[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

College is difficult. Advice?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

File: t433e-94jh.jpg (35KB, 700x456px) Image search: [Google]
t433e-94jh.jpg
35KB, 700x456px
This is long. I apologize.

Alright, so I'm 21. I'm in the fall semester of my 4th year at uni but I'm technically still a junior because of credits. I'm majoring in biochemistry but I don't know what I want to do after I graduate. I was thinking about graduate school and now I'm thinking maybe pharmacy school to to a PharmD program. When I first got here I thought I wanted to do research but I'm shy and kinda aspie and I never speak to any professors so I've never really gotten any chances to do under graduate research.

My grades are also bad. I have a 2.4 gpa. I've made great grades in organic chemistry and calculuses. Good grades in biology classes. But I failed a few classes and had to retake them. I've spent every summer so far retaking classes. I've got a lot of issues. I'm seeing a therapist once a week and I have PTSD. I'm also epileptic and have seizures almost once or twice a week.

I don't know what to do. This is a really hard semester for me and I don't know why. my grandfather is dying right now. I can't seem to keep more than three classes down each semester. I'm only taking microbiology, genetics, and organic chemistry lab. I'm not making good grades in these classes. It's not really cause I'm stupid I don't think. It's cause all of my psychological and medical issues make me distracted from studying and homework.

I'm at my wits end. Almost thinking about dropping out. I don't know what I should do. So can anyone offer me any advice, wisdom, words of sympathy, anything? Here's an emoticon for you: :'(
>>
power through anon you can do it i know it might be hard right now but im cheering you on. if you don't know what to do after graduating take a break travel it seems to me you havens really found yourself just don't throw away all your hard work that you've put in. also try weed for the epilepsy its helped me :)
>>
>>17701366
That's what I keep telling myself :/ Thank you, really I mean it, encouragement is definitely something I need. I'll get through this week. Two tests. One tomorrow that I feel pretty prepared for (chilling out after studying)

Now I understand, you, anon, might not be able to weigh in much on this but the thing is, I have sort of found out what I like. Don't take this the wrong way, I'm not really a big druggie or anything, but what I like is pharmacology. When I was in high school I would spend so much time reading about pharmacology and even reading through papers for fun. But I'm just in a situation where I haven't had experience with research so pharmacy school sounds appealing because at least I'd get to read about pharmacology all day every day.
>>
File: 1413129501059.gif (395KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1413129501059.gif
395KB, 500x500px
"A" is for Arrogant
"B" is for Busta
"C" is for Charismatic!
"D" is for Delightful!
"E" is for Excellent!
>>
>>17701447
"F" is for
Fortunately I haven't killed myself yet!
>>
File: Passiflora_incarnata.jpg (293KB, 1600x1061px) Image search: [Google]
Passiflora_incarnata.jpg
293KB, 1600x1061px
>>17701354
Any other students or graduates online? I could really use some help tonight.
>>
>>17701354
Can't you just take a leave of absence until you feel confident you can continue your studies without major issues like this? Because I see that you are not currently fit to keep going with the pressure, and I wouldn't like to see you breaking down anytime soon.
>>
>>17701529
Just curious, what do you study or what did you study?

And isn't that bad though? When I'm applying to whatever afterward, won't that look bad. Also, won't that put me behind? Isn't it like, always a bad thing to be behind like that?
>>
>>17701354
Sucks to hear it framed like this but that's life man.

If you give up now, you fail hard.

Don't give up and keep giving yourself some time. It will pay off.
>>
>>17701547
>Just curious, what do you study or what did you study?
CompSci.

>And isn't that bad though?
No.

>When I'm applying to whatever afterward, won't that look bad.
No, employers only care about what you can give to the company. If you can prove you're a good prospect employee, they won't care if you had to take a leave. If asked, "I went through personal issues". Period. They don't have the right to press on that, and you don't owe them an explanation.

>Also, won't that put me behind?
Behind what? Your cohort? Yeah, it will.

>Isn't it like, always a bad thing to be behind like that?
No. You have a very good reason to be left behind: you are not currently fit to continue your studies. You're not doing it out of laziness, or because you're irresponsible. You cannot focus, and possibly need medical help.
>>
>>17701556
Really though? even with mediocre grades?

>>17701559
How about you? Is there any truth to this >>17701556

Look I'm not trying to make excuses for myself. Dropping out/taking a leave isn't something I want to do and it's definitely not something I'm looking for an excuse to do. It's obviously not something I want to do but then again maybe I need to do it. I don't know. I feel despondent.
>>
>>17701354
Universities do not want to see students struggle
They want to see people with high GPAs because it reflects well on them.

You should speak to your educational supervisor/tutor/someone with pastoral responsibility and explain that you mental health, epilepsy and grandfather's imminent death is making it nigh on impossible for you to progress with your studies. Is there anything that can be done to provide you with a bit of a reprieve.

>Remember, dropouts/failure to graduate is really a failure of the University.
It reflects badly on them. They either should never have admitted a student who drops out, or there is something wrong with their course to cause a substantial number to struggle.

They will help you. My university allowed so many people to defer their examinations. Also, speak to your therapist/psychologist/psychiatrist/neurologist. They can sometimes offer help/letters of support that you can show to the Dean
>>
>>17701580
>Is there any truth to this
Yes.

However, taking a leave doesn't mean that you will fail. It means that you are taking another strategy to tackle the same thing. You are just taking longer, not giving up on it altogether.

See it as a way to ensure your success.
>>
>>17701510
Well I'm a MBA student with a full time job so I kinda relate.

Because of my job I had to relocate to another place for a month. It sucked because I tend to feel lonely after a while.

I'm on the last semester of the master's program and I need to develop a real life project within my job. I don't really talk to that many people so deciding the project was really hard and nobody was helping me. I need to maintain a score of at least 85 out of 100 in order to keep my scholarship so I'm always busting my balls with the projects and stuff.

I know my situation doesn't look remotely similar to yours but the lesson is that you will face difficulties that you have to overcome.
>>
>>17701354
Cal Newport. Check his stuff.
>>
File: sage.jpg (23KB, 700x466px) Image search: [Google]
sage.jpg
23KB, 700x466px
>>17701354
>ptsd

fuckoff you sjw

no you don't
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.