[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Outsmarted by Peers

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: albert_einstein_1921_1050x700.jpg (131KB, 1050x700px) Image search: [Google]
albert_einstein_1921_1050x700.jpg
131KB, 1050x700px
This question is particularly for people over 22.

Do any of you have experience dealing with peers who are more intelligent than you, like going from a low-tier high school to an ivy league college, for instance? Maybe I'm exaggerating the threat, but these people seem to be really adaptive and good at manipulation. Sometimes the cliché things they say are stupid, but it's probably just social chameleon crap they spout when they're not feeling normie enough. I'm definitely an empathetic, fairly well-behaved person, but I also don't want to walk around with my tail between my legs.

TL;DR: how do you deal with being outsmarted by peers?
>>
Work out and get big, they'll be intimidated by you in another way.

Fuck their gfs if possible
>>
Ehm... Get smarter?
>>
>>17684608
Oh! I should have specified that I'm threatened by females, not males.

>>17684613
I'll try my best.
>>
>>17684598
I haven't experienced it much. That being said though, if I don't happen to know one thing about some obscure unimportant shit, I get stick about it from two friends that went to a better school than I did. Usually if I express that I don't understand the subject they go "oh yeah you went to 'not-so-great-school' didn't you?" which feels pretty shitty.

On the plus side though they're financial retards and are digging themselves into a large amount of debt with frivolous spending while I've managed to save a nice amount.
>>
>>17684619
that doesn't sound fair. if they were in the same classes as you and knew more, then they could dig at you for it, but otherwise idk.
>>
>>17684598
Well, it'd be easier to answer if you would define what you see under "intelligent" and "outsmarted"

I know tons of people who have a much better understanding of ... say, calculus than me (basically any 7th grader would do) but lack at other things and generally struggle through life. Can't take anybody who is bad at the game of life serious, so let's skip them. There was a single guy who was only one year older and better than me at almost everything, offensively so ... which was an awesome experience. Although it raised my expectations from other people and myself to a pretty high standard, which in turn paints most in an rather unfavorable light.

>Sometimes the cliché things they say are stupid
These people tend only to be a bit better than the average. Have yet to see someone truly accomplished who went that route.

>how do you deal with being outsmarted by peers?
If they did it at something I value, I try to learn from them. If it's about something I don't care about (calculus again) well, nothing to deal with. Great for them.
>>
>>17684632
It's pretty constant. I don't really see them anymore but that's a result of other reasons, they weren't the most mature people exactly.

The best advice really is to just not care or just hang out with other people. There's no reason to be around people that think you're inferior to them just because they went to a better school than you did.
>>
>>17684635
>do you mean actually more intelligent, or-
yes, equal or greater intelligence. gifted and genius IQ, well bred, raised better than average...

>these people [who say cliché things] only tend to be a bit better than the average
yeah it seems like pack mentality holds people back

>I try to learn from them
what if it's a de empowering lesson, where they flex and jerk their egos all over, sort of like >>17684619?
>>
>>17684645
>gifted and genius IQ,
Pretty much worthless indicator. There are fuckups who play vidya and jerk off to anime all day but have IQ of 140 and more.

>well bred
These tend to lack in street smarts and general life skills.

>raised better than average
These tend to lack in street smarts too.

>what if it's a de empowering lesson
Do you want to improve or not? There is no pride in ignorance.
Besides, really smart people tend to respect people who want to improve. If you have such a big issue with it, find some older people to learn from.
>>
>>17684598
>how do you deal with being outsmarted by peers?
I grew up around people much more intelligent than me and I always felt stupid. As I got older and we drifted apart I made new friends, who happened to be of average intelligence. It made me realise I was actually pretty darn smart, but I'd been surrounded by borderline-genius people and so my sense of my own intelligence was distorted. In short, get stupid friends and you'll feel smart.
>>
coming from a private college, which is pretty rare in europe:

they are just normal people, show interest in what they do, form a connection with them or dont. Elites are not formed by bullies, but by closed circles, that you get into with interest and having something worthwhile to offer.

And lots of smart people like attention on it's own.

And as always, people that you dont get along with, are not worth your time
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.