[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there someone that actually got over his fear of speaking

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

Is there someone that actually got over his fear of speaking in public? I need some quality advice on how to get comfortable at it since i just started doing my clinical rotation.
>>
>>17690886
I took a class
>>
>>17691093
This.

I took a course my last semester of college. Came out of it with zero anxiety.

I'm sure you can find non-college courses/tutors.
>>
I never took a class, I just forced myself to do it a lot. It's really not that hard. In a lot of ways talking to an audience is easier than talking to an individual or a small group of people because they feed off of each other -- you know how when you watch a comedy in a theater sometimes you laugh at jokes you wouldn't laugh at if you were just watching it on your laptop in your room? A group mind is a lot easier to win over than a single person (for me, anyway).

My favorite trick is to say something slightly outrageous (not offensive, sometimes even just something unexpected and offbeat will do) in the first minute or two. If you can get 20% of the audience laughing, which really is not very hard, they'll often get a further 30% of the audience laughing, and from that point on they'll all mostly be on your side.
>>
And I will say that once you've done that a couple times -- which works equally well on groups of 10 as groups of 100 -- your anxiety will probably vanish on its own and you'll feel a lot more confident piping up in any situation.
>>
>>17691093
>>17691099
thank you, i'm currently looking around for a toastmasters club in my area

>>17691120
thanks for the advice. the only problem is as soon as i have to talk in front of a crowd i suffer from immense tunnel vision which turns into a dissociative state where i cannot think clearly. maybe it's just the anxiety burning up, but it really keeps me from having a clear mind.
>>
>>17690886
>Is there someone that actually got over his fear of speaking in public?

You appearing afraid is more embarrassing that being cool and calm. Think of it that way. Start off with an ice breaker.. then you should be fine.
>>
>>17690886
Do you get nervous recording yourself, too? In addition to forcing yourself to doing it - and often - I've found that watching recordings of myself helps. Totally painful and embarrassing as hell, but if you do it often enough, you start to develop that "ah- fuck it... " courage and just do it rather than letting your fear overtake your sense of responsibility.
>>
I never do public speaking without some sort of drugs.
>>
Oh yeah. It kinda faded when I started to open up more with others; I grew up socially anxious.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.