[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

When I was 15 I was arrested for public intoxication. It was

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1

File: Unknown.jpg (3KB, 200x150px) Image search: [Google]
Unknown.jpg
3KB, 200x150px
When I was 15 I was arrested for public intoxication. It was a first offense and in exchange for 20 hours community service the records were sealed and expunged. Since then I went on to have a great life, never got arrested again, and got a masters and phd from an Ivy League. I have googled myself MANY times in the past 13 years and never had seen any mugshot online. I do not have much of an online presence beyond LinkedIn and professional websites. No Facebook or anything like that. Now, I am on the job market and looking for a great career. I spent so much time perfecting all my application materials, and before beginning the job search I spent a good deal of time this summer Googling myself and all spellings of my name to make sure that there was nothing weird on the net.
I got word that one of the jobs I really wanted had made it to the next stage of the review process. I googled myself out of curiosity, and on page 5 I found a mugshot!!!!!! From when I was 15! Now, after all this time I don't think my father (Who handled the lawyer for the case as I was a minor) still has the copy of the notice this was a sealed record. It is illegal in my state to have a sealed record online and they are supposed to take it down. But that takes up to 30 days once I get proof of the sealing and additionally I wonder, why is this suddenly showing up now???? did an employer search my name and arrest or something (something I never did because honestly, I thought with it sealed and expunged almost immediately it was not going to be haunting my life).
I am super bummed, and I wonder why all of the sudden it is showing in search results now????
>>
>>17689408
You probably just didn't notice that it was there. Or google have adjusted their algorithm and now it's showing up

How old are you now? Will your employer even give a shit?
>>
>>17689412
I am looking for a job, so it is a potential employer. And I would think yes because it is a very competitive job market and they will care about my reputation.

I literally spent an entire day cleaning up my online presence, removing anything that could possibly be objectionable associated with any spellings of my name.
>>
>>17689412
I am 30 now
>>
>>17689408
Page 5 of google images is basically the deep web. It doesn't matter how competitive your job is, that's not seeing the light of day any time soon.
>>
>>17689447
That's good to know.
Unfortunately BING has it on page one.

Also, it is not on images, it is on Google Search page 5.
>>
1) Employers don't actually "google you". They don't honestly give a shit about your personal life.
2) You were under 18, which means it doesn't apply to your current life and does not show on ANY background checks, and even if it did it's sealed and expunged.
3) Even IF they somehow found that on page 5 (nobody is fucking going back that far), they wouldn't put 2 and 2 together because you look nothing like you did at 15.

You idiot. You shouldn't get the job because you're actually just stupid.
>>
once your mugshot makes it to a mugshot website, the process of getting it taken down is difficult/impossible. you can google horror stories of people going through a $13K+ cycle of lawsuits to these companies just to have them sell the info to another company and repeat the cycle.

if it didn't come up in a background check or the first 3 pages of google, your prospective employer probably didn't find it. Plus, it was public intoxication when you were 15: kids fuck up all the time, and if your story that you've posted to this Laotian silent film forum is correct, you have clearly made better life choices since then
>>
>>17689454
It looks like me.

Also my name is very uncommon and they have my middle name and current age and DOB.

Finally, yes, in my line of work I was specifically counseled to go and purge any information because it is routine for the hiring committees to Google all the applicants they are interested in. Which is why I spent a good deal of time removing anything that was not professional. I don't know how in over a decade I have not come across this.
>>
>>17689447
this lmao

my nudes dont show til page 8
>>
>>17689461
Oh yes, I already spoke with a lawyer who said don't try. So, I guess my options are: hope no one goes to page 5 of Google Results, hope no one uses any other search engine, which comes up as like the 2nd or 3rd result.

Unfortunately, this is a line of work where professional image is important. Yes, I have made better choices since then obviously. I was a kid and I was drinking with some friends and got arrested. But it doesn't look great for any company to have an employee whose teen mugshot you can pull up.

It is only showing up on one site. I know some people have them on multiple sites and everywhere. My state actually passed a law they need to remove it in 30 days so I guess I just need to find a way to dig up proof it was sealed and expunged.

Just a bummer, I don't mean to sound like an idiot, but I put so much time into getting my degrees, into polishing my application profile super clean, and I was so shocked to find this.
>>
>>17689485
Well if it was Google images I couldn't give a crap. I can't even find the image on the images search.
But it's different when you work in a profession where Googling is pretty common and someone meets you and then goes back home and Googles your name and finds you 15 years old and all shitfaced.

Like I said I am also in shock because I took a lot of time this summer, many months in advance, to go through up to page 10 of Google Results and go through Google images and make sure anything personal was gone. I found some photos from college that were kind of questionable in google images, had them all removed, removed art work I had done when I was younger, found "favorite lists" and public wish lists. Everything gone.

My public presence looked great.
And then all the sudden this comes up.
>>
>>17689489
I wouldn't sweat it, if it ever comes up in an interview, just be up front about it but don't go into a lot of detail about it
>>
>>17689495
I will try not to. It just really hit hard.
Job searches are hard enough as it is, time consuming, lots of let downs. This felt like a horrible blow.

Now I'm just wasting time worrying about something out of my control, I guess, but it just feels like shit.

I know do the crime pay the time, but ... I was really under the impression it was a first offense, never repeated, and loooooooooong gone out of my life.
>>
>>17689454
1)Yes they do. Maybe not if you're applying for McDonalds though. It's pretty typical for even mid-tier jobs to be background checked by a third party that will use google.

>>17689451
Google search page 5 is even deeper.
I doubt anybody with an IT background would use Bing in a background check, but it's... Possible?
The probability of them caring about a teenage misdemeanor with no corresponding criminal record and the improbability of them actually finding it? I wouldn't lose sleep over it.
>>
>>17689511
Thanks.

I feel you.
At the same time, it will be a future where lots of people are Googling me.

It sounds like my state has a law that will force the removal of the image, because it was in fact sealed and expunged, however, it will take some time to get the information needed to prove it.

At least in about 60 days I can hope to have it gone.

Can't believe this stuff is legal. Many people on these sites were never even convicted of a crime.
>>
Change your name if it worries you so much.
>>
>>17689528
Yes, my boyfriend of 5 years actually asked if I wanted to go to city hall and get married and take his very generic last name
>>
>>17689519
In the meantime don't visit the site. That's just going to bump it up the pagelist, where it could actually be seen.
How many pages of results total are there? What field will you be working in?

Just to put things in perspective, a good public profile is important in hollywood, too. Far more people googling names there than whatever field you're applying for, I promise. There are galleries of celebrity teen mugshots that haven't scraped a single career.
>>
>>17689541
Teaching.
And you know these kids Google their teachers (I know from being an assistant teacher and watching them do it!). Hard to maintain class moral when the kids have your mugshot.

I know I am not visiting the site, I had to visit it to file a removal request and then I wrote down the link so I won't need to go to it again.

There are 2 pages of solid, pure business stuff. Then by the third it is mentions of my name in other people's books. By the fourth it is getting to be non relevant to me, and then it comes up at the top of the fifth. I have heard different people see different results, but a friends computer that he barely uses also had it as page 5.
>>
Hi Anon,

Fiancee has been working in HR and a recruiter for years now. Most organizations will only ask for you to submit to a background check. Unless you're going for some form of US Government security clearance, the type of background check you will undergo will only scratch the surface (pretty much felony type acts and even misdemeanors under the right circumstances).

If it's on page 5 of Google, you are most likely good. However if the question goes something like 'have you ever been arrested (regardless of whether the record was sealed or expunged)' it would be in your best interest to be truthful and honest.

Anon, I have been arrested (in addition to other issues) and I also have a high level security clearance in the US Government. The background check for mine took nearly a year and unearthed everything you could possibly think so.

Any RESPECTABLE employer will not put much weight in something stupid that happened when you were 15 (especially since most of the people on the hiring end took part in underage drinking and their own misgivings themselves). What they would look for is a *pattern* or a *tendency* to display bad judgement. (of course this doesn't mean they'll look the other way for an aggravated assault arrest from a couple years ago). But public intoxication when you were 15 is very very unlikely to be an issue.
>>
>>17689586
Thanks for this.
>>
>>17689494
i am in medical school, applying to cardiothoracics residencies. dont worry about it. no one looks that deep.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.