[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Your inevitable demise

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 10

File: 1439527233175.jpg (108KB, 742x667px) Image search: [Google]
1439527233175.jpg
108KB, 742x667px
How do you guys cope with death? Or the thought of it? We're all doomed, everyone of us- it's inescapable- you will die

I'm scared guys
>>
>>17717813
I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

Save tomorrow's problems for tomorrow.
>>
>>17717813
Cause eventually you realise youre still alive. Then you kinda get used to that after it happens day in and day out. Its pretty effortless if youre not a lemming. You kinda get the hang of not dieing and its just a part of you now.
>>
>>17717813
im scared of dying too op. Im scared of pain when I die mostly. I don't want to be in pain.
>>
>>17717813
Be a phoenix not a pussy.
>>
File: 1446924816946.gif (2MB, 540x304px) Image search: [Google]
1446924816946.gif
2MB, 540x304px
Curious but not curious enough to be a daredevil/suicidal fuck.

May the future surprise me once I become stardust once again.
>>
Death is like finally going to sleep after a looong tiresome day.
Although that doesnt stop some people from having narcolepsy, or administering sleeping pills.
>>
File: 400px-Courageous.png (222KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
400px-Courageous.png
222KB, 400x400px
Know that it isnt about death but what you do during your life that matters. We all die but live and go out with a bang.
>>
read albert camus writings or other philosophers stuff
>>
>>17717813
I don't understand why it needs to be coped with. I feel no unease due to my mortality, though I frequently fantasize about living forever, like a vampire.
>>
>>17717813
Mortality is an ultimate gift. In Tolkien lore men were viewed as being graced by the Gods through their mortality, as opposed to other species who were spiritually immortal

Immortality in any sense is far more horrifying than mortality, to me. It means what happens now, the bad things, are as bad as it gets. And when I die I can rest.

Do you want eternal life? What will you do when the heat death of the universe comes? How will your spirit's desires be quelled?

Mortality is a gift, cherish it but simultaneously avoid its conclusion as long as possible, within reason.
>>
>>17718057
>Do you want eternal life? What will you do when the heat death of the universe comes? How will your spirit's desires be quelled?

that's dumb. no one means it literally, they mean, like, they can still kill themselves and they'd die if they were in a vacuum or the world exploded or something.
>>
>>17718063
Who wants to be in a situation where they can't die unless they kill themselves?

Who wants to make that decision themselves. To be FORCED to make that decision themselves? Imagine it, no actual good reason to die

I'd sit around a few thousand years thinking about it, then pull the trigger and probably still regret it the moment I pulled it, even though I was miserable the entire time. It's a bad situation.
>>
>>17718066
>Who wants to be in a situation where they can't die unless they kill themselves?
Me.
>Who wants to make that decision themselves. To be FORCED to make that decision themselves? Imagine it, no actual good reason to die
You'd be a bit wiser in a few thousand years. It wouldn't bother you too much, you'd just feel weary and bored. I suspect I would go out with a smile, happy at all the good I'd done on the earth with my vast accumulated wealth and power.
>I'd sit around a few thousand years thinking about it, then pull the trigger and probably still regret it the moment I pulled it, even though I was miserable the entire time. It's a bad situation.
Well, when you find a magic genie that makes you live as long as you want, send him my way.
>>
>>17718017
Not OP, but it's not like going to sleep, because sleeping implies downtime and waking up. Never waking again is a bit different.

>>17718057
If you mean Tolkien as in LOTR, he's a fictional author who's mortal. If we truly had immortal beings in real life, I'm sure they would have a different point of view.

Additionally, yes. I would like eternal life until I decide to end it. The thought of never having a concious thought again, of not being me is beyond terrifying. If it was a slumber or sleep you could awaken from, or even choose never to awaken, that's one thing. But not given the choice feels misplacedl.

Honestly though, the chances of there being zero life after death is quite small I'd wager. I'm not talking about religion here, There is just so much about the universe and beyond that we do not understand. The idea of life just perishing and not surviving doesn't seem to make any sense for me.

To OP, that's how I deal with it. I've chosen to believe that there will be some form of life after death, some form of conscious me. No one truly knows these things, but given our lack of understanding about a lot of things, existence after death could be a possibility. If our consciousness is a form of energy, it cannot be destroyed. Only transformed.
>>
>>17718094
It is similar to sleep in that no one wants to be awake (alive) after a 20 hour day (88 year life)
>>
>>17717813
Do DMT.
>>
>>17718130
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biABTTz13hI
>>
>>17718137
Great lyrics. Captures the experience nicely (although not completely)
>>
>>17717813
>How do you guys cope with death? Or the thought of it?
By delaying it as long as possible and ensuring that when it comes I have lived the days that I have had as full as possible.

that said, its high time I got off this board today.
>>
File: 1461976624799.jpg (3KB, 100x100px) Image search: [Google]
1461976624799.jpg
3KB, 100x100px
>>17717813
>How do you guys cope with death?

Seek glory in it, die knowing you did something worth while.Paint a picture, fight for a cause, be a good freind to someone who needed one, stand for your principals.

"Great deed's are few, great people are fewer"
>>
>>17718129
You don't speak for everyone. I bet there's plenty of 80+ year olds still enjoying life. The way you paint it, everyone is waiting to die. It's not like sleep at all man. Death is final, sleep is temporary, assuming that we do actually lose consciousness on death.
>>
File: 6416313.jpg (557KB, 890x1231px) Image search: [Google]
6416313.jpg
557KB, 890x1231px
>>17718174
Some believe in an afterlife anon.
>>
I have those thoughts too sometimes, I try to avoid thinking about it and focus on the beauties of life instead
>>
>>17718176
Is this an attempt at mocking?
>>
>>17718178
What gave it away?
>>
>>17718176
that's not richard stallman. you're dumb, if there's a heaven it's nothing like that.
>>
>>17718174
Ugh! That's why I said "like" not "is largely identical to"
fuck
>>
>>17718182
No, I just wanted to clarify how much of an idiot you are. You're in the dark about the existence of an afterlife and what happens after death than I am. Trying to mock someone for a subject you have no answer to just as much as the person you're trying to mock makes you a complete moron.
>>
>>17718194
>You're in the dark about the existence of an afterlife and what happens after death than I am
>calling others idiots
>cant form a cohesive sentence
>>
>>17718200
>Can't stick on topic to the original dispute.
>Resorts to attacking grammar and sentence structure.
>Has no answer to what was actually said.

So what you're implying is that I'm correct and you have no actual worthwhile reply. Cheers. Very decent of you.
>>
>>17718194
you're getting riled up over a religious comment on the internet.

bad comment? no, bad you.

(also the afterlife is clearly made up)
>>
>>17718186
At least this guy gets it!
>>
>>17718207
That's 'cause Im not that anon. I believe he said "I choose to believe" so let him.
You dont have to be a condescending idiot
>>
I find it funny that there's probably only about ten people in this board, and we are probably being complete dicks to each other in one thread while giving each other sentimental pep talks in other threads.
>>
>>17718239
Hammer to the nail on that one anon!
>>
File: image.jpg (79KB, 1200x600px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
79KB, 1200x600px
I will ride eternal in Valhalla, shiny and chrome.
>>
>>17718208
I'm not getting riled up. I'm not religious either. I was just pointing out that it's idiotic to try and mock someone based on what they may believe when they have no actual knowledge of what may happen either. As for the existence of life after death, there may very well be. Is it really so hard to consider plausible? We don't understand how conciousness works, only theories. Strong theories, but theories all the same. Both are strong acutally. We've barely begun scratching the surface of exploring outside our planet. Nevermind the Universe. Nevermind how many many many universes there probably are. When you take all of the above into consideration. When you realize how little we actually understand, is it really that foolish to say that there may be some shape of form of existence after death, given how little we know of everything in life? I'm not saying there is. I just think it's incredibly foolish to rule it out completely, and beyond idiotic to try and mock someone for it when they are just as clueless
>>
File: day-of-dead-2[1].jpg (278KB, 900x667px) Image search: [Google]
day-of-dead-2[1].jpg
278KB, 900x667px
>tfw you've been raised to know you and everyone else will die eventually so you better enjoy everything as much as you can

If we all meet somewhere it will be fucking fun
If there's nothing else after death, then why worry about it? it's not like you'll have something to do after all
>>
>>17718270
>I'm not getting riled up. I'm not religious either. I was just pointing out that it's idiotic to try and mock someone based on what they may believe when they have no actual knowledge of what may happen either.

I have knowledge of statistics, human behavior, and history.

>As for the existence of life after death, there may very well be. Is it really so hard to consider plausible?
Yes.
>We don't understand how conciousness works, only theories. Strong theories, but theories all the same.
Consciousness is an illusion. But I'll grant you a 1% chance that something bizarre is going on we don't know about.
>Both are strong acutally. We've barely begun scratching the surface of exploring outside our planet. Nevermind the Universe. Nevermind how many many many universes there probably are. When you take all of the above into consideration. When you realize how little we actually understand, is it really that foolish to say that there may be some shape of form of existence after death, given how little we know of everything in life?
Flying spaghetti monster. I'm not saying that the nature of the universe isn't totally, insanely, different than we know. But humans have an extremely strong tendency to make everything about themselves even when there is no evidence. That our consciousness is somehow special and lives on in some metaplane is a perfect example of this.
>I'm not saying there is. I just think it's incredibly foolish to rule it out completely, and beyond idiotic to try and mock someone for it when they are just as clueless
I granted you a 1% chance. That's not big enough to make life decisions or hold back on mocking people.
>>
File: 1457581523654.jpg (141KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
1457581523654.jpg
141KB, 600x450px
>>17718270
Calm the fuck down man, its a joke!
>>
>>17718017
>Death is like finally going to sleep
probably to recognize a familiar 'dream', then waking to a different* 'reality' ?

*are dreams and realities all the same, the perspective (or lack thereof) making the difference?
>>
>>17718287
How many LSD's are you on?
>>
>>17718290
Two. BPD and assburgers.
>>
>>17718287
There are two realities. Internal and external. Dream state and awake state.
>>
>>17718304
oh snap, if you're the guy from the LSD thread earlier, you should watch waking life, too. or through a scanner darkly. I was too drunk to remember either of them, but they seemed trippy
>>
>>17718282
>Consciousness is an illusion
Citation needed. Infact scratch that. You will win the nobel prize if you can absolutely prove that conciousness is an illusion, because scientists have been debating this for decades.
>Flying spaghetti monster
Doesn't apply here, I didn't ask for any proof that they can't exist. I simply stated you cannot rule out the possibility of existence into matters we have no knowledge on. Otherwise, before gravity was explained, you could have well as said this to Newton. People like you aren't innovators in science, don't leech off other great people and act like it's your own knowledge. We don't even know everything about what there is in life. To try and act like you know about death given the above is just plain arrogance. It doesn't make you correct.
>>
>>17718309
>Citation needed. Infact scratch that. You will win the nobel prize if you can absolutely prove that conciousness is an illusion, because scientists have been debating this for decades.
you're appealing to mysticism, and you want a citation from me? a big mash of proteins and chemicals and crap create the the experience you're currently having. just because it's hard to understand doesn't mean it's not true, it just means you're too dumb to understand it.
>Doesn't apply here, I didn't ask for any proof that they can't exist. I simply stated you cannot rule out the possibility of existence into matters we have no knowledge on. Otherwise, before gravity was explained, you could have well as said this to Newton. People like you aren't innovators in science, don't leech off other great people and act like it's your own knowledge. We don't even know everything about what there is in life. To try and act like you know about death given the above is just plain arrogance. It doesn't make you correct.

Well, we'll just have to disagree and think the other is very stupid. And I do indeed think that you are very, very stupid, and incapable of even rudimentary logic.

Anywho, it's my bed time, someone else should take the time to explain the argument I was making to this smarmy dumbass.
>>
>>17718298
Jesus Christ, I feel bad for anyone who comes into contact with you.
>>
File: stoicism.jpg (128KB, 870x575px) Image search: [Google]
stoicism.jpg
128KB, 870x575px
by trying to make the world slightly better than I found it for the other poor souls who were forced here
>>
>>17718318
>you're appealing to mysticism, and you want a citation from me?
I debate with logic. I'm not appealing to mysticism. I'm saying we don't fucking know because we do not have the knowledge at hand. You're the one pretending you do know. That's why I'm calling you an idiot. Because you're talking out your ass. You are just as ignorant as I am on this matter, as well as everyone else. If you don't know something, admit you don't know. Don't press on with arrogance, it doesn't work. Shit this is why I can't stand arguing with Athiests. You're just as preachy and dogmatic and zealot as the religious nuts you debate with. The truth is, neither you fucking know, so shut the fuck up and stop preaching on about shit you don't have any knowledge on, because you're talking out your ass. You don't know any more than I do about the existence of life after death than I do, because we don't have any knowledge at hand to either debate for or against it. We're totally in the dark, and to pretend you do know just makes you look like a complete fucking retard.
>>
>>17718337
Thanks for this quote anon. I've been struggling in my life and this helps.

Sounds gay but yeah
>>
File: change.jpg (127KB, 960x709px) Image search: [Google]
change.jpg
127KB, 960x709px
>>17718352
You should read Meditations, the book its from. http://classics.mit.edu/Antoninus/meditations.html Kind of bizarre to read such an ascetic work with so many passages about the importance of being a good person, accepting death, and the limitations of yourself, yet it was written by at the time the most powerful man in the world.

Here's another favorite passage of mine.
>>
>>17718337
wtf. I ain't even read this dead boi's book and that's my philosophy. Dang.
>>
>>17718318
Oh wow.
>>
>>17718282
Yikes
>>
>>17717813
I will rest 500 bilion years looking at the world as it burns and trashes while I will be affected by nothing. That time will feel like 5 seconds.
I will wait for the ressurection of the universe, but this time I will experience a slightly new world, where my genes combined differently, where i revived as a new person of my choice - powerful, courageous, unapologetic. All shall tremble before my might!!
But this time I will know my limits. I will not pick on the cool kids to prove my superiority. I will murder all the degenerates so they may stop feeling sorry for themselves. They will revive as glorious aryan babies, of an extroverted personality, standard and intelligence.
~~Adolf Hitler. Islam shall fall under my boot.

I was and still am a scrawny little angry nerd. But no longer, for I shall revive as a different being. Not a pig or a rat in suit, but a glorious falcon eagle. America will no longer be ashamed out of conquering the world.
>>
The only thing that bothers me is that I do have people who give a shit about me. More than I would have wanted. I don't want to be a bother by being dead.
>>
>>17718384
hitler actually loved Islam
Thread posts: 59
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.