[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

black face

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_8033.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8033.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
So this guy I know went in blackface for halloween. As you might imagine, it caused quite a stir.

I cant really say he's my friend, but we've known each other a long long time. He's roughly my age (mid-40's)

So here's the deal, I am 90% sure he suffers from some sort of autism. He really cant relate to others and doesnt get the normal give and take of friendships and conversation.

Also, I know his intent was to satirise the minstrel culture, so in effect, his costume was dressing up as someone who dressed as a black guy. like the point was to ridicule the ridiculous racism of the past.

That said, who doesnt know that blackface is just going to cause a ration of shit. Ordinarily, I'd just be like - sucks to be you. unfortunately it has gotten out of hand. He has a daughter in my sons class who hasnt been in school all week because they have had death threats and he has lost his jobs. His wife is a sweet woman, but I am guessing she will leave him for being such a dumbass.

I dont know what advice I am asking for, but maybe just tell me if I should try to help him or not.
>>
>>17728350
Ow, that poor sucker.
I think you should stay outta this, lest you invoke the wrath of the nogs upon yourself.
Shit tho, death threats? What kind of puddle do you live in?
>>
>>17728350
Someone has to help him op. If it's not you, who is it gonna be?
>>
>>17728440
Dude, it isnt the black folks that are threatening him. Most of my black friends and co-workers think its stupid and he's an idiot, but its the SJW's that are all over him.

I am guessing its all keyboard bravado, but who knows.

I dont want to say where, lest I cause more shit, but...not exactly SF but not Biloxi either.
>>
>>17728465
how can I do this? I mean, if I post or try to "explain" his intent, it comes back as privelged whitey defends other priv'ed whitey"

And yes, we both are privileged and know it.
>>
>>17728350
Tell him to give a formal public apology explaining why he did it and what he learned.
He wont be forgiven until then and theres nothing you can do. Its his fault for being insensitive.
If he goes on stand and says Im autistic so I didnt realize I was being insensitive people would be more forgiving.
>>
>>17728475
He gave a pretty serious apology, got fired from one job and quit the other because of threat of boycott. He has apologized on fb/twitter and insta
on 2 of three local news and in the morning daily paper.

To no avail.

Each apology just stirs up more "fuck you racist" taunts.

Will it blow over?

Oh and these are no "sorry your feelings got hurt" apologies...they are " I am so sorry that i was a complete dumbass and did this stupid thing that hurt people. I am ashamed and will always regret my actions."
>>
>>17728350
>He has a daughter in my sons class who hasnt been in school all week because they have had death threats and he has lost his jobs. His wife is a sweet woman, but I am guessing she will leave him for being such a dumbass.
Maaaan... it was a boneheaded move, to be sure, but nobody deserves all that over a stupid Halloween costume. Fucking hypocrites
>>
>>17728500
my thoughts exactly. I mean he is a hard to deal with guy who likes to cause a stir, but this is more than bargained for or deserved.
>>
>>17728350
Did you at least try to warn him the costume was a bad idea? Did anyone take him aside and say "dude I think you're gonna cause more trouble than you want?"

people go way too crazy with this stuff. Most black people would see something like this, look at your friend, say "that guy's a fucking idiot," and move right on. The punishment doesn't fit the crime here
>>
>>17728485
>He gave a pretty serious apology
Not serious enough. Tell him to keep at it publicly. And dont forget the "Im autistic so I didnt realize what I was doing"
He needs to show hes learned from his actions. Anyone can say sorry after they upset someone. You have to grow from it to show you really mean it.
>>
>>17728508
>17728508
I didnt find out about it til another dad told me on halloween. It happened saturday night.

Like I said, we've "known" each other for 30 years, but we arent really friends.

Its fucking insane.

And my rationale instincts are soooo offended by how people just can't understand the meta argument he was trying to make...He wasnt wearing blackface like some ollege frat guy mocking black people...he was wearing the costume of a blackface minstrel. He was mocking the mocker. At a 1920's themed party no less.

Still stupid, because you know people arent going to get it, but once it is explained, maybe back off a little, right?
>>
>>17728540
not sure he is diagnosed autistic...I just read him that way because of his inability to connect.

maybe just narcisistic tho
>>
>>17728552
Its not about getting the meta. Its about crossing lines. You cant pretend to be a racist drag sock puppets around of black people being lynched because its funny to act racist.
What he did shows that he doesnt understand the gravity of the mistreatment of blacks and thats why hes not going to get a break.
>>
>>17728350
Don't be such a pushover. Stand up for your values. People will be right behind you, and if they aren't then you should run.

Song exactly related.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ow-nuHCTA5E
>>
>>17728540
No, at a certain point, the best thing he can do is just shut his mouth and let them move on to another target. You've seen how these situations can turn into witch-hunts. He already did the "bad thing," there's absolutely nothing he can say at this point.

Apologies and logic will not work on these people. They don't want to educate him, they don't really care about correcting racism. They just want a socially acceptable target, someone they can use to take out their anger and frustration, while still telling themselves they're doing "something important" rather than just bullying.

In a week or so, somebody else will make a stupid joke in a public setting, and the mob's attention will shift to fresh meat
>>
>>17728559
Be honest, are you black? Are you so sure that you speak for "blacks" when you say things like this? Racism is real, but people like OP's acquaintance are not the real problem. They're just low-hanging fruit, the easiest target. If you really gave a shit, you'd go after people who actually perpetuate discrimination in a meaningful, tangible way. But wait - that requires real effort. Forget it. Holy shit, is that dumb white bitch wearing a Native American headdress? Oh boy, I'm gonna say something about this. She needs a Good Person(tm) to educate her on cultural appropriation!!!
>>
>>17728689
Not 100% related but first check my trips>>17728555

Now to the point. I 100% believe that cultural appropriation is what America is all about...

We all share our common humanity by celebrating and sharing our respective backgrounds.

Its the ones that want to stay separate we should worry about.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.