[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Breaking lease

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: download.jpg (11KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
11KB, 259x194px
I'm looking for some advice on how to get out of a bad share housing situation.

I moved into the place about 18 months ago and was sub-letting at first. About 6 months in I had to become one of the co-signed on the lease. I never saw any kind of condition report form, which is an issue because the house is in a very bad state structurally (walk cracks etc.) and it has years of dirt built up from before I moved in.

In the past this hasn't been a problem for people leaving because they have just got the new housemate to take over their lease. However it is a problem for me because all the other residents also want to move out at the same time, which means the whole place will get an inspection from the owner/agent. Given that the owner/agent has been pretty unscrupulous in the past I'm worried they'll use this opportunity to try and get me to pay for repairs and cleaning of shit that was there before I even lived there.

I'm not trying to escape my obligation to clean my room and get the rest of the house back to the standard it was at when I moved in. What I AM trying to avoid is getting lumped with the task or cost of many days worth of cleaning mess that I didn't make in order to get the house back to inspection standard.

So my question is, is it possible for me as an individual to get off the lease before the rest of the leaseholders? If so, how do I do this? I accept that there will be a cost cut I'd rather eat a few weeks of rent money than not be able to rent another property for the next few years.
>>
If you all leave at the same time, you all have the same obligations in relation to cleaning.

>So my question is, is it possible for me as an individual to get off the lease before the rest of the leaseholders? If so, how do I do this?
Yes, take a look at your lease. There'll probably be some sort of penalty or you'll have to continue to pay rent even if you're not living there
>>
>>17687262
>you all have the same obligations in relation to cleaning.
This I would be OK with, but I should add that of the 5 people leaving there only 3 are on the lease. The other two are foreigners on a short term stay who will just skip out and leave the remaining 3 of us. The other two are also foreigners and are planning to move cities, so they might also just bail out and leave me holding the bag. I'm the only one with a real job so I have a lot more to lose.
>>
>>17687268
>the other two.
To clarify there are 5 of us, 2 aren't on the lease, 2 of the remaining 3 are likely to bail. Hence my desire to get out ahead of them before things get really messy.
>>
>>17687268
Okay, so whoever is on the lease with you has the same obligations in relation to cleaning. If they do bail, the landlord is free to come after just you though so your fears are a real possibility. Just take a look through your lease to see if you can break it early
>>
>>17687275
I can break the lease early. What I'm uncertain about is how it works for the remainder who are still on the lease.

I'm thinking my best option might be to unilaterally break the lease, and line up a short-term subletter (not on the lease) to cover my share of the rent for the remaining months until I leave.
>>
>>17687296
What does the exact clause say?
>>
>>17687299
There's scope for tenants to break the lease early and that they will compensate the lessor for the costs of finding a new tenant. I'm considered as a 'tenant in common'. The form regarding breaking of lease refers to paying these costs to re-let the premises, which don't apply in this instance since there will still be people there and they only need to get 1 more person in.
>>
>>17687319
I asked you to post the actual clause because it might not allow just one of you to break the lease, it might have to be all of you in a joint decision.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.