[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Minoring in music?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: worry.jpg (45KB, 389x581px) Image search: [Google]
worry.jpg
45KB, 389x581px
I'm going to college next year for computer science, and I'm wondering what yall think about doing a minor in music. I'm interested in learning music, but I don't know if it would look ridiculous to have a major in CS and a minor in something completely unrelated like music. What do you guys think?
>>
If you want to be marketable when you graduate into the real world, no.

You should minor in business.
>>
>>17714680
Fuck it dude, you'll go a lot further learning something you enjoy then something you think will make you more successful, ironically
>>
>>17714715

> Implying he won't enjoy business as his minor
>>
>>17714728
>Implying I was responding to that post or talking about business for any reason
>>
Fun as a hobby? Yes
It's complicated and non-marketable.
Don't do it unless you're autistically passionate about it and talented. Otherwise, you're just doing it as a hobby. It's a waste of money to study unless you're autistically talented and going to a renowned conservatorium.
>>
>>17714680

Do what you love to do. Don't get into a career you hate just because you think you won't be successful otherwise.

But you can observe other countries in this regard. They mostly look at music as a classical art form that isn't marketable in a business perspective unless you want to sell musical instruments, the music itself, the music business or teach music.

Music these days is about business as well as marketing and advertising. Perhaps that would be a good compromise.
>>
>>17714715
>Reply

You'll get a lot further doing something you enjoy than doing something you think you might enjoy.

If you haven't already been developing the callasts on your fingers since your early teens . What makes you think you're going to be any good at anything now.

I could understand if you were choosing business school over a music college and still wish to minor in music because you don't want to give up your instrument. This might be taken seriously in an application if you have years of classical concerts/orchestral experience. And you can make a lot playing in a quartet part time if you market it right.

But if you're thinking what I think you're thinking (guitar/bass/drums/keyboard/producer/beats) Please just don't bother.

I know talented musicians who have been playing since they could speak who graduated great music colleges and it never worked out. The best they could hope for is the back chair in an orchestra and teaching. It's a real shame, but what do you expect.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.