/script>
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

SvI

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 4

File: IMG_1171.png (88KB, 400x449px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1171.png
88KB, 400x449px
Does school really justify your level of intelligence?
>>
No. In most of the world, schools are just tools of the state to keep the people sheep anyway.
>>
>>17682183

"Justify" means "offering reasons or justification".

I thinks you meant "measure", as in, "tell you how smart you are".

And no, grades don't tell you how smart you are. They usually tell you how good you are at memorizing stuff. Most teachers don't want you to think too much, and their tests don't ask you to think.
>>
>>17682183
No. But accomplishing something, like successfully completing a degree, can say a lot about your character.
>>
>>17682194
I meant justify as in, "you have *insert degree here* you must be so smart"
>>
>>17682201

Still, same thing. Those tests are designed to show you can repeat like a parrot most of the time.

Maybe a good college would be different, but high school is just an echo chamber.

And what Anon says here is also right, >>17682197.
>>
>>17682183
"Grades = how much of a sheep you are" is a fucking meme.

Sure, high school is a joke and mostly just measures work ethics. However, for harder undergrad programs and most grad programs, doing well definitely shows at least some aspects of your intelligence.
>>
File: IMG_1576.jpg (40KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1576.jpg
40KB, 640x640px
>>17682183
Honestly, I just tell people I'm a computer engineering major with a 4.0 when I want to feel smart.
However, I'm literally just at uni to go to law school and eventually make 6 figures. I don't really do that to feel "smart".
>>
>>17682183
>Does school really justify your level of intelligence?

Damn that nonsensical question is making my head hurt.
>>
>>17682214

id argue that there is intelligence in parroting, or at the very least an extreme drive.

people who say that all of schooling is just echo chamber and parroting are just trying to make themselves feel smarter. its 'OH THATS NOT REAL INTELLIGENCE, ANYONE CAN MEMORIZE SHIT EVEN THOUGH I HAVENT BOTHERED, REAL INTELLIGENCE IS BEING LIKE ME, AND BEING ABLE TO THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX'.

it creates an imaginary form of intelligence that you can't measure so that you dont have to prove you're smart. similar to
>im really smart, just lazy

you could argue that someone is more intelligent for knowing how to use an equation as opposed to just memorizing the equation itself. but if you're a straight A student in honor courses you're smart/intelligent enough in one way or another.

>>17682183

mostly yes. there are different kinds of intelligence, but the
>IM SMART IM JUST LAZY
is a meme 99% of the time. its something that parents / teachers tell certain students who aren't all that smart, perhaps average, just to try and convince them it'd be worth actually trying.

but if you were actually smart, you'd know not to be lazy when so much rides on it.
>>
>>17682360

Sorry, I wasn't very clear.

Have you ever taken a test, and after a week found yourself unable to recall what the test was about?

That's what I'm talking about. Cramming things into your mind to repeat them, but not working on them enough to actually learn shit.

I've worked with equations a lot (as I studied Chemistry) and I learned a lot while doing it, because they made me learn, use and understand the string of symbols I was writing down.

But a lot of the subjects where not like that. You were just meant to repeat, with no analysis, or thought.

It still happens to me in college. There are subjects where I can literally not recall a single thing we did. I still got a good grade in them, though.

There are others, even if I didn't do so well, where I learned stuff and feel like I actually improved.
>>
>>17682214
>Those tests are designed to show you can repeat like a parrot most of the time.

depends on the study. in many academic subjects, you get good grades for expressing critical thinking.
>>
>>17682378

Not my experience in high school or college. And I've heard similar things from others.

I know it's not something you can extrapolate like that, but this is a forum, not an academic paper. So I feel confident people won't read that and assume I'm the Ministry of Education of some country.
>>
>>17682372

again different forms of intelligence. you seem like you can easily understand a subject, you just dont hold on to it.

my brother and I were on opposite ends of that spectrum

>i barely pass math with a D every year for three years
>brother (in same class) tends to get a B or an A
>always brags about how much smarter he is then me (even though i was one year younger but in the same class as him, but thats beside the point)
>he graduates a year early and wants to go military, take the asvab
>he takes the practice test
>cannot figure out how to do any of the equations
>comes to me and asks for help
>i remember about 75% of the work and try to teach him

hes smart enough to understand a concept really easily when its presented to him, but he had no ability to retain

i struggled with it, but i was able to remember it years after the fact.

a good way to test your self is to... well, test yourself. think of a subject where you 'dont remember anything' and try to find practice tests online.

one thing the above scenario did for me was help me remember. if you asked me to pull up some random equation of algebra 2 id have no idea. but if you showed me an equation, i would remember and solve it.

>>17682378

shhhhh no reals just feels.

if you explain to him that those word problems in math class aren't just 'parroting' he'll have to realize he's not that smart
>>
>>17682392

Listen, any subject can be made challenging or not. I'm not saying math or language or anything in specific is "just parroting" or "the ultimate test of intelligence".

I'm talking about how "tests" are conducted. I've had subjects where the mathematical problems where something to think about, and others where they literally took the example from the book we did in class and that was it.
>>
>>17682414

except for how you said that highschools JUST an echo chamber, and that only a good college would 'maybe' be different, sure.
>>
Not any more. Universities have constantly been watering their material down to get more graduates so their numbers are higher and they can soak up more tuition money.

Most of my graduating class is fall-on-your-face stupid.
>>
>>17682434

Yeah, I was hyperbolic. You caught me.
>>
>>17682441

that's a pretty poor case of hyperbole anon. not a very intelligent use of it considering the context.
>>
Grades are
10% luck
20% social skills
15% motivation
5% connections
50% intelligence
>>
>>17682183
no, its knowledge
>>
Justify to whom?
>>
File: 1475983284896.jpg (50KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1475983284896.jpg
50KB, 600x600px
>>17682447
Could you be any more full of yourself?
90% of highschool IS just "memorize this", and probably 80% of most college courses are just "memorize this" until you get into upper levels.
Jesus.
>>
>>17682449
>50% intelligence
kek I guess parrots are the smartest species on the planet then.
>>
>>17682460

Don't correct him. He need to feel smarter than us and his brother.

Let him have this one Anon, I already left him alone.
>>
>>17682463
>parrots can do math
>parrots understand physics
>parrots know chemistry
>parrots can code
(etc)
>>
>>17682471

I guess someone doesn't handle "metaphors" well. Or is it a "simile"?

Public education isn't what it used to be, I guess.
>>
>>17682471
>parrots can do math
Stand next to a parrot and say out loud that 2+2=4.

>parrots can code
As you know, parrots don't have hands and therefore cannot effectively use a computer.
>>
>>17682463
>>17682476

Forgot to add this Anon too.
>>
>>17682476
lol the irony. I mean parrots as in the people who can't into logical connections, so they just memorize shit all day. They tend to have terrible grades in some subjects. Like math. And physics. etc.
>>
>>17682183
I think it more or less tells you what type of person someone is.
>>
>>17682463
Ow, cmon anon, you can't take that seriously. But if you want an actual response

No one (well, almost no one, I guess) is smart in every possible way. Different subjects require use of different parts of your brain (more or less), so you won't be as good in every subject. You can be really good at expressing yourself, but be terrible at math (bad with logic, mainly). You can be good at math but have a shitty memory. List goes on.
These things have a big impact on your grades, but even more important is the amount of effort you're willing to put into school. You can be a genius at math, but if you text Stacey during the class and never touch a book while outside school you won't do well in it.
>but fampai, smarter people will put more effort into school
Not necessarily. As I said, you can be smart in some ways and dumb in others. Being good at math doesn't mean you know how important planning for future is. That's wisdom, rather than intelligence anyways. And even more than that it's about how their parents educated them and how strict they are.

If I were to put it into percentages I'd say grades are 75% effort 25% intelligence (but that's obviously just a wild guess and extremely inaccurate) . At least in highschool, in college and over intelligence is more important. In highschool subjects are so easy that most idiots can get top grades if they put enough effort into it.
>>
>>17682183
ask an autist and you will know the answer
>>
>>17682183
>>17682201
It depends. As far as the district leadership, they don't care, and the principal only wanted to see good grades (I think so anyways, we had a different principal every year), not that there were principles who didn't care about students.

Some teachers thought students were just stupid -- they also taught regular level classes to white trash and colored people -- but the college level teachers that I had -- there were some who still sucked -- cared about what the students were doing/learning (they didn't care if the students didn't care). The college level teachers still didn't think a kid was smart just for being in the class though, because there were always a bunch of kids who ended up failing because they didn't work hard enough (they also couldn't leave the class because the school is over enrolled).
>>
File: twopaths.png (67KB, 480x1167px) Image search: [Google]
twopaths.png
67KB, 480x1167px
"Any fool can know the point is to understand" - Einstein
>>
>>17682194
Way to dumb it down. Some education actually requires problem solving and creative thinking.
>>
>>17682197
Character does not make up for work experience in the real world.

I work in a kitchen. If I had 1 spot open and had to chose between a good guy with no experience, and a shithead who has been cooking for a year I will take the shithead. I expect the shithead to swim on his 1st day when his station gets crushed.

Thankfully for the good guys out there turnover is 30% month to month and there is a shortage of people willing to work long hours in a hot kitchen for shit pay.
>>
>>17682183
no

i never studied for 80% of my school life, barely scraping by. until one year i failed and i had to repeat a year. i was then the top of my class.

i also know a guy who did relatively well in a course with me, but he was a complete idiot irl.
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.