[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I fucked up, how to deal with a shitty fucking roommate?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_2590.jpg (66KB, 396x282px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2590.jpg
66KB, 396x282px
Greentext will make this easier to organize
> be me, 20 y.o college student
> move into an off campus apartment with two guys I'm sorta friends with from the dorms freshman year
> they decide to use our garage as their personal smoke spot
> lease has all of our names on it, since it isn't a school-run apartment complex
> been asking them to stop smoking, has almost resulted in these fuckers starting fist fights because I ask them to smoke somewhere else
> both have now dropped out of college, and work shitty minimum wage jobs - only using their money to buy more weed
> few months left on the lease after August, until March I suppose but the point still stands
> Decide I'll just stick it out, they aren't blatantly doing it in a way that will get us all evicted

And of course I can't catch a fucking break
> be bringing groceries in yesterday, walk through garage and accidentally hit brand new bong that smashes into pieces
> give roommate money, I know that shit is expensive so I reimburse him because it's my fault
> caught the fucker trying to steal shit out of my room

So, you'd tell me to break the lease and move out, right? Well here's the problem:

> The lease has my parents as guarantors on it since the three of us didn't have good incomes
> all three of us are signatories
> parents live 6~ hours away, so I have nowhere to move to

I'm tempted to call the police since I have no weed or paraphenalia in my private spaces, but I don't want to be evicted alongside them because drug use and smoking is pbviously breaking the lease rules

I'm stressing out beyond belief right now, and I have no idea what to do. They are getting more and more violent as time goes on, and I'm honestly fearing for my safety.

What do I do?
>>
Install a lock on your door.

Next time think before moving in with people you don't know.
>>
>>17719289
I agree full heartedly with that, but I acted like a dumbass and now I'm here.

The problem isn't just him stealing shit though, I don't want to get evicted when these dumbasses inevitably get caught.

So can you try helping me find a course of action that doesn't completely fuck me but gets them the fuck out?

Do you think if I approached the leasing office about it that they would listen and tell me what to do about roommates smoking in the apartment?

Or do you think they would just send the cops?

Would it help if I just went ahead and called the cops so they know I don't want to live with this shit?
>>
>>17719281
You might not want to risk calling the cops because now you don't know if your roommates placed some weed or paraphernalia hidden in your room somewhere. If you allow cops to start searching the place then there's nothing yo you can do if you don't want them to search your room or make them leave. Sorry but, I don't really have any advice on what you should do, but I wanted to say calling cops might not be the greatest idea. Hopefully someone will give some good advice though.
>>
>>17719307
What state do you live in? I'm asking to see what are the marijuana laws there.
>>
>>17719318
Texas, so shit is harsh
>>
>>17719307
Would it help if I asked to get drug tested if they did find something in my room because I haven't gotten any secondhand smoke and I also haven't smoked myself in at least a year so I would pass with flying colors?
>>
>>17719327
It would help if you retained your own lawyer before doing anything.
>>
>>17719327
I'm assuming you meant to respond to my port which is below the one you linked. And no, it would not. Using marijuana is not illegal. What's illegal is possession of marijuana or paraphernalia. And because the lease has all of your names on it, I actually am unsure if you wouldn't get in trouble too even if it's not in your room. I don't know deeper about the laws.
>>
File: IMG_2614.jpg (28KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2614.jpg
28KB, 225x225px
>>17719349
My bad, but yeah I did.

So essentially I'm just going to have to wait till the lease runs out or get fucked

Great

Fucking kill me
>>
>>17719386
I don't know, maybe there is a way. Perhaps you could tell the leasing office they keep smoking weed and they would kick em out but you could stay. However, you need to check that with a lawyer or something to make sure they don't kick you out too.
>>
>>17719402
How would I afford a lawyer when I'm a broke ass college student with a part time job
>>
>>17719415
Maybe talk to another leasing office and see what they would do. They might be willing to give you advice. You could just call em up. It can't hurt.
>>
You deal or move OP, those are the only options with shitty roommates. You can wait for the lease to expire and fuck off on your own, or you can find some way to leave.
Personally tho, I'd call the cops. They're doing drugs illegally and stealing shit from you. It'd be justice if you ask me. Rat em out to the landlord at least, then when they try to slam you with the smoke damage you can at least have a claim to get out of it. Hell, even if you do get evicted at least you have a way out of your lease now and can get a new place. Just sue your druggie roommates for damages and compensation for the shit you didn't do.
Also record everything. You might think you're being paranoid, but when move out time comes and they've trashed the place, and the landlord says they don't give a fuck all 3 of you owe them money, you can take their asses to court for it. As a child of a lawyer, that's the number one thing I've learned from my dad. Document fucking everything.
>>
>>17719307
Maybe you could try to call the leasing office anonymously (not from your mobile) and just say you're asking for their advice because you don't know what to do? Or make up a free anon email account for this and send them an email asking for help and advice?

Then explain that you're worried and stressed about the behaviour of your housemates and that they've threatened you with physical violence over you trying to get them to stop breaking the rules and have attempted to steal your stuff, that you don't have anywhere to go if you won't get evicted and just don't know what to do.

Possibly they'll see you as a reliable tenant because you're on their side, trying to respect the rules, so they might be willing to sort out some sort of exception releasing you from the lease or whatever.

Also tell your fucking parents about what's going on in the flat they're the guarantors of, holy shit.
>>
>>17719415
If you take them to court, you can sue for your court fees as well. So your lawyer costs would come out of their pocket if you win.
>>
>>17719452
Dude but if he calls the cops then he's at risk of getting in trouble too. Calling the cops doesn't relieve him from being arrested if they find something in his room. And if he rats em out to landlord then how do you know he won't get evicted as well?

However, I do agree that he needs to document everything if he plans to call the cops or tell the landlord.
>>
>>17719473
That's a risk I'd take desu. I'd know I'm innocent and could prove it in court, that's all that matters. The whole paranoia thing of "Oh they planted shit in my room" is retarded. OP could just make sure he turns his room upside down beforehand to ensure that there's nothing in there. If OP is the one turning the goddamn fuckers in, he's not going to look as suspicious. Cops are going to see "Hmm, this dude is the one who's calling, his personal space is drug free, and he's not on drugs himself. It's highly likely that he just got some shitty druggie roommates and now he's trying to fix it."
What's going to look suspicious is when he fucking waits for the dumb shit stoners to get busted on their own accord and then suddenly he does look just as guilty because he just let it happen.

Being evicted sounds like a good thing in this situation desu. Gets him out of the hell hole, saves him from getting arrested with his drugged out roommates, and now he has the freedom to go fucking get a new place.
Plus, ratting them out to the landlord has the same effects as above. The landlords going to recognize "hey, this dude's coming to be about these people literally destroying my property. He's helping ME out here, so I probably should go easy on him since he's saving me money in the long run."
>>
>>17719529
Well, okay. That's reasonable. If those are the choices then I would say tell the landlord. If he calls the cops I imagine there's a chance the landlord won't find out about what they did wrong? Might even not believe the guy that he didn't do nuffin. I don't know, but if he wants to do one of those I say go to the office and tell them what's happening. They will hopefully not evict you and see you were honest unless they're retarded, which they can be.
>>
>>17719546
Yeah, I can agree with that. Landlords first would be the logical option, since typically police are reserved for the last resort. Even if they do evict OP though, like I said I don't think that would be the shittiest option for him. So they evict him, so he loses what, his deposit? Probably chump change in exchange for ditching dangerous shitty people without having to go through the legal system with them. He can tell his parents what's going on, I'm sure his parents will likely side with him since they clearly have a good enough relationship that they would cosign in the first place. He can just go find a new place.
>>
>>17719584
Yeah I think landlord would know what do to and if to call the police. Maybe he'd just kick em out and that's it. Gotta make sure though that they don't do something stupid to OP. Like what if they called the cops on OP and claimed it was OP's weed? I'm just thinking that the cops and landlord will have to trust him that it's not his weed and it's his roommates'.
>>
>>17719289

I had roommates that would go in my room and have sex on my private balcony. Go through my stuff etc on top of other annoying shit. I got a legit lock and they just broke the door off the show how in control they were.

Ended up moving out and cutting off all utilities lol.
>>
>>17719616
Thats why you document your innocence before hand. If I were OP, I'd set up some sort of cheap security camera type thing in my room while I'm gone, in case they try to break in and steal shit mostly. Just a webcam could do fine, or hell I've got a cheap $30 dash cam set up in my car that I'll sometimes move into other areas if I feel they need to be watched.

If I catch them smoking, I'd start recording with my phone or something secretly, ask them to knock it off, and if they tell me to fuck off well there's my evidence I tried. If they do actually stop, well I have black mail for when they start shit back up again.
>>
>>17719647
Kek back when I was in the dorms, I had these 3 roommates from hell. We were suite style, 2 rooms and a private bath, 2 girls to a room. I was the only one who would take out the bathroom trash. After about 3 months of taking out their used bloody tampons and pads, when I don't even get periods, I decided to play chicken with them and just let it sit. Trash overflowed, so they threw their shit on the ground. Literally. I cannot even begin to describe the smell that overcame the entire suite. My roommate talked on the phone all day and night, so I never got any sleep. Eventually I just started sleeping in the lounges and showering at the gym. Then my dad bought a run down house in the area that he intended to flip. He lived 2 hours away, so he gave me a key to it so I could just check up on it from time to time and make sure nobody broke into it while he was in between jobs on it. Then I just lived there. No electricity, water, or gas, and I had to fight off the rat infestation, but it was better than the dorms. Thank god my dad just gifted me that house after he finished it while I finished school and rented out the spare rooms.
>>
"The fact is, if you are both on the lease you are both jointly and severally liable for the rent as well as all other lease terms. If one of you is in breach of the lease (drugs), you both are in breach of the lease.

If you tell your landlord, you could both end up getting evicted. The landlord cannot just evict only your roommate, since an eviction is the legal demand for the return of possession of the property to the landlord."

This is what I found on Google, which was my concern for you OP.

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090713193439AAfaXDC
>>
How were you not familiar with their lifestyles before moving out with them? I saw a similar thread just a few days ago and it baffles me how someone who doesn't like pot would move in with stoners.
>>
>>17719673
Do you think they're still piling up they're tampons since you left?
>>
>>17719712
Idk, I hadn't gone in there for the last 4 months of the year. I assume one way or another someone had to clean it up since they all had to be out of there before summer, and I never got a bill for the fucking hazmat team to go in there lol. Not my shit not my problem. Like I said I don't even get periods, I skip them with the pill. Shit was disgusting and I wasn't even contributing to the trash lol. No reason I had to be the one to take it out every time if even at all. Even worse, it wasn't like they even had to like go all the way out to the dumpster outside or anything. There was a trash room literally 10 doors down the hall that we could dump our trash in and the university workers would take it from there. They were too lazy to walk down the damn hall way.
Moral of the story is, don't ever put 4 girls to one bathroom. Worst experience of my life. The shower was a nightmare too because they all each had at least 8-10 bottles of shit in there on the floor at any given point in time. Most of them empties too. I'm livin the life with my own (mostly) private bath. Its the only bathroom on the main floor though, so guests use it too. But the showers basically mine at least lol. We hardly have anyone over anyways. Current housemates are pretty chill. Some minor annoyances but for the most part we all keep to our own rooms.
>>
Hey guys, thanks for the replies. I'm at work right now so I'll sort through/reply when I'm off later tonight
>>
>>17719708
It's not like I hate weed, I smoke myself from time to time (haven't in awhile though, mainly because I want to be clean in case these dumb shits get caught)

What I do hate are the stoners that are lazy and not worth shit, when we lived in the dorms we smoked weed every now and then, but the day we moved into the off campus apartment these faggots became complete degenerates.

If they smoked weed once and awhile like I used to, maybe on our patio or something, that'd be chill

But using our garage and literally smoking 8-9+ bowls a day after they dropped out of college AFTER signing the lease?

That shit I can't fucking stand
>>
>>17719874
Well your first problem was being a degenerate
>>
>>17719708
You don't really know someone until you've actually lived with them. That said, OP probably had seen a lot of red flags but wasn't aware of their significance prior to moving in with his roommates. These could be: frequently asking for answers for homework/tests, always asking for help but unwilling to help in return, constantly blaming other people for their problems, talking shit about other people frequently, becoming violent or extremely agitated easily during conversation, taking no responsibility for anything, extremely sensitive to criticism, etc. At least, out from this experience, OP would learn not to associate with these kinds of people. Better know this sooner rather than later.
>>
>>17719985

OP here, hit the nail right on the head
>>
>>17720281
OP, my dude, what will you do? Have you decided?
>>
>>17719281
In my opinion your biggest mistake was moving in with people in general

I moved in with my three best friends and now we cant stand each other.

You got really unlucky by moving in with scumbags. My condolences, op.
>>
>>17719647
I fuck on my balcony all the time. If they asked I'd just let them. Its hot to do it outside

They coulda' at least asked
>>
>>17720296
Moving in with friends ruins a lot of those friendships. I even had a talk with my best friend about this and agreed that we'd be extremely careful if we'd need to move in together or something.
>>
Record them smoking, back it up on a few devices and threaten to send out the video to their parents if they don't knock that shit off.
>>
File: IMG_2507.jpg (157KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2507.jpg
157KB, 720x960px
So, compiling what all of you said there are only a couple of options -
>1
Wait it out, I fucked up by not realizing this would happen

Personal opinion - Wouldn't have made the thread if that was an option, I am actually fearful for my safety as these fucks get more and more unstable and their drug use grows worse. I have no doubt that they'll graduate to harder deugs at somepoint, but thank you for your advice.

>2
Collect evidence that they are the drug users/trying to steal shit

Personal Opinion - Not sure how this will work short of getting a security camera in my room,

----- and I really have no idea how to collect evidence of them being the ones using drugs, it isn't like I can set up a security camera where they smoke all the time, obviously they'd see it.

Not afraid of them framing me, I'm completely clean, and avoid their second hand smoke like the plague - if I call the cops or alert the landlord I'll be sure to absolutely tear apart my room from the floor up. Thankfully it's a pretty small room so there's scarce few places to tuck things away.

> 3
Anonymously contact landlord and ask for help

Personal Opinion - I'll probably do this first, but I doubt they'll give a shit that I'm innocent, and will probably lie to say I'm safe and then evict all of us when/if I reveal identity.

Thoughts?

P.s - Yes I should have realized this would happen, I'm an idiot and I'm begging you to help.
>>
>>17720311
Fuck that, I can see no faster way to them fucking with me to the extreme than calling their fucking parents.

Imagine that, "Anon your faggoty roommate called me and snitched" - t. probable alcoholic single mother
>>
>>17720287
See
>>17720313
>>17720317
>>
>>17720296
Lol well, people vary. Some people need a whole place to themselves, like you I take it. Others are chill as long as they have a room to themselves. Thats where I lie personally, I fucking hated living in the dorms because I didn't have a single place I could escape to and just be alone for a while. Moved into a house with a friend I've had since preschool (but am not terribly close to) and one of her friends. No major issues in the past 2 years. We all have our own rooms and basically just share the kitchen, since nobody actually uses the living room. Kitchen can have some conflicts, but nothing that any of us consider that big a deal. Like I'm kind of annoyed that they let the dishes pile up, because we have a fucking bug problem from hell living in a river town, and I eat microwave meals with plastic forks so I produce zero dishes. But it all it takes is one note by the sink saying "dude, please get the dishes done in a timely manner" for it to be done. I know people often think that just because they're friends means they all think alike but that's not always the case. The trick to successful roommates is finding people who actually do think similarly to you. Easier said than done, but living alone is not always an option, especially as a young adult
>>
>>17720317
Okay well then call the cops. Or do nothing. You've been given all the solutions possible but don't want to take any of them. Telling the parents who are the guarenteers and probably footing some or all of the rent would at least keep your name out of the mud as far as cops/your record of renting apartments is concerned though(if you get evicted it will show up when landlords from future apartments you are applying to call your current place). But if you get the feeling they won't do shit about it then just do nothing and suck it up. Or try to sublet.
>>
>>17720334
Woah, I never said I wasn't taking any, I'm trying to think this through via

>>17720313

I haven't committed to or rejected anything besides the parent thing yet. I apologize for sounding like a dick in that post, but I'm honestly scared of anything that leads to retaliation.

In all honesty, you're right saying that the parent angle might work best, but I see that as a pretty big gamble, what are your thoughts?
>>
>>17720346
Honestly I'm not sure. I figured you knew the parents a little bit having moved in with them. If you don't know though it could make things worse. Honestly though, you could try subletting. Just go through your apartment, most are fine with it. You'd have to find a new place and someone to take yours but you'd be able to get out without causing a huge fuss and possibly getting some sort of vendetta against you.
>>
Well, I guess I've decided I'm just going to stick it out and hope I don't get evicted.

Knock on wood
>>
>>17720915
Dumbass
>>
>>17720915
You shouldn't make decisions out of fear. In the long run, your situation will only become worse. Kill the cancer cell before it becomes a tumor.
>>
>>17719307
>So can you try helping me find a course of action that doesn't completely fuck me but gets them the fuck out?
isnt there a law allowing you to cancel your lease if the living situation had worsened due to your flat mates actions? take pictures of their weed and bongs + state you caught one trying to steal stuff from you and use it to get out of the contract ASAP.
>>
>>17721279
I've researched and pretty much everything I find results in "You signed the lease cooperatively so their actions reflect on you as far as the contract is concerned" or some variant of that
Thread posts: 50
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.