[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I am a 19 year old university student and I can conclusively

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

File: glados_by_ragora57-d4cqp51.png.jpg (104KB, 755x1057px) Image search: [Google]
glados_by_ragora57-d4cqp51.png.jpg
104KB, 755x1057px
I am a 19 year old university student and I can conclusively say that I am losing my cognitive abilities. I noticed a distinct inability to motivate myself late in the summer of this year. I'm taking half the load of courses at uni than I did last semester, with reasonably easy content, yet I still find it twice as hard.

I'm in a constant state of brainfog. I can no longer produce the intricate thoughts I once could or stay engaged in complex tasks for prolonged periods of time. I can't find interest in anything anymore. It seemed like this was going to be the point in my life where things changed for the better, yet I can't get myself to do anything.

I have no history of anxiety. These days I am usually emotionally neutral, much more than I've ever been before. I did visit a doctor for these symptoms and she didn't say they pointed to anything specific, instead directing me to psychological services. All I know is that this problem is probably more mechanical than emotional. It's like parts of my brain have been -- stolen while I wasn't looking.

What are the odds that it's an early-stage brain tumor? The only real inconsistency that has with my research is the fact that I haven't been having headaches, never have had them.
>>
Diagnosis : Depression
>>
>>17684474

But does that explain the loss of cognitive function? Because I know that's happening. It's not just that I don't feel like doing anything, my brain is going nonresponsive no matter how hard I push it.

Also I have a great life with people who love me.
>>
File: psilocybin_3d.jpg (30KB, 600x500px) Image search: [Google]
psilocybin_3d.jpg
30KB, 600x500px
>>17684489
Because that is a symptom of depression.

>Or, at least, saying phrases like, "brain fog" is a classic symptom of depression.
>>
>>17684504
The brain "fog" is much sharper than anything else, and ZERO feelings of sadness are present. There's apathy and loss of motivation, but I never consciously feel sad, and I have no reason to. The brain fog is much more acute, and calling it "fog" is an understatement. I'm being objective when I say my intellect is GONE, not because I don't want to use it, but because my BRAIN has stopped responding no matter how hard I try to force myself to use it.

There is no emotional component to this. This is a severe neurological problem that developed very recently.
>>
pls help
>>
>>17684514
Depression is not "the sads". It's almost better to think of it as the flip side of mania. During a manic episode emotion is exaggerated and stronger emotions (happiness, anger, frustration) are extremely prevalent. Meanwhile depression is characterized by emotional numbness and "low mood". In depression you default to a weaker emotional state, sometimes that is sadness but the emotional neutrality, brain fog or apathy you're describing is textbook depression.

The reason that it is so hard to motivate yourself to perform complex tasks isn't because you've lost brain function, it's because you aren't getting anything out of performing those tasks. Normally when you learn something new or apply some knowledge you get an emotional high. From what you're describing it seems like that emotional feedback isn't present so your brain can't justify engaging in complex tasks for long periods of time, it's expending energy and not getting any positive emotional feedback or reward.

You said your doctor directed you to psychological help, have you pursued that?
>>
>>17684585
Is it possible to desperately want, on a conscious level, to think on a complex level during depression, even to the point of rage, but still be unable to because the higher cognitive functions have "locked down?" Because this could be depression if a "mental lock-down" is indeed a feature, but absolutely not if it isn't.
I haven't pursued the psych because I have a fuckton of all the other worst mental problems imaginable. Throughout my life I've gradually forged my own ways to contend with them, suffering for them only indirectly -- but this one is different. I avoid psychs because I don't think they'll be willing to do anything for me. Or they'll just give me meds that may or may not cause seizures or losses of inhibitions that I can NEVER subject myself to, or, best-case scenario, I'll develop a tolerance to them. Drugs don't solve medical problems any more than taking out a loan solves a financial problem. Your body hates that you're trying to control it with external substances, and it will make you suffer for doing so.
>>
>>17684602
Yes. Your brain is starting on the process, getting no positive feedback and then trying to find something it can gain positive feedback from; it's basically the same process which allows you to tune out things you find completely uninteresting.

>I haven't pursued the psych because I have a fuckton of all the other worst mental problems imaginable.

I'm sure you have more issues than Vogue. But in seriousness, most psychs will listen when you say "I don't want a chemical solution". It's pretty standard practice based on my experience and the experiences of people I know that a blood test is done before prescription of any happy pills anyways, if the issue is mechanical as you insist it is (despite having been told by a medical professional that it's probably not) a blood test will probably find it. You can also ask for a reduced dose of happy pills if it does come to that. Otherwise the ways to start managing depression are in diet, scheduled sleep and exercise.
>>
I've been suffering from something very similar like this for a while now, never thought it was depression, though.
I've had depression for as long as I can remember and it has never exhibited itself in this manner, I was sincerely hoping there would be another explanation for this, something fixable perhaps, but I guess this adds up.
Sorry for the blogpost, but this answers the question I've been asking myself ever since this started.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.