[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

CS Major, What do?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

I am currently going to college for a CS degree and I am in my second year. I have a very strong interest in computer science and have taught myself over the years. I never really was that interested in school and just did not really care, but when it came to learning to program in my free time, I fell in love.

Yet here I am in college now and I absolutely hate CS in the classroom. The classes are incredibly boring, doing nothing no name projects where it is hard to see the benefit other that this really neat specific thing that seems like only C++ can do.

I was never really that interested in math and I have to take so much of it! From what I have heard from many people who have graduated with CS majors and got CS jobs say they barely ever need to use half of the complex math that you are taught, so going into math classes seem like a waste of my time when I could be doing something more beneficial and interesting

I have just lost complete interesting going to college for CS when I could just teach myself. I know there is a lot of networking opportunities that you can get from college, but that just feels like a waste when I am going to school and hating every single minute.

Should I strive through the rest of these first few CS classes, or do they stay pretty much the same in terms of cool projects or find another major I can go into?
>>
That picture looks familiar, where's it from?

CS major here. I took time off from college because I wasn't sure about it. And, I find the math classes stupid because they probably won't be used, just like you.

The few people I know who got CS degrees all have the financial means to live on their own. I went back to college after trying out life without it. I fucking hate it dude, I'm in it right now, around halfway through.

Still, for me personally, it's the best path I've found so far.

So, hopefully that helps you out.
>>
>>17689828
The pic is from an episode of Powerpuff Girls. I think it's from that episode where they have that giant power rangers like robot.
>>
>>17689828
So you recommend to stick with it?
>>
>>17689856
I actually have no recommendation, because for all I know I could be ruining my life. Or it might just be that if I'm in hell, I need to keep going.
>>
Talk to people, don't settle with classes. Talk to your teachers, find groups of people like you and do something big.
>>
>>17689816
Why are you doing CS if you don't care for Mathematics? Half of CS and everything unique to it is a subset of Mathematics. The other half is Software Engineering, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Electronics Engineering, etc. If you just want to be a programmer then do Software Engineering, the people you know who've said they don't use most of it. Don't because they've just got code monkey jobs, not one's that use most of CS.
>>
>>17690062
This.

Computer science is not programming. Most CS majors get this confused and end up dropping after calc 1

Computer science is a subset of mathematics, if you wanted to become a code monkey, switch to a software engineering degree
>>
>>17689856

Drop it, like you said, you can learn almost everything on your own. Degrees are becoming more and more worthless, Pajeet cheats on all the exams and assignments and the rest are gaymer autists who think they're gonna work for Nintendo. Get out while you still can
>>
Iam interested in majoring in CS too. Right now I'm currently taking the last 4 classes I need for my AA then going to transfer to get my bach.

I have gotten Bs in all my classes except I failed a calc 3 course in the summer and I feel like I may take a withdrawal for my last class physics w/ calc 2 and try again in the spring.
According to transfer reqs I didn't need calc 3 at all.
How fucked am I if I wanted to transfer into a state University? Specifically fsu
>>
>>17690224

Like I said, college is becoming increasingly more worthless and if you're having trouble passing calc and physics at JC its not gonna get easier at a state university. Just cut your losses and drop out.
>>
File: 1446088508648.jpg (529KB, 2560x1433px) Image search: [Google]
1446088508648.jpg
529KB, 2560x1433px
>>17691212
The thing is I'm sure people with a 4 year degree still earn more than people who only completed 2 years or less. I still feel strongly about pursuing CS no matter the bullshit I have to go through.
I feel like dropping out will do way more harm than good for me. I'm not looking for the easy route. I would just like to know how bad did I slip up and what I need to do so I can move on from this. Any advice on what tools I can get in order to succeed would be amazing
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.