[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do I act like I know about everything? How do I fix myself?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: enhanced-23726-1421951679-16.jpg (23KB, 400x280px) Image search: [Google]
enhanced-23726-1421951679-16.jpg
23KB, 400x280px
I have a problem that started affecting my relationship with friends and with my girlfriend.

People often say I'm annoying because I know everything or say that I think I know everything. I had a group of friends in the past and they used to say that to me a lot in the period close to the end of our friendship. Now I have a new group of friends and they also say that. The thing is, I don't really think I do that but since so many people tell me this I know there's something wrong with me and I want to fix it.

There are some things that I think might affect/cause this:

1- I like to search on Google and Youtube about trivia, science (mainly Biology), and curious things in general. Also about simple things like "why do we sneeze" or "why do we laugh" and stuff like this. So, when someone end up talking about something simple like that that I know, I say it for everyone (that's what er are talking about, I know the answer so why not?). Sometimes people act like I'm a genius and I'm NOT AT ALL. I just know trivia, that's nothing impressive. It's a hobbie of mine or something. I just like reading about random stuff.

2- I VERY OFTEN disagree with people. I think this is what could contribute the most. I just don't agree with them and I'm very confident about my arguments. When I say something is because I'm certain of it. And most of the time (about 70-80% of time or idk) I'm right, sometimes I'm not. I can't see why I should just agree to someone when I know they're wrong. Sometimes it's a matter of opinion so there's no such thing as an actual "right" answer to the matter, but people still say I think I know everything when it's something like that too.

It should be clear that I'm not sure if this two things are the actual cause to it, I just have a feeling that's it.
>>
>>17701545
>certain of it.
>about 70-80% of time

Um. What the fuck. Do you know what being "certain" of something means? There's your issue right there. That's infuriating to be corrected by someone that's so "certain" yet so wrong SO often. I worked with a guy like this once, and he never took ANYONE'S word for anything, and it'd have to be proven to him. Yet he'd spout off all the time as if he was an expert, and was wrong half the time.

There's tons of shit I don't know but I'm not wrong when I do pipe up with some information it's accurate.
>>
>>17701545
just try to listen more when people talk to you and try to hold back comments that make you sound like you're trying to correct them, feel me nigga?
>>
>>17701582
That's not the problem because I know I'm not right all the time. And I do agree with people a lot of times too, I just disagree more.

You see, everyone makes mistakes. Sometimes I'm just sure of something and I end up being wrong. That happens. Sometimes I just agree with people. The thing is I disagree more often and I'm right most of the time.

>>17701590
I understand but I don't think the problem is rom correcting people. It's more about disagreeing with them than anything.
>>
>>17701613
Give some examples. Try to remember a time you made someone uncomfortable/upset by disagreeing with them a little too hard
>>
>>17701613
we'll that's what you should hold back, the fact that you wanna disagree. just bite your tongue and tell yourself in your head "im right but they don't have to hear it for me to know it" and that's that. just have more self control and people won't constantly tell you that you act like you know everything
>>
>>17701545
There may not be anything factually wrong with what you are saying. I suspect you lack tact

Some people are able to call you a fucking idiot to your face and you end up thanking them. Some people ask you to pass the ketchup and you feel like you want to punch them in the face.

I am guilty of this very much in my professional life. I am a doctor and I will be very stern with people who I feel have made a mistake/misdiagnosis or whatever minor error/infraction. A lot of individuals think I am a prick. My only saving grace is my dedication to the job and support of colleagues in difficult/stressful situations. I am also very good in emergencies. On balance, people are prepared to take some abuse from me because when they really do have a sick patient, I will do whatever it takes to make that situation safe.

I feel very sad about this.
There is no reason why I need to carry the first half of that reputation. I can enjoy all the benefits of the second half.

You need to stop being so disapproving
>>
>>17701613
Maybe you and I have different definitions of what being 'sure' of something is. I'm never wrong- but I also rarely speak up. If I'm 'sure' of it, it's something I'd bet my savings on.

To me it's ignorant as fuck to pipe up about something and be so 'sure' and be wrong even 20% of the time.
>>
>>17701634
Alright, now we're getting somewhere.

This anon is describing a situation where the CORRECT information actually matters. If one of his colleagues makes the wrong diagnosis, or has the wrong idea about how to treat a patient, it could hurt the patient and make the whole hospital look bad. There are real, practical consequences to allowing incorrect information to go un-corrected.

If you're hanging out with your friends, and your friend is telling a story, and you cut off his story to "disagree" with a minor detail, you're just acting like a cunt. Because in this situation, the correct information doesn't actually help anyone. It's just a way for you to dominate any conversation that isn't all about you. You may or may not be right, and these qualities might serve you well in other areas of life, but your "quest for truth" will leave you friendless if you can't learn to just shut up and let it slide sometimes.
>>
>>17701648
>This anon is describing a situation where the CORRECT information actually matters. If one of his colleagues makes the wrong diagnosis, or has the wrong idea about how to treat a patient, it could hurt the patient and make the whole hospital look bad. There are real, practical consequences to allowing incorrect information to go un-corrected.
This is what I thought. What we forget is that people have pride and do not like being told that they're a fucking idiot, regardless of whether they are harming another person or not.

I have learned that regardless of the situation, you need to be modest, find a sensitive way of telling people that they are mistaken and then they can move on without thinking you're a cunt and blaming you/disliking you/turning colleagues against you. I was very surprised to learn this as I assumed that people would be principally concerned with their patient's welfare and would want to learn and improve. This is not the attitude of most healthcare professionals.

In many ways, a soft approach can be far more devastating than one involving lots of shouting. Of course, sometimes the soft approach is not enough and you have to go full dickhead but you mustn't launch nukes at the slightest provocation.

Just try to be a bit more gentle, OP.
>>
File: 1476003240439.jpg (80KB, 909x939px) Image search: [Google]
1476003240439.jpg
80KB, 909x939px
>>17701545

>I VERY OFTEN disagree with people.

Found your problem. Sometimes not being an asshole is more important than being right.

Nothing is more exhausting then hanging out with someone who insists on being right all the time.
>>
>>17701624
I am very bad at examples so...

I'll give two examples of different situations but that make people tell me this. They are very dumb and stupid so I warned.

1 - Here we fry our meat in an electrical fryer (I don't even know if that is how it is called). The fryer has an metal "grid" where you put the meat. All of that does not really matter, what matters is that things can get stuck in that and therefore getting stuck to the meat. My brother was cleaning that shit today and he was using that green part of the sponge. I told him not to do that because the sponge would unravel and tiny "hairs" would get in the meat. He told me it wouldn't and that he has done that many times and it never happened. I insisted but he did it anyway. Guess what happened? I was eating my meat and there was sponge hair in the fucking thing.

2 - My gf was talking about a teacher a lot of girls had a crush on. I told her that I find it very stupid because girls in that age get impressed so easily when there's nothing special in a teacher. She went savage telling me I'm always right and that I say stuff are wrong just because I don't do it. Does that even make sense? I was just telling her what I think and why in the fucking world would I do something I think is wrong? If I DON'T DO IT IT'S BECAUSE I DON'T THINK I SHOULD.

I'm starting to get angry about this and coming from me that's a lot because I'm very patient.
>>
>>17701721

Ok.

1. This is an appropriate situation to be right in. Being nit picky isn't a negative thing when it prevents people from eating sponges.

2. You should of just shut your mouth. People are allowed to be attracted to someone whether or not you agree with it and INSISTING that people are stupid for doing something you don't like is a massive cunt move.

You can't impose your idea of "stupidity" on everyone and tell people they're stupid for doing things you don't like or understand and then cower underneath the "IM JUST SAYING WHAT I THINK" excuse. Thats bullshit.

Pick your battles, dude. Right now you're picking all the wrong ones and you're being an asshole.
>>
>>17701634
So what you mean is that I should somehow mask what I do? That I should somehow do it in a way they won't get that impression of me?

>>17701648
I don't think you got it. It's not like that. As I said, I'm very bad with examples but you might get a better idea by reading them over here >>17701721

>>17701682
I thought about this too and the problem is not being rude. I guess this >>17701745
and this >>17701634 are more close to reality. I guess I should just shut the fuck up in the end. I'm not sure I can though because I am like that. I mean, I don;t believe people can't change and that bullshit, it's just that it's so into me that it makes me wonder if it'll even e worth it since it will be hard as fuck. But yeah, I guess that's what would solve the problem in the end.
>>
>>17701766
>I should somehow mask what I do
You need to mask your anger and disdain. You can disagree with someone without them thinking you're an asshole.

On some occasions, however, you will just need to shut the fuck up. You can't and shouldn't fight every battle/disagreement you encounter, it erodes people's opinion of you regardless as to whether you are right or not.
>>
>>17701815
I'm going with this. I guess I'll to try. Thanks everyone.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.