[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Significant Other is a Terrible Cook

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_2417.jpg (65KB, 728x521px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2417.jpg
65KB, 728x521px
Yo anons. Subject is the problem described concisely.

>be 19 year old male
>first time living in apartment
>high school sweetheart moves in with me

I'm on the university swim team, and I make sure to eat like a pro. Prepare healthy food on Sunday and Wednesday, portion it out for my girlfriend and I. She's pretty athletic as well, so it works.

Every once in a while she bakes desserts, and holy crap is she good at it.

So we're now about two months into the term, right? About two weeks in, I was seriously busy so I didn't cook. Girlfriend offers and I'm grateful.

It was quite literally the worst chicken I've ever eaten in my life. You know how when you put chicken breast in the oven with bad prep, it will taste like chicken fat? It was about three times stronger. I told her about it gently, redid it with her so she could watch how to prep it, no problem.

Two weeks after that, same thing happens. I have a research lab I've got to be at so I ditch the food. She decides to make sliced potatoes, green beans, and brown rice. I have meat prepped in the freezer, she only had to heat it up.

Same thing. A brilliant failure on the potatoes and the brown rice. They weren't cooked enough, the seasoning on the potatoes was questionable, and she was pretty depressed. To her credit, the green beans were decent.

I tried the same thing as last time. I laugh it off, tell her we're just starting to live independently and this kind of stuff is normal. I think she took it well but she was still pretty bummed out.

It was kind of like sitcom-material, because later in the day, I vomited, and spent the next day with a stomachache. She felt like shit the entire time but I joked around about it.

I know cooking only gets better with practice, but I guess I'm just trying to fish for general advice here. Anything in particular I should do to make her feel better?
>>
By the way, the reason I'm bring this up now is because last week I suggested she try cooking what we redid together. She tries and failed at it. She wasn't crying but she was down in the dumps. I told her we'll keep working at it, and it must be her talents in baking that is skewing her cooking abilities. I think that cheered her up a bit...
>>
>>17695105

Some people legitimately don't know how to cook, and it's really not her fault.

Literally just tell her to follow a recipe or something and give that to her along with instructions.

That's literally how to do it, she can't fuck it up if she's following a manual.
>>
Buy her cooking classes. She's under cooking everything and will eventually kill you from food poisoning if she doesn't learn how to safely cook.

Do that or just cook your portion beforehand and become a microwave warrior.
>>
>>17695123
I considered this and we wrote down the recipe down for the second trial. I'm not sure what happened.
>>
>>17695123
It's really their fault. You just follow linear instructions. They are too fucking stupid to follow linear instructions.

Nobody, guy or girl, is worth dating if they can't follow linear instructions. Monkeys can follow fucking linear instructions.

Inability to cook is the biggest fucking redflag for anyone.
>>
>>17695127
Surely you don't mean at the uni though right? We're both aiming for medical school so there's not much room for electives.

You know those movies where the moms get together to learn cooking at a community center? Does that still exist?
>>
>>17695139

I agree to a certain extent, but I can say I know people who don't actually understand the amount of spice or something to put into a dish.

Some people legitimately just become retarded in some situations and cooking seems to be a big one
>>
>>17695166
Like I don't get it. Isn't baking the same exact thing? It's like she literally can only make desserts.
>>
>can bake
>can't cook
Huh, that's pretty interesting. Baking's considered more 'technical' (in precision and following directions, etc.), so maybe your GF's treating cooking like baking, when she should rely more on experimenting and gut feeling (and tasting shit as she goes).
>>
>>17695105
Cook along with her
I'm an ROTCfag in college and could not cook at all; as a matter of fact, I lived off of MREs and college food until my gf moved into my apartment with me. Learning how to cook and having someone teach you how to do it is pretty fun and can be a nice way to bond
>>
Ditch the dream of being together from HS. Doesn't work, and as far as cooking she may not have the skills, end.
>>
Stick it in her pooper you normie fucking faggot op
>>
If you have such a problem with her cooking, why not just cook for yourself? Prep some meals in advance and stick them in the freezer for when you're too busy to cook
>>
>>17695140
>You know those movies where the moms get together to learn cooking at a community center? Does that still exist?
not that anon but a lot of communities have "community ed" classes, some of which are adults only, some all ages. google community ed and your city or county. the last county I lived in had their program through the high school. mostly saturday classes or evening classes, 8-10 sessions tops, usually fewer. many were only 1 or 2 sessions. fees varied depending on the class and materials required. if your area has such a program, sign up for their newsletter. that way if they don't currently have a beginner cooking class, you will be notified through their newsletter if they get one.
>>
Yeah my current girlfriend and the last one were both awful cooks. Their mothers were awful cooks and they weren't raised to cook or have 'positive attitudes towards food'. I'm from a farming family and grew up just expecting women to work their ass off all the time at these kind of things and if needed, men could also do it as well, but they didn't because they were working their ass off doing something that they were better at.

The thing is, both have been unwilling to put in effort to overcome something they weren't naturally good at and they were both very keen to deflect attention and escalate things to avoid looking like they didn't know what they were doing with simple tasks and were keen to spend stupid amounts of money to make it a non-issue, the self delusion was strong.

Like for me, you leave a women in a house with enough time and resources and a miniature vegetable and useful herb garden, chickens, a greenhouse for propagation of seedlings, preserved produce, home brewed fermented things, fresh bread, even cat and dog breeding and minor things which bring in money is the result.

Like my last girlfriend binge watched netflix and then complained about being bored when I finished work. Eventually I had to go north korea to stop her using the internet to try and cheat on me and accumulate debt before we broke up.

My current one can't cook and refuses to admit it. She also breaks like 10 things a day and refuses to admit it. She does have a good job though so I prepared to keep her a little. Too many people want to live this fantasy where you are semi self sufficient, but they don't realise the effort involved and just because these topics are 'soft' topics, doesn't mean you just laugh and snort and act like you were born experts in them.

Like, why are you clicking with your tongue at that animal trying to get its attention? It has never been clicker trained with food. It doesn't know what the fuck you are doing? Do you think they come like that?
>>
>>17695105

Seems like you have it pretty much down. I guess you could leave written instructions with food if you're not around, which would help and done enough times she'll get the idea but could come off as patronizing.

>>17695132
Huh. Maybe she just made a misstep and wasn't paying attention? Probably what happened. You should probably clarify what you wrote so we can judge whether you give idiot-proof instructions or not.

>>17695139

You're assuming a lot here. As someone who is "bad" at cooking, I can tell you that (for me at least) I just go off memory of how I was taught, and even then I only generally get it right. To be fair, it's shit like stir-fry, mex-tex chilli, spaghetti so they're pretty hard to fuck up but the issue just comes from not knowing how much spice is too much (for other people), how much sauce is too much etc. for whatever reason and NOT reading recipes. I always figured as long as it tastes good, and doesn't make you sick who cares.

Then again, some people are just picky and can only handle EXACTLY 67.978363653 ml of X sauce, cooked for EXACTLY 22 1/2 minutes on EXACTLY 180 degrees otherwise NO THIS ISN'T HOW I LIKE IT DO IT AGAIN.

Of course not THAT extreme but it does feel like that sometimes. Maybe just different tastes.
>>
>>17695953
Maybe you should get a Russian mail order bride
>>
>>17696111
Dude do you know how much Russian women love to shop? The ones I've known are so status obsessed and fixated on material possessions it isn't even funny.

My point still feels fairly valid. People aren't born great cooks and being a great cook requires a whole bunch of varied skills which have influence on other aspects of your life.

From being able to cook using limited ingredients, using seasonal produce, being able to understand substitutions and what is key within a recipe, understanding how these things fit together, working with limited equipment or space and still making it work out.

If you can't cook without exact instructions. Exact ingredients. Exact equipment and plenty of time and support in order to get it right then you've likely got issues in other parts of your life. My current girlfriend will look at a fridge and say we've not got anything to eat. What she means is she can't think of anything to make. She'll get pissed off and frustrated at me for some reason rather than herself. I'll be able to describe 10 different meals that all sound good to her.

Yeah maybe we lack a specific thing. You improvise and adapt. Want mint for mojitos? No we don't have any in the fridge. Don't get pissy at me, it grows in the garden. Yes there is a specific way to cut it so it branches above the next growth node so you get more horizontal growth rather than vertical. No you aren't born knowing these things, but a good cook possesses these skills.
>>
I think it is more of a practice makes perfect thing. My wife and I had no idea how to cook when we first started dating. In my single days I ate alot of garbage; frozen dinners, frozen pizza, frozen crap that all you need to do is put it in the oven and wait till it is done. I made one real meal for my wife and I have been the main cook since. Over time I tried more experimenting with new dishes and whatnot. Now I am a really decent cook. My wife isn't too bad either but it was kinda hard at first for her because I was the one always cooking. How we do it now is I cook during the week and she takes weekends.
>>
>>17695105
Tell her to taste the food she's cooking for you.
It's it's shit and under cooked, then tell her not to feed it to you and learn to fucking cook.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.