[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Community College before Master's?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: holy hell natalia.jpg (69KB, 506x800px) Image search: [Google]
holy hell natalia.jpg
69KB, 506x800px
If I plan to do a master's in somethint I have limited experience in would it be best that I go to a community college first?

My goal is to get a master's in cs and I have a bs in math with some experience already, but I'd feel more comfortable trying it out at a cc first.

I just don't have any references that I know so I'm kind of going in blind.
>>
It's not a bad idea. If you get into a program with no formal CS experience, you'll probably have to take a few classes as deficiencies anyway. A community college would be a cheaper way of getting those classes finished and seeing if it's something you want to commit to.
>>
>>17691636
See this is my thought exactly.

The caveat is that I either move out of state to somewhere with better jobs and work through this (but pay a lot more for cc), or live at home and just save but prpbably not find any work (also my house is toxic).
>>
You just apply for the Master's. -take GRE

Or a second bachelor's and writing a letter of intent. #related work exp

Might take undergrad classes first. Or get in grad school first then take some undergrad.
>>
If you take undergrad classes, getting a internship or coop or undergrad research exp would help propel you into a better grad school.

I would think
>>
>>17691515
Absolutely horrible idea. Community colleges are black holes for learning. I've been in one for 4 years, full time/part time finally about to transfer out. Everyone at the CC is uninspired. Its kind of a cycle, these high school graduates come in with the same mentality or just to get some financial aid money. Its this environment that kills the professors and makes them not give a fuck either.

If you're going for CS then you should be able to learn all you need to know online, Technology is an ever evolving field. If you can't learn using the internet then after you graduate with your masters you're basically gonna be fucked since you wont be able to keep up with the c hanges. Learn to learn by yourself, in other words.

Got any specific questions about community college? Im in here for CS
>>
Certain number of comm college hours would put a hold on your student loans.

But just go to 4 yr college or straight to masters program
>>
>>17692307
I'd like to do this, but I'd have to wait a year to apply so i figure why not start now?

>>17692315
This was my thought exactly. Living somehwere with a tech sector (Wa, Tx, etc.) Will not only make it easier to find one, but also means I'd have access to a larger regional network.

>>17692343
Gaving gone through college already I know how to make the best of it. My problem the first time was that I was depressed (stress from home life) which led me to awitch a couple times. Then everyone told me just to stick with something and graduate (terrible advice) so I finished my math degree feeling like it brought me nothing.

I have taught myself the basics of Java and already learned the basics of C++ while doing my undergrad, but I feel like there's a huge leap between learning something and actually creating something. I don't even know where to begin in that regard, which is why I'd rather have a more formal learning experience. Plus, I always do well in school.

>>17692355
Already have a BS. I'd rather not pay a lot just to take some intro classes and then transfer.

If it's not clear: I graduated and currently work a great rewarding job as an Amazon warehouse associate. That's a bit of a longer story.
>>
>>17692361
>I don't even know where to begin in that regard
Not community college. Look for an online coding based community and ask them. For java its best if you make a game using JavaFX as your first project. That's basically what most java classes at CC's do. I'm in a java class right now. If you want to network then you should actually go. My prof at a CC is actually a manager at NASA's JPL, and he's gonna offer someone an internship at the end of the course.

Also there's some upside to your degree in math. Since you have strong math skills, you'll probably out perform people in programming. My mentor got a math degree from UCLA and became a multi-millionaire creating programs and designing things for the government. I think you can do that if you use your strength in math.
>>
>>17692361
>already I know how to make the best of it.
also care to elaborate?
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.