/script>
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is joining the army a good life decision?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3

File: 1476244265849.png (132KB, 396x385px) Image search: [Google]
1476244265849.png
132KB, 396x385px
I am pretty smart. I am just bringing it up because I took a fake asvab and got a good score. The recruiter told me he can get me a good job if I joined. I was just wondering if it is worth it. I am giving away the best years of my life so I want it to be worth my time. Anybody have any stories or advice about joining the army
>>
Get a degree then join as an officer.

If you can't manage that, join AF or Navy before Army
>>
>>17701962
Why Navy+Air force> army
>>
>>17701973
Because Army is the most expendable branch.

Army is literally the pawns of the Forces
Army is there to hold the territory and die for it.
AF and Navy makes sure they can.

It's like the guy who shovels shit vs the guy who keeps the machine he shovels shit into working
>>
If you're going to join the army, you should do WOFT and fly helicopters
>>
Which one branch has the best benefits?
>>
>>17702039
Ask your recruiter.

If they say "Army" laugh at them and ask for the truth.

They always say Army first, no matter the question
>>
>>17701943

No.
>>
>>17701943
What score did you get?

I was promised a medical job but when i went into to chose my MOS they offered me none. I had to insist the recruiter call and reset the site just to offer me one medical job. Dont trust them.
>>
>>17702039
They all have the same pay and benefits, it all depends on what you want to get out of it. Army just has a lower standard of living and more assholes. Marines have less jobs. Navy and you Gould get stuck on a shitty ass boat sleeping in the bed the size of a coffin. Air Fors is the plush life, but it's hard to get in.
>>
>>17701943
Was never in the military so I can't speak from that side, I will say if you do it the smart way, you could benefit from it more than if you just went to school or something else. You get paid, you get benefits, you get fed, and you get housing. If you just put up with your basic enrollment, and don't spend your money on a bunch of dumb shit like sports cars and beer, you could leave with a decent savings. You could always gain some mechanical skills or schooling through the service and you could make some extra dough in the national guard once you get out. So from a financial perspective, you could do worse if you do it right. Better than graduating school 50k in the hole.
>>
File: Snapchat-257394679645066860-1.jpg (353KB, 954x1164px) Image search: [Google]
Snapchat-257394679645066860-1.jpg
353KB, 954x1164px
Ask a ROTC army cadet and current D.E.P. soldier anything
>>
Navy guy here.

>>17701962
^This

Officer life is great. The pay is awesome, your job is awesome, and you can go home at the end of the day.

However, you only have to enlist for 4 years. So if you take the enlisted route 4 years isn't that long if you thought it was a mistake. As for what branch, as long as it's not the Marines you can't go wrong.
>>
>>17702149
Thank god for people like you

The rest of us will survive as you take bullets for us
>>
>>17702149
Basically the way the recruiter told me the pay is 15-20k a month. Since i have rent and food taken care of does that mean that I will leave with 80k after a 4 year contract?
>>
>>17701962
I want to go this route but god damn I hate my family. I am 40 credits into communit college and I cant do the rest.
>>
>>17701943
Recruiters lie for a living.

Whatever they promise you, whatever contracts they give you, once you sign your ass is theirs and they can do what they want with you - ranging from spending your entire tour in a kitchen learning and doing nothing, to front line combat.
>>
I'm floating around the same decision. I'll be 22 next year and have decided on wanting to do paramedical after getting fucked out of RPL with my accounting degree. Have done volunteer ambulance officer work so I know what it entails and like it, but the job prospects require I go to another state for 3 years before I'm eligable to join our state ambulance service. 3 year degree, 3 years experience. I'm thinking signing up to the army next year as a medical technician. 6 years minimum service, come out with a nursing and paramedical degree and great job prospects for my home state.

It's a daunting choice though.
>>
Also Navy.

Here's what I've experienced; recruiters either lie or don't tell you the fact that you're joining a huge entity that can go hundreds of different ways for you.

I went for ships to make port calls and hate my life for months at a time. Instead I'll probably never see the inside of a ship. Depending on the job you choose, you'll get one type of experience. And also depending on the individual place you go after training, you'll get an even more different experience than other people who got your same job.

Anyone who says "fuck the (insert various branch here)" got a crappy job and/or had a bad attitude about it.

You will have time to train. Passing fitness tests is easy if you don't dick around. All the things you need to do to not get kicked out are easy but random little things happen to people here and there to get them kicked out. It's not often but with an organization this large you'll see a few regrettable cases of people who were great at their job who were forced out for various shitty reasons.

So yeah. There's a lot of cons but the pro's outweigh it IF you can accept the lifestyle you'll be going into as well as the possibility that bureaucracy always has a tiny chance of fucking you.
>>
>>17702375

Anyone I've known who did medical before joining seemed to do way better than most with following orders and getting ahead. I'd say go Navy, but that's bias lol consider your options is all.
>>
>>17702398
I am mostly doing this for my higher education. Do you think that it is worth it for someone who sees themselves as student first and foremost?
>>
File: 1471645539838.jpg (31KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
1471645539838.jpg
31KB, 512x512px
>tfw get paid to blow shit up, shoot machineguns and assault beaches
>average 20 weeks paid leave/year
>can quit whenever I get tired of the shit beacause I dont have to sign no stupid contact

God I love being european
>>
Mh I served in the German Air Forces for a good chunk of my life.

So no idea of how much assistance I can be in regards to infos on the US military.

Usually what I tell people is that everything below joining as an Officer is a bad idea.
>>
>>17701943
disregard everything the recruiter tells you, they are paid to lie

there are a lot of parts to your question
what country are you in?
what branch of the army?

a lot of people feel neutral about the army, they enjoy it, but it was time they could have been doing other things with

as for a job after the army, outcomes on the whole seem largely negative; far worse than people who just worked a normal job for four years

if you are american the 4 year contract is a huge deal
it means they can treat you however they want because they know you can't leave
abuse is common but nobody will talk about it
>>
Would joining the Army as a soldier, then get my degree with them to ascend to officer be a good idea? Or should I wait and get the degree by myself first, then join as an officer? I want to fly helos (I am in Europe, Spain)
>>
>>17702149
Can I join the army if I have had plastic surgery?
>>
>>17702196
That seems extraordinarily high.
>>
>>17703077
YES!!
If your ROTC program works anything like in the U.S. then that is the best possible course. Basic training will give you a good foundation for how to be a soldier, then going to school you can have the Army essentially pay for it and being an officer gets you significantly more money and looks better on resumes after you get out.
>>
>>17703087

I think I'll do that. I really need some discipline in my life and I ain't got anything better to do!. Hope I can pass the medical without issues, currently experiencing some rhinitis, but it can be easily treated with a spray..
>>
>>17701943
Depends, do you lack self-control and have no friends? If yes, then yes it's a good life decision
>>
>>17701981
Both sound like horrible jobs, especially if you have to clean the shit out of the machine routinely that he shovels shit into.

Makes me think of the guys who have to clean the bottle/ can recycling machines. Is the guy who has to clean up trash bums are making money off of the Navy or the army? Is the Navy the stinking bums that won't get a job and just collect junk for money?
>>
>>17702645

What was your role?
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.