to professor's demands if you want to get good grades

Don't skip class

Live in the dorm freshman year if you can

...but don't stay in your dorm all the time

You'll be fine, you should be excited, pretty cool and big moment in life
>>
>>17729867

>Shitty english major, education minor

I'd tell myself to never, never apply to the college that I'm at right now.

>Random tips

Live in the dorm your freshman year like >>17729891 says

If you don't know how to cook, DON'T get a mealplan. Don't get a mealplan anyway, except for (maybe) one to save you when you're out of groceries and can't get to the store. Fuck mealplans, they're a waste of money.

Internships and volunteer work look better on your resume than club leadership positions, and are better for networking. Club memberships = Networking with other students, Internships/Volunteering = Networking with professionals = Letters of recommendation.
>>
>>17729918
What is wrong with meal plans? Not OP, but I'm going on exchange to an American university and was wondering what the best option for a meal plan is.
>>
>>17729867
>major
Biology
>What I'd tell my freshman self
Join a club; I did marching band all through high school but didn't in my first year of college. Instead I got a shitty restaurant job, worked 30 hours a week and had zero friends. Sophmore year I joined the college band and really resented that I hadn't done it sooner
>Random tip
Get 8 hours of sleep. Don't put anything to the last minute. Go to class. Ask your profs and classmates for help with schoolwork.
>>
File: 1474559811493.jpg (126KB, 1024x603px) Image search: [Google]
1474559811493.jpg
126KB, 1024x603px
>>17729867
Nothing crazy about it.

Just have the discipline to study, try to get experience relevant to your desired major, and DON'T major in anything useless. Like 90% of the degrees offered will barely land you a job i.e. English, Biology, Art/Film, humanities, etc. Do your research.
>>
Law
Talk to people, you're not going to make friends just sitting on your ass
Learn how you learn. Not everyone learns the same way, and one technique doesn't work across every subject. Knowing how you learn also helps with time management and stress management
>>
>>17729867
>>what's your major
Physics (already graduated though)
>>What would you tell your freshmen self if you could go back in time
Take every class seriously, even if you don't like it. Back then I wasn't ready for a lot of social interaction, but if I could do it as the person I am now I would also be way more active in the school.
>>random tip
Take your first couple years to do gen ed if you aren't sure of your major. I'm a firm believer of study what you love and worry about a job later. If you do well in school and pursue enough extra curriculars you will be able to find a job come graduation.
>>
File: 1478075818728.jpg (37KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
1478075818728.jpg
37KB, 480x480px
>>17730113
>Take your first couple years to do gen ed if you aren't sure of your major.

>years

This isn't necessary though. You can't just figure out what you want to dedicate your entire life to by taking some boring gen-ed classes. That's hundreds of hours and a couple thousand down the drain and student debt

You can figure this stuff out simply by doing research and checking out free online resources, and talking to people in the workforce, which can be done for the fraction of time/money. Then go to college when you have an idea. Switch majors if needed, but don't go to college with 0 clue.

All this talk about "figuring out your passion through gen-ed, take your time!" is mostly bullshit echoed by Unis to take your money and students who didn't know any better

And no, a job doesn't always show up. that's a pretty naive idea tbqh
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.