[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Bar Etiquette

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

Can someone teach me bar/pub etiquette?

I've been trying to make myself be more social. Going out to little sports bars/pubs etc. I don't drink, but I go there to eat and I wanna talk and meet people.

I went out last night and went to the bar and there was only one open seat. It was next to an older attractive lady. I wanted to set but wondered if she was waiting on someone, so I passed it by. There was no open tables either. It was really packed so I left.

But I know it's a really stupid question and you will make fun of me, but what does one do in those situations? Just plop down. Ask the lady if the seat is taken?

And then what do I do once I've set. Ask for a menu? Then just talk to random people.

I know its simple for some of you, but seriously I have never done this stuff and it seems hard. Makes me anxious and feels like everyone is watching.
>>
1.) Obviously, only ever go to the countertop.
2.) If you see an open seat next to someone, don't sit down yet. Ask them if the seat is taken. If yes, move on. If no, ask them if they mind if you sit down. If they don't mind. you may then sit down.
3.) Make small talk. Hello, how's your night, what's your name, my name is, nice to meet you, what do you think you'll get on the menu, etc. etc. After they say your name and you say yours, handshake if you're talking to a dude, slight head nod if you're talking to a chick (unless she reaches her hand out to you first, then you may handshake.)
4.) The entire purpose of the bar is to bullshit. Nobody goes there expecting productive or stimulating conversation and nobody really frets too much over what to say, especially if they're drunk. Most people like to talk about themselves; listen intently, ask questions, sympathize. They'll just be happy to have someone who's listening to them, especially if they're alone and a dude, 'cuz society doesn't give a fuck about dude problems.
5.) Chicks also yap on about their lives. Nobody goes to drink because they're happy. Also she'll be expecting you to hit on her, so like, don't, and you'll immediately be better than 95% of dudes at bars.

You seem like a perceptive person. Just remember basic seating protocol and you'll do fine. If you get too anxious, just loosen up with a light beer or two. It's called the "social lubricant" for a reason.
>>
>>17720674
Thanks very much anon

what do you mean only go to the countertop?
>>
>>17720688
Don't go join people at a table or take a table on your own is what I assume he meant
>>
>>17720832
Oh ok, thanks
>>
>>17720832
Only do it if you're meeting friends. The bar is for meeting with strangers the tables are for getting together with friends.
>>
>>17720931
ok gotcha

and do i just ask the bartender for a menu and most places let you eat at the bar?
>>
>>17720954
Yes you can eat at the bar no matter where you go. And no it isnt odd or abnormal to do so.
>>
>>17720961
Ok I'm gonna try again soon.

Is it safe to say a girl by herself is looking to meet someone
>>
>>17720970
>Is it safe to say a girl by herself is looking to meet someone
Absolutely not

It is safe to say that most people who go to bars alone are looking to be friendly, there are some that arent. And by friendly i mean just casual conversation, not looking to make buddies or take someone home.
>>
>>17720970
Depends on the girl. Some of them are and some of them aren't. If they aren't they will throw some signals out or tell you directly. Just say sorry for bothering you have a nice night and move on.
>>
>>17720674
This guy gets it. Only thing I can add is be light hearted as opposed to serious, don't walk in with certain expectations for the night and just go with the flow. Some of my best stories are from going to a bar for a beer alone.
>>
>>17720976
>>17720984
>>17721092
thanks

is it ok to set at the bar and not drink alcohol?
>>
>>17721878
Depends on the bar, also don't be shy people are at the bar to have fun.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.