[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Just got a job offer at a big financial company. 72k starting

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: brain1.jpg (101KB, 660x528px) Image search: [Google]
brain1.jpg
101KB, 660x528px
Just got a job offer at a big financial company. 72k starting with BS in mechanical engineering and nuclear physics.

Will the world be disappointed in me for not continuing my research and inventions?
>>
>>17721901
Fuck bitches, get money OP. You're going to wish you fucked more bitches and got more money when you're old and tired. Ask any old guy.
>>
>>17721901
>72k starting
Go get money. Bang chicks. Enjoy life.

How is anybody honestly conflicted about this?
>>
>>17721903
Is 72k even that good? The position is for data science internship, when it concludes I can be offered full time at around 100-110k.

But still it feels like I have thrown away all my research and all my grant writing just for the cash. I dunno I always dreamed of being a great scientist, but academia kinda shit on me.
>>
>>17721904
$72,000 is good depending on where you'll be living. It isn't a whole lot in NYC, but somewhere like Rapid City, South Dakota, it will be a nice salary. $72,000 for an internship is fucking great no matter what, stop bitching. People like people who have actually worked, not people who have been in academia for their entire life. It's not like you can't just do this for a few years and go back into academia if you really wanted to.
>>
>>17721901
You can work and do research at the same time, baka OP.
>>
>>17721906
That might be the route I take. If I received a grant for funding, can I take all the equipment I purchased to my home when I leave? I don't think anyone would notice.
>>
>>17721904
>academia kinda shit on me
That's all most of those spergs do anymore is shit on everyone. Why sign on for more of it? You'll be making more than most of them if you get on full time after your internship, so who cares?
>>
>>17721908
Yeah you are right. People were mean to me when I posted my research here before.
>>
>>17721901
>72k starting with BS in mechanical engineering and nuclear physics.

i got offered 80k starting to do maintenance with just a BS in mech E. don't sell out for less than six figures.
>>
>>17721910
>E. don't sell out for less than six figures
Seriously though. Dude is getting offered 6k a month for an internship. Take it.
>>
>>17721904
My dad makes 102k a year with a MS in aerospace Engineering. He's 52 and lives in Massachusetts. 72 grand is fine you fucking retard. Why are kids these days so delusional when it comes to income?
>>
>>17721912
>Why are kids these days so delusional when it comes to income?

Because schools these days are so delusional when it comes to tuitions. If you're looking at having to pay back $100k in loans, you need to be kind of picky about job offers.
>>
sounds like a good deal to me, maybe down the line you could move into managing engineering projects that the finance guys can't touch, or start your own company
>>
>>17721913
This is why it's obvious that this board consists of mainly 16-20 year olds: you have 0 actual life experience. The banks will work with you, it's the cheapest debt you'll have in your life. Don't go buy the most expensive house and a brand new car right away, pay down your debt, save some while you're at it, then refi shit in ten or twenty years when you're in a better financial situation. For fucks sake, listen to your dad once in a while?
>>
>>17721904
what do you know re data science? if little, then i have know idea how you were offered a position at a competitive company. if you know a bit, then you would be stupid to not take the position. data science salaries are still inflated, so you're setting yourself up to be in a good financial position.
>>
>>17721901
>data science
>BS in mechanical engineering and nuclear physics
If this is real, what is the intersection between these two fields? what did the company consider "relevant experience" in your curriculum and what will you do in the company?
I'm asking because I might be in a similar situation, my undergrad thesis was about topological quantum error correction in a top UK institute and I got offered Data engineer position at a company in SF bay area. I might not take it because it's kinda weird for me to work for a startup trying to solve their large scale non-quantum problems. But then SF sounds like a nice place to live.
>>
>>17721901

The world doesn't even know you exist. Just take the damn job.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.