[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

This is a question concerning career advice, originating from

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 4

File: 1477796485227.png (917KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1477796485227.png
917KB, 1920x1080px
This is a question concerning career advice, originating from a NEET.

I've escalated from 2 1/2 years of sitting at home and hating myself. I've got a job at a call center, making ~$12 an hour and now I want to go back to school. I'm trying to figure out how to do this, because I have already dropped out and have a student loan.

I took a single semester, passed the singular class I took, but was not able to fill out my FAFSA for the next term due to my mother being incapacitated. I couldn't fill it out without my mothers tax information. I have my eye on Saint Petersburg College in Florida. (Since one of the campuses are local to me) I'm looking to get into systems administration, and I want to know if I can go back to school (part time, so I can also go to work to pay off any debts) and if so, how would I even begin to go about it?
>>
File: 1477796592940 (1).jpg (502KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1477796592940 (1).jpg
502KB, 1920x1080px
Is "Bachelor of Applied Science in Technology Development and Management" even a valid degree? It sounds like they had to rename it to something bizzare because it doesn't follow any regional requirements for just "BaS in Systems Administration" or "BaS in Software Development"
>>
File: 1477796092655.jpg (900KB, 4158x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1477796092655.jpg
900KB, 4158x1080px
I'm not above bumping this until I get a response.
>>
File: 1477797053772.jpg (172KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1477797053772.jpg
172KB, 1920x1080px
I spoke to the head of IT at my job to try to get an idea of what he would personally be looking for if I want to be hired, and he said experience was key, and degree came secondary.
Should I start creating sandbox environments for demonstration purposes? I am aware of individuals building blogs to demonstrate proofs of concept.
>>
Bump. Why am I not getting any responses?
>>
>>17720118

Sys admin jobs don't go to people without experience in IT. They just don't. One big fuckup in sys admin can be all it takes to sink a company. For this reason, companies pretty much never hand the keys to anyone with less than a decade of experience in IT.

>Should I start creating...?

Yes. You should always be creating, and you should finish at least half of the things you start, and should document things you finish on an online portfolio for prospective employers to look through. All this falls under the heading of, "building credibility."

Beyond that, I don't have much advice to give, but there's tons for you to get, if you Google for it. Look for people telling their stories about how they broke into the industry. It will help you get a sense for the time scale you should expect things to happen at.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.