[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Should you let people tease your girlfriend/S.O

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: 1455412673417.jpg (103KB, 800x1204px) Image search: [Google]
1455412673417.jpg
103KB, 800x1204px
Hey /adv/,

So the other week I went out with my girlfriend and her friends to a bar for some crappy trivia night and was made a little uncomfortable when one of her male friends kept calling her a bitch. In a joking way, and my girlfriend was laughing about it and I spoke to her about it later and she's completely fine with it, but hearing someone say 'shut the fuck up bitch' to your girlfriend in front of your face is never a nice feeling.

I'm fairly certain that's just what this guy thinks is funny, and he's not flirting or deliberately trying to be an asshole. He seems like a nice guy otherwise. Regardless though, I just don't like it. Mainly for selfish reasons too - I know it doesn't bother my gf so really I think it just hurts my own ego that I'd let somebody say something like that to her regardless of context.

Anyway, we're doing the same thing again tonight and this guy will be there again, so what should I do? Just learn to deal with it and keep quiet? Or should I pull him aside and say that I don't like it? I told my gf I didn't like it and said I might talk to him about it next time and she didn't tell me not to, but it didn't sound like she'd like that - I guess just because she didn't want to start any drama when she doesn't mind.

So what do /adv/? Also, as a general rule, do you think this kind of thing is ok or should it be stamped out

Pic unrelated. Thanks homies
>>
If my girlfriend had a problem with it, I would tell him to stop. Personally, I don't care what people say, but if I don't like it I would avoid them.

I think it's lame to say the (unironically) same insult repetitevely.
>>
Talk to your girlfriend about it, and then maybe she can say something to him without bringing you into the conversation. He's more likely to stop if she tells him not to than if you do
>>
>>17683037
Who cares your girlfriend doesn't why should you
>>
There's nothing wrong with feeling bad about it and you should not justify yourself like there was something wrong with it.
It's making you uncomfortable, if she truly respects you as her man, she will understand.

If *I* were in your shoes, i'd simply go up to the guy when your girlfriend is NOT around, or call him to a quiet corner in the bar and explain to him that you understand they are friends but you aren't comfortable with him saying "bitch this, bitch that.." and tell him to stop.
From what you said he's a friendly guy who simply thinks that this "joke" is funny, i'm sure he'll understand.

If your girl gets pissy at you, you tell her that you don't like it and if she's not willing to comprehend and respect that, maybe this relationship is not going very far.

You are a man, it's completely natural that you don't want some other guy calling your girl names IN FRONT OF YOU. Never excuse yourself for your manhood.
>>
File: 1466315146117.jpg (20KB, 583x583px) Image search: [Google]
1466315146117.jpg
20KB, 583x583px
>>17683037

I think context is important. I've called my cat a bitch. I've called inanimate objects bitch. I've yelled it when I stubbed my toe. In Australia, people call each other cunts regularly. Women who are friends call each other bitch, slut, whore etc,. Guys who are friends call each other assholes, dickface, etc.,

I think there's a difference between vulgar, familiar banter and disrespecting someone. Obviously your girlfriend doesn't feel disrespected, the intent is not to be disrespectful, and everyone thinks its funny and likes to participate in the mud slinging.

I think this is one of those situations not worth bringing up if your girlfriend isn't bothered by it because it would just embarrass her in front of her friends and make you look really insecure.

Its good that you're able to recognize it is selfish reasons. If if were me I wouldn't say anything. I'd probably just join in the banter and take a few jabs at him to make myself feel better.

This really seems like an issue you need to squash internally, bruh. Don't make your insecurities everyone else's problem.
>>
>>17683068

>If your girl gets pissy at you, you tell her that you don't like it and if she's not willing to comprehend and respect that, maybe this relationship is not going very far.

Yeah, blackmailing your girlfriends into agreeing with you is a great technique.

I, personally, don't like this weird mentality that anything that challenges his manliness is wrong. I also don't think that a girl not agreeing with your ego isnt equivalent to not respecting you as her man.

Never excusing yourself for your "manhood" is going to get you in trouble in the real world, bro. There is a difference between being a pushover and willing to admit that, even as a man, sometimes your emotions can drive you to do and feel things that your logic knows is silly.

I think being a real man is being able to leave some room to admit you can overreact and let your emotions get the better of you. Maybe being a real man is being able to admit you were wrong and not steamrolling everything with your manliness just because you're afraid of appearing weak or vulnerable.
>>
>>17683068
Thanks mate. This is more or less how I'm seeing the situation. I'm worried though that I'm only getting offended because I am quite insecure and have been working on standing up for myself more lately and am choosing the wrong battles to do so in.

Like >>17683070 says here, I'm sure this was just banter with no ill-intentions, and I am most likely just being overly sensitive.

>>17683070
Thanks for the advice. I'm strayan myself and definitely get the whole banter thing. It's just not really my style so I can't quite banter back.

^I can definitely see both sides of the coin here, but who's right? What do
>>
>>17683037
Banter back. Figure out something he's insecure about, and next time he makes a "joke" like that towards your girlfriend, hit him back with a "joke" aimed at him. Don't take it too far, and never break the humorous tone, but make it clear that he'd better not dish it out if he can't take it.

If it is all in good fun, this will bring you closer to your girlfriend's friends. If he actually IS being passive-aggressive, you'll put him in his place, and rightfully so. If it escalates into a real confrontation, make sure he's the one who starts it.
>>
If shes fine with it then dont rock the boat. Just have a good time. If it comes off as really rude and unnecessary then step in and say something.

I know how you feel though. Im a femanon and used to work with my mom. She gets along with everyone and is a pacifist. A gay guy who worked in a different department, but still worked with us called my mom a bitch one time in front of me. They were joking around, but I still got pissed. I got in his face and told him he better watch his mouth. He didnt call her that anymore after that. I hate how girls and gay dudes use that word all the time. That guy's a fucking douchebag for being straight and calling a girl that though.
>>
>>17683084

>have been working on standing up for myself more lately and am choosing the wrong battles to do so in.

This is the wrong battle and its good you can recognize that. No one's feelings are being hurt here, you're kind of just sticking yourself in and using this situation as a surrogate for your insecurity.

If someone was actually being hurt in this situation I would totally advocate you to say something but in this case you're kind of just being a little sensitive.

Of course, using the same insult word again and again in friendly banter can be irritating but its not harmful and girlfriend or not, its two grown adults having a consensual conversation.

I don't really see the upside to getting involved. Its okay to not like him or be irritated by him but getting involved will only illustrate your insecurity.
>>
>>17683037
if it is in a joking way, then you should have nothing to worry about, if it does not hurt your girl, then you are cool, but if he goes too far, and it is obviously hurting your girl, then that point is when you take action, but remember, reacting too much or not enough is counter-productive, you have to be at the right level of reaction when things go too far. physical aggression and near whisper protests are examples of this counter-production, preferably you should, in a clear and firm voice, say "hey buddy, your joke is going too far now, that is my girlfriend's feelings your hurting." and that should be all, provided the guy is not a complete dick. so yeah, hope that helps!

black raptor out!
>>
>>17683107
Thanks anon. Yeah, definitely disapprove of him calling any female that. Much like people don't say the n-word because it has years of association with racism, I almost feel like calling women bitches is similar because it's for years been associated with misogyny.

But at the same time, I'm super anti-censorship and pro-people knowing how to take a joke.

>>17683110
Thanks again man. As much as it goes against my principles of sticking up for loved ones, I think you're right about this being the wrong battle. It is a joke and I should learn to deal with my own insecurities independently, or at least not in a fun group setting.

>>17683115
Yep, I guess you people are right on the money. Thanks black raptor!

Any suggestions on what to do if I find myself particularly agitated about this tonight though?
>>
See this post op? >>17683082

This is bullshit for pathetic cucks. Don't listen to nu-male crap like this. Always keep your girl in her place and take charge, or you'll become a beta cuck like that poster and possibly lose your girl.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.