[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Allegedly Arrogant

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: image.jpg (17KB, 285x200px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
17KB, 285x200px
I'm the type of guy who values logic. I like people who understand the merits of an argument.

ITT arguments can be incredibly productive so let's just be adults and figure out where we're both coming from contextually, so we can better understand each other's perspectives and take it on from there.

What I don't like is when people shut down, aren't listening, get overwhelmed by emotions and use the argument as a vehicle for emotional discharges. This is when I fall into the rabbit hole, get aggressively sarcastic and deliberately hurt people which has brought on some accusations of arrogance.

I don't like living in a social echo-chamber and I value being exposed to people that have other views, even though I'm sometimes flat out opposed to them and I think they're harmful. So tell me, how do I avoid spazzing out when I find people to be unreasonable? I need tools.
>>
bamp
>>
>>17715898
>how do I avoid spazzing out when I find people to be unreasonable

Frankly, it sound like you're quite unreasonable yourself. Maybe stop for a while, take a few calm breaths and realise that you're losing your shit over something that doesn't matter all that much really.
>>
>>17715898
Emotions are much more relevant for humans than logic ... which is fucking logical, given how we're semi rational beings at best. So for one, just because your arguments are more logical, doesn't mean that they are 'right".

Once you understood it, it should be logical that you can't change their opinions with logic, so don't even bother. Oh and many people who argue don't really care about understanding shit, so again, knowing that, you should be prepared that you won't get anywhere with some people and just ... let it go.

If somebody is being annoyingly unreasonable just switch the topic and deescalate with some joke.
>>
>>17716198
Basically this. Emotions are stupid because they don't have to make a lick of sense for us to feel them intensely. But, we feel them intensely, so we value them. Emotions have nothing to do with reasoning or logic, but are powerful in terms of what we believe. Beliefs can be based of faith, which again, requires no logic. If you're trying to argue against something based on belief, with logic, you're fighting a losing battle.

Look, not everyone is on a quest for the ultimate truth. And like this guy above said, just because something seems reasonable to you, it does NOT necessarily mean you're right. Be open to other people's points of view. If you wish to learn, seek to understand why they believe what they do, but before you start arguing with logic, ascertain whether their belief is rooted in logic or faith. You'll save yourself a lot wasted time this way.

Also, if someone doesn't seem open to want to change their opinion on something, don't think that just because you're being "reasonable" it means they should listen to you. Who are you?

Let go of trying to be right all the time. Most of the time it doesn't even fucking matter. People think you're arrogant because you can't leave well enough alone.
>>
>>17715898
I've come to the realization that most people are children, and I gift them my patience by not falling to the neediness of being understood or heard. Let people think what ever they want, and make conversation a platform for occult practice rather than intellectual fencing.
>>
>>17716198
>>17716233
thanks guys. this is helpful.

Whenever I get into an argument I'd like to think I'm doing it on good faith. I know there must be some common ground so let's work to find it and reveal whatever it is that caused the disagreement. I'm not looking to agree, or convince, I'm looking to understand. But if there's no good will on both parts, it turn into intellectual oneupmanship and sophistry. And that's when I turn arrogant.

I just need to calm the fuck down
>>
>>17715898
Just don't hang out with people who are like that. Those people are what they are. Logical people are naturally logical or can pick up on logic pretty fast.
>>
Look OP, most people are looking more for harmony than for stimulating intense discussions, especially when they're still young and haven't really figured their own views of the world out enough to be confident about them being questioned.

Nothing wrong with that. Nothing wrong with you being further in terms of where you stand and wanting to debate that.

But I feel that you still have too much understanding for yourself. Realize that you are not only displaying a cruel streak (I would call it that, sooner than arrogant - it's just cold hearted and mean spirited) by going out of your way to make someone pay for irritating you, and that whereas you might have logically sound and interesting opinions, you are displaying a lack of empathy and emotional intelligence for being baffled that young people unused to having to defend personal viewpoints struggle with their emotions when suddenly asked to do so.
Basically, try to invest more in developing different sides of you and being able to respect someone else developing in their own time.
>>
>>17715898
>when my arguments are poorly reasoned and full of holes, and it makes me have to really stretch and use a whole bunch of logic and rhetoric in a situation that is not fucking debate class and people become disinterested in what I have to say, I sperg the fuck out and that really turns people off.
So stop. If you feel like you have to explain something to someone, odds are you pry don't understand it well yourself.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.