[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Epidemic of suicide in my town

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

File: crying.jpg (68KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
crying.jpg
68KB, 700x700px
I'm from a smallish town. My graduating class was about 150 people.

This weekend our town has lost the sixth person from my high school graduating class or adjacent to suicide.

I'm 24 years old and know people my age from more densely populated areas who don't know anyone personally who committed suicide. I know six!

Of those six, only two had a diagnosed acute mental illness that included hallucinations, delusions, and generally legit psychotic behavior. For the most part they've all been normal dudes, too. Especially the one who took his life this weekend. He was kind of an "all-American" guy I guess you could say.

I'm just at a loss for words mostly and it helps to type this out. I don't know how to respond.
>>
File: Romans on sloth.png (731KB, 742x428px) Image search: [Google]
Romans on sloth.png
731KB, 742x428px
>>17720045

Negative actions have far more impact than others especially in close knit communities/friend groups.

STudies have shown that if someone in a friend group gets divorced, others in that same group are 40% more likely to get divorced, and similar numbers occur for suicides, drug use, etc. The fact that it is a small town compounds the effect.

No man can read another mans thoughts. People who argue that "Oh, this person seemed normal" or "That dude's a freak" never really understand other people. John Gacy seemed like a normal dude, my friend used to mow his lawn. What people see and what is actually there are two vastly different things, and you have to constantly check yourself from doing it.

As for how to respond. Just take a look at your own life and try to make better decisions, and live a life you would be honored in continue to live in.
>>
>>17720045
This is actually a fairly common thing, called a suicide cluster. When someone kills themselves it removes the taboo for others, for example relatives of a suicide are much likelier to suicide themselves. For these highschool clusters what can happen is after the first suicide others see the attention that suicide got, and how former tormenters are racked with guilt.
>>
>>17720045
Similar thing happened near me a while back

Don't get sucked into it. Keep an eye out for each other

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bridgend_suicide_incidents
>>
>>17720073
>>17720085

Not OP but damn, this is scary as fuck
>>
>>17720045

graduation has become a scary thing. we arent old enough to drink or go to the bathroom without asking permission but they expect us to know exactly what to do with our lives and go to college adn know what degree we want and have not had sex yet because we need to eb more responsible than adults about our sex lives...

yet somehow figure out how to afford college. its so fucking dumb.

s oa lot of people are killing themselves after graduation cuz they're scared and dont know what to do.

also, suicide pact.
>>
>>17720085
Happened to my high school also.
Varsity star athelete kills himself, then two weeks later two other normal kids killee them selves.
>>
>>17720529
This is why I think people should take a couple years off and work before going to college. You'll have a better idea of what your interests are when you're older.
>>
>>17720045
>>17720085
>>17720073
Yeah, there was a well-publicised suicide cluster in Brigend Wales some years ago.

I guess it's a copycat thing; young people (or many people in general) often have this vague angst and aimlessness somewhere within, teen drama, the stress of choosing the direction of your life and growing up - and when they see their peers, someone like them, choose a way out via suicide, and especially see all the heartfelt eulogies, candle vigils, everyone speaking so praisingly of the person who killed themselves, everyone feeling so bad about not having listened to them or having ignored or mistreated them - well, it's sort of enticing. This fantasy of "I'll run away and die and then they'll all be sorry they weren't nice to me before it was too late" is quite common especially among kids.

So in fact it was found that the more attention in the media the suicides got, the more suicides there were. The more there were these "why did they do it", "why did no-one help", "what could have been done differently", "such a tragedy", "so full of promise, gone too soon, good night sweet princess" type articles the more young people will kill themselves.

So while it seems harsh, a good reaction might not be to glorify people who kill themselves as tragic victims of the cruel world, but rather imply that it's a loser's way out. Even if it seems cruel. Or just not publicise it at all.

Good luck and strength and dealing with these incidents and the loss of friends, anon.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bridgend_suicide_incidents
http://www.vanityfair.com/culture/2009/02/wales-suicides200902
http://www.blumhouse.com/2016/08/05/suicide-club-the-shocking-stories-behind-the-bridgend-suicides/
>>
>>17722491
>>17720073
yeah, this is the advice I can give you.
I also ran between the edges of life and suicide right after graduation.
I swam in my self-pity because I am not smart.
School was really hard and anguish was pressed into my heart as I graduated with the worst marks of the entire school.

I planned on taking my life because I felt that graduating at all was the highest thing I will ever achieve in life and I was trying to set a sign to my peers and all those who needed support when parents and others were bashing their heads onto one's studies as to why one is unable to produce good marks.

But I came back to my senses, suicide is truly the loser's way out. Suicide diminish your worth and undermines my hard work at making my graduation work. It's still the worst graduation of my school by a mile but in comparison, not many kids are able to visit a school and take their chances on graduation.

I felt better, I just needed to sort my life. Begin from zero. Make better life choices. And not get influenced into doing stupid shit that only stupid kids do.
>>
I know this may seem like a statistically significant cluster, but it is not.

Let me start by saying I agree with the comment regarding the removal or taboo from suicide.

However, when you are examining an outbreak, the first thing you do is ask "is this really an outbreak"? To do this you compare the suicide rate to that of the rest of the country. You can use statistical analysis to compare your sample to the national average. Let's say the relative risk of death by suicide in your graduating class was 3x the national average. You still have to ask yourself if you have enough statistical power to narrow your confidence interval to the point that you could be sure suicide rates are higher in this area.

With a grouping of 150, your power is pretty low.

You should also control for confounders like low socioeconomic status, race, pre-existing depression, gender.

I think you will find after controlling for confounders there is no "epidemic" at all.

You should not call the CDC and report this.
>>
>>17722491
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bridgend_suicide_incidents
>http://www.vanityfair.com/culture/2009/02/wales-suicides200902
>http://www.blumhouse.com/2016/08/05/suicide-club-the-shocking-stories-behind-the-bridgend-suicides/

>celts

wow how surprising that such an intelligent group of people did this. what a tragedy
>>
Sounds to me like a plot hook. Grab your sword and start investigating. Shit will turn out to be a scary cult in a wicked looking mansion trying to summon cthulhu I guarantee you.
>>
>>17722687
They say there isn't far between clever and crazy.. Some people who have high intelligence see the world differently ..
>>
>>17720045
Are you from Hayford WA? Is it the radiations?
>>
>>17722687
Suicide clusters are a worldwide phenomenon, anon.

We're in a thread where an American kid is describing a similar thing in his American town.
>>
Drugs and war are the 2 biggest contributors to suicide.

search engine the 800 suicide hotline, Ironically always looking for Volunteers.
>>
>>17722564
I'm glad you hung in there through the precipice phase, anon.
>>
Millennials are emotionally week people.
>>
OP again

Even if it's not "statistically significant", the number of suicide deaths is far outpacing even traffic deaths. Doesn't seem normal to me!
>>
>>17723019
Do you think it is caused by some factor like polution or micro brain bleeds? Or are you just stating something?
>>
>>17723026

I'm just thinking out loud. If anything it's reminiscent of

http://www.mlive.com/news/index.ssf/2016/09/love_of_guns_a_key_factor_in_n.html

without the guns (ignore the gun-nabbing in that article)
>>
>>17723028
Are you sure that all of the people died using guns?

In my area the most common suicide is laying down on the train tracks
>>
>>17720045
Are you from a very cloudy area. Lack of sun makes people depressed. Like Cornell, New York. That place is suicide heavy. It's cloudy
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.