[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Career choice

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 3

File: dT87xjEjc.jpg (1MB, 4000x4000px) Image search: [Google]
dT87xjEjc.jpg
1MB, 4000x4000px
I'm going to go to university soon and need to pick a major based on what I want a career in. The trouble is, there are two fields that I'm having trouble choosing between:

>Theoretical/astrophysics: harder to get a job in and generally lower pay, but is my dream field to go into; I would be a happy man but not very wealthy most likely

>Biology/pre-med: higher paying jobs that are easier to get, will help me get all of my medical needs met; I like it a lot but not like I like physics

So, the classic question of "Should I do what I love or go for the $?". The reason that I want the money is that I want extensive plastic surgery and will be able to raise enough money quicker with a higher paying job.

Which field should I choose a major in?
>>
I'd recommend having a type of job or research area in mind instead of just a field of study.
>>
>>17719389
I was told that people very rarely get the exact job that they were planning for going into college, so that's why I have fields instead of specific jobs
>>
>>17719337
Let me explain this as someone who sees fuckers like you all the time
>1
Get your head ot of your ass, you and every other kid who breezed through the simple highschool shit thinks they are going to be a physicist or bio/premed->doctor

You do not need to choose a major for your freshman year, even if you got every AP or dual credit possible, you still have atleast a semester or two worth of freshman school-wide generic classes.

Take those classes, figure out what you actually enjoy doing, otherwise you'll be in an office like mine complaining about how much you hate yourself and are so stressed because you have to study so much for something you hate/just can't do.
>>
Find some numbers of people in the fields you're interested in (probably just general company phone numbers, at first). Even a quick, 15 minute informal interview is all you need to have a MUCH better idea of what you really want to do in the future. If you can talk yourself into it, consider doing a job shadow. Like maybe 4 hours of hanging around the person you want to be. It's alright to be nervous about doing something like this, but it'll be worth it.
>>
File: 1465155190733.jpg (893KB, 2288x1617px) Image search: [Google]
1465155190733.jpg
893KB, 2288x1617px
>>17719337
Last time I checked, there was no real degree requirements for getting into medical school (US). They only care that you fulfilled certain course prerequisites. Some degrees will obviously have an easier times covering these than others like biology, but there isn't an actual degree restriction. I even remember reading that more exotic degrees like physics are a plus since 90% of their applicants will be biology/chemistry/etc. and seeing something different is a definite plus.

This is what I'd do. Major in physics, and also take whatever prerequisites medical schools require for admission on the side. Shouldn't take too much longer than a pure degree. In the meantime, make sure that you actually do like physics like you say you do. It's a long, hard path to a research position; one that will probably take more time and effort than medical school and pay less in the end. The good news is that you won't be in debt, since you'll be on a stipend for your PhD.

And if you make sure to learn other practical skills on the side, like programming (C++, Python, etc.), you can always try and transition from a physics PhD to another field like finance, which can potentially earn you more than being a doctor. Either way, make sure you do as much undergraduate research as possible to see if you actually like physics research and talk with your professors after hours to see if they have any opportunities to do stuff you might be interested in.

If you learn you hate physics after you finish your undergraduate degree, you can always apply to medical school (since you've finished all your course requirements in the meantime). If you learn you hate physics after your PhD, you can always go find other lucrative jobs (since you have other skills you can combine with it (programming, electronics, finance). And if you learn you truly do love it, than you can pursue it afterwards via industry or Postdoc.
>>
>>17719507
Thanks for all of the advice. How many courses are you required to take to be on a premed track?
>>
File: 1472855598932.png (48KB, 1024x751px)
1472855598932.png
48KB, 1024x751px
>>17719550
>http://www.georgetowncollege.edu/bio/student-resources/planning-and-scheduling/pre-med-a-4-year-plan/
No idea, it's been several years since I've taken a look at premed. Google and read up on shit like the above. Both paths aren't easy by any stretch of the imagination and like >>17719410 said, you likely won't end up doing either. Which is why you always need to have a backup plan. Good luck m8, physics is a beautiful science even if the actual work can be drudgery.
>>
>>17719652
thanks again
>>
If you have no idea what you want to do, do what your family does. It's not a bad thing to do what your dad did.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.