[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Work Stress

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: download (1).jpg (8KB, 275x183px) Image search: [Google]
download (1).jpg
8KB, 275x183px
Hey adv, this is a long one, I appologize.

Today I called in sick. I'm not physically sick, just mentally. I work for a small residential construction company..as in my boss and myself.

I've worked with him for 3 years now, and I love the work. The pay is decent and I really feel competent with what I do. I show up every day with a smile.

I couldn't do that today. My boss called me yesterday and started bitching me out because he couldn't find some tools, sure we left them at a job. It's a good possibility, it's happened before, and I've been bitched at before. I've been told to search each jobsite and double check for tools, which I do. Whenever a tool is out of place in the van, he makes some snide comment about it being in the wrong place. The thing is, I put every tool where it belongs.

It's his van, and he always leaves it a mess. If I clean it at a job, I'm wasting time. Everything is always a rush, and always catch 22. His garage is a disaster. His organizational skills are so terrible he can't even find customers from a week ago.

It's not just organizational problems, either. God forbid something takes longer than expected, to which he makes sure to ask "want me to do it?" in a condescending tone.

He constantly underestimates the time period a project demands, resulting in a ragefit the last few days of a job, complete with panic, tool smashing/throwing, and of course anger directed towards me...not to mention more mistakes, which leads to more time and rage, etc.

When we subcontract work from other contractors, I am positive he throws me under the bus for every mistake. I've caught him doing it, even to an employee at Home Depot for a door that had dents in it we couldnt origanally see, claiming his helper didn't look it over. When he found out I was right behind him he laughed it off as a joke. I thought it was funny, too, considering I had only worked with him for about a month at the time.
>>
>>17722242

Not sure what advice you're looking for here, but everyone needs a mental health day here or there.

I'm not sure if that's a sign of a job you hate, or if people who like their jobs do it too.
>>
Cont.

But, now, contractors treat me differently. I've heard one speak with him in the other room about how he "knows it wasn't you" who made whatever mistake. It was a cabinet, and I was installing baseboard - he did the cabinet.

He thinks he is funny. He thinks he is the smartest guy in the world. When we eat lunch he can't help but talk about this hot chick or that. He is in his 50's yet can't stop talking about how cool he was, or who he fucked in the past. Backhanded comments that put him higher and put me down are constant.

I don't understand why I dont quit. I have multiple job offers from other companies. I'm afraid to quit, I guess, like it's the wrong thing to do. Like I should just tough it out like I already have. I care about him, I don't want to let him down, I feel like leaving would out him in a bad spot.

There is so much more to say, I'll leave it at that for now. I had to warn in the first post it would be long after I ran out of characters.

I'm stressed. I'm a little afraid, guilty, and anxious. I called in sick today when I knew he needed me for a new project with another contractor, one he holds with the highest esteem. I called him and gave him a big, virtual fuck you, and he knows it. I haven't spoken with him since earlier this morning.

So, yeah, what would you do? Thanks for the vent, guys.
>>
>>17722256
Sorry, typing on my phone, should have mentioned i'd be continuing.
>>
It's just a job man.
>>
>>17722259

I'm on the precipice of quitting myself. You can't let yourself get trapped by some faux sense of duty, and it sounds like what you do for a living is making you hate other parts of your life.

Life is short, and if you don't have a wife or kids, take the leap while you still can. You won't get many more opportunities.
>>
>>17722266
Trust me, that is the best thing people tell me. I know it's just a job, but for some reason I get so damn hard on myself.

Like, really, I'd feel so shitty to quit. It's stupid. A personal pride thing that I know is flawed. I could snag a job in the same career within a day or so, but it eats me up, like I failed or something.
>>
>>17722275
My approach is to milk the job for all it's worth and eventually get fired instead.

It makes the decision for me, I get whatever I can out of the situation, and if done appropriately you get unemployment for the next year and can find a different job.
>>
>>17722270
You are absolutely right. It's funny because I have been purchasing tools here and there to eventually go off on my own. And, by eventually I mean within a year or two. I don't have my finances squared away solidly enough yet, so I still need an employer for now.

I have a girlfriend and a house, a cat, and a dog. That's my family, so I do support something. This business isn't steady 40 hours a week either, especially in the winter, so I am nervous to jump ship and re-establish habits and finances.

I guess to simplify what I am asking I would have to ask for advice on how to feel confident with the decisions I make.
>>
>>17722278
I think that is what I am doing right now. I would hate to get fired, though. I'd still like the reference, but then again I'm not even sure he wouldn't hold a grudge against me.

Unemployment is a no-go seeing as I am 1099ed.
>>
>>17722287

You can't, unless there's something waiting for you on the other side that a friend already does or something. I know I'm basically saying Geronimo and jumping into a dark fog, hoping I'll land on solid ground.

I have a little more faith, and an educated guess of where things will go, but it's more like "welp, hope this works out" for me.
>>
>>17722298
Yeah, well said. And I've jumped so many times. It's not the jump that hurts, it's the thought before the jump.

What do you do? You sound like you work a similar field.
>>
>>17722295
You've really just got to treat it like a POS job, man. Show up, do your shit, go home, and if the boss tries to call you when you're not working, let him leave a message and check it in the morning while you're getting ready.
>>
>>17722310

Nope, nowhere close. I work in digital marketing for a Fortune 500 company. That's changing my job title and role completely arbitrarily, so I need to get the fuck up out.
>>
>>17722312
You're right. I guess in my head I have this fantasy that work is solid, and that I'm too tough to be affected emotionally/mentally/whatever. Shit, I've quit every other job just because I felt like it..no drama or anything for most of them. Just bored and quit. Why not this one?

The guy is super good at what he does, and it wouldn't be at all fair to say he hasn't taught me everything I know or helped me. He's even given me tools he had extras of. I mean, sometimes he can be a decent guy. The respect just isn't there, and after 3 years I just don't want to deal with it. I've asked him, told him, to stop doing certain things. I feel bad for him because I really don't think he has what it takes to grow the business without me. Since I came on, I've handled all his internet related marketing, pushed for company uniforms, etc. I even designed the logo. I've invested myself into it pretty hard, so giving up really pushes that sense of failure.
>>
>>17722317
Oh, that sucks. What's holding you back?
>>
You just gotta stand up for yourself and don't let yourself be a doormat. He only does it because you allow him to do it. He obviously won't fire you because you stated that even he needs you.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.