[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Failing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: girl.jpg (29KB, 602x400px) Image search: [Google]
girl.jpg
29KB, 602x400px
Hi /adv/

I'm currently a first year student in a PhD program for economics, and struggling. I spend virtually all my "spare" time studying and ace the homework but bomb the tests. I haven't been sleeping properly because of stress and as a consequence haven't been exercising regularly like I used to.

I feel like if things keep going this way I will fail and get kicked out. I'm not really qualified to do anything and failing out of a graduate program is a red flag for employers anyway.

I just feel afraid at the moment because I am beginning to become depressed and I'm highly considering seppuku.

Has anyone else had a similar experience?
>>
Anyone?
Please?
>>
>>17686882
i'm going through something similar. to me it sounds like fear of failing is your biggest problem. what's your endgame if you do fail and drop out? is it really the end of the world or is it something that you'd rather not do? not saying that you should accept it, but to look at how it may impact your life realistically and work to prevent it if it crosses the threshold of mattering to you that much.

i'm just in undergrad so maybe it's a more lauded approach but relative to me to an employer--you have a degree and you've been accepted to get paid to work/research/study at a university. maybe for a more senior level position you'd need more experience to override the shortcoming of dropping out but i'd say you're more accomplished and stronger than you may realize as least to me.

also i am terrible at advice i should not be on this board.
>>
Are you an undergraduate?

I was in the same situation 3 years ago.
>in school for pharmacy
>Stressed, full time, 3.2gpa, 3 jobs
>dropped out because I realized I didn't love the program

>currently in Business Admin program for MBA
>full time student, studying everyday, all A's, get passive income from baby business I slapped together, 3-7 hours of sleep not including 2 hr midday nap, As or Bs on tests
>I regularly meet with my professors, future professors and a few who aren't my professors but help mentor me
Regular meetings with professors says "hey, I'm serious and I want to know wtf we're going over next week.

I'm obsessed with economics, international business, and marketing. I get an average of 150 textbook pages to read each week but I get it done.
I also have a calendar with appointments and due dates to get things done.
I also have all my classes planned out for the next 2 years, projected savings planned out, but then again I'm real analytical

You don't like what you do
It shows
What do you want to become?
What's your plan with your degree?
>>
>>17686882
Professor writing here:

This is an educated guess - you are studying the wrong things the wrong way.

Homework assignments are simple research and feedback - read the question, find the answer, write it down.

But what your professors are really trying to teach you is NOT facts and data but "How To Think Like An Economist".

Exams are probably not "Show me you remember these facts" but "Think about this question the way an economist would, and show me you can look at things that way"

In preparing for tests don't just memorize things. Think back at how the professor dealt with a topic and practice applying the same sort of thinking to a different topic.
>>
>>17686882
If you are acing your homework but failing your exams, you are almost definitely doing your homework incorrectly. Economic homework sets aren't meant to teach you concepts to memorize per-se, but problem solving skills.

Here's a website I found to be very helpful: http://www.economics.cornell.edu/graduate-program/gsafe/advice-first-year-phd-students-economics-cornell

Hope it applies to you.
>>
>>17686882
Your in a phd program and your taking tests? Why are you not doing a fucking thesis?

Or are you in an 8 year bachelor to phd program?
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.