[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

gf suffers from depression, what do

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

File: 1476314279603.jpg (36KB, 720x348px) Image search: [Google]
1476314279603.jpg
36KB, 720x348px
Hi /adv/.
I want to talk to people who suffer from depression or bipolar disorder. My gf has been diagnosed with the first and several symptoms point to the second so I need advice on how to handle this situation.
We've been together for more than 5 years and about a year ago she had told me that she wasn't feeling well, couldn't get out of bed in order to do stuff, wanted to stay there for a whole day, some time after she got diagnosed with major depressive disorder. The doctor prescribed some pills, but they hindered her performance in the university too much and had several drawbacks so she stopped taking them. Now she is saying that she is not ready to begin treatment, also we are pretty broke at the moment, so I'm trying to get a well-paid job to provide enough money for a good medical treatment.
We don't live together yet (going to move in the beginning of winter) so we mostly used social networks and phone to communicate, and now we barely speak even when we meet in person. She asks me to avoid physical contact, it makes her feel uncomfortable, so barely no kisses or groping or even holding her hand when we walk together. I'm dealing with that pretty damn bad - everything was so well and now it's all gone. Sometimes I try, for example, to take her hand, and in some of those occasion she reacts well while in other she pulls away and gets angry cause she thinks that I don't respect her requests. I try my best, but it is so hard to hold back when the person you love, you want to kiss and hug and fuck is withing the reach of a hand.
If you face or faced a similar situation, give me some information about how people with major depressive disorder feel, live, how you cope with that, anything that might be of assistance for me. I've tried talking to her about emotions she feels, dreams she sees, but she didn't want to talk to me about it - said that it would be hard for her to feel those thing once more.
Pic very related to how I feel.
>>
>>17681588

That sucks man, I know she is suffering in her own way but depression doesn't stop you from caring about your loved ones, she should understand how her behaviour is hard on you and really not fair. In my opinion staying together will only make things worse, perhaps she needs some time to herself to sort herself out, she is making you miserable and relying on you for support which is keeping her from actively bettering her life.

Depression isn't an excuse to treat others like shit, If I was her I would break up with you for YOUR benefit until I felt like I was worthy of being a partner for someone.
>>
>>17681605
Thank you for the support anon. She tried to break up a couple of times but I didn't let her go, felt that I should try to make her life better, be a person she can rely on, the guy who is always ready to help. Leaving her is a "last resort" option, I really want to try everything else before doing so.
Concerning your point about relying on my support and not improving her life - it would be easier for me if it would have been so. She is trying to improve her life, keep herself busy with education, she is taking part in several student organisations, but in all that action there is no time or place for me, and it hurts a lot. I hope things will become better after we move in together, at least we will see each other each day.
>>
>>17681623

Leaving her doesn't have to be permanent, sometimes you need to let people go so they can grow and change. You are not satisfied with how things are right now, and theres nothing you can do to fix her, she will have to do it herself. Don't let yourself be miserable by staying with her if she doesn't make you happy. Eventually you will get fed up and it could lead to cheating/massive fight etc. it's not worth it man.
>>
>>17681623

Part of having a partner is having them meet your needs and expectations, it doesn't sound like she does that for you and it's making you feel upset/unloved. It's up to you if you want to ride this through and be putting in so much effort into a relationship that doesn't give back as much.
>>
If you have plans to move in with your Girl i would guess that your willing to handle/tolerate all her Issues/Baggage..

My girlfriend suffers from Depression and she has been Drinking to help cope for years. most of the time we are together she is under the influence - Alcohol/Drugs - she tells me she needs Lots of alone time and her opinion of me changes very often. my intuition tells me that she totally Digs me and we have some good times that just feel Right.
My plan is to Keep things hot with my Girl as much as i can with the hope that things can be better. I doubt that anyone else out there has the perfect relationship. I could be very happy with my girl or the next one.

Do what you want man, and do not be hard on yourself.
Do not let anyone's advice Deter you from doing what will make you happy ..
>>
>>17681654

It's one thing to be there and help your partner through a tough times and another to be treated poorly because of it. You should want someone that makes you feel loved/wanted/sure of yourself and your relationship. It's obviously up to you to weigh up the pros and cons and if you can see yourself living like this for potentially the rest of your life, with children down the line etc. And the chopping and changing of opinion isn't a good sign, what if one day she wakes up and decides she doesn't want you in her life anymore? There doesn't appear to be much security in that, you're walking on eggshells and just hoping for the best.
>>
>>17681650
Thanks for the support anon, I know you are right, maybe I'm scared to leave her without support, I hope that the fact that I'm still with her somehow helps, or maybe I'm simply afraid to be alone.
>>17681653
I'll try to take this ride. I've been taking it for a bit more than a year now, it was pretty difficult so I've decided to seek some advice on how to be a good friend for a person in depression. This mongolian smoke signal exchange is pretty big, I think there is a couple of anons in similar situations.
>>17681654
Thanks a lot anon. My gf also sometimes resorts to drinking, I'm afraid that it might become an addiction, and alcohol is completely incompatible with drugs used to treat depression so I hope for the best. Not being hard on myself is perhaps the most difficult part - from time to time I think that it's my fault that I didn't recognise the problem when it only began to develop, during some other moments I contemplate why it has happened to me and her and not some other couple. Maybe when I begin working full time it will get easier, for now I'm stuck at home listening to piano and browsing internet.
>>
>>17681686
You are Totally Right. I Do want to feel Loved/wanted/sure of myself. I am not the guy to throw this out the window yet but i could be... or she could just Dump me again and i wont have to worry about it.
>>
>>17681689
The way that Depression can Creep in, I would not expect many people to recognize the problem until it gets out of hand. best of luck with it all Bro'
>>
File: 1463093981571.jpg (101KB, 600x390px) Image search: [Google]
1463093981571.jpg
101KB, 600x390px
>>17681732
Thanks mate, I appreciate it.
>>
>>17681588
What about her parents? What they are doing to help her?
>>
>>17681773
Nothing, they don't believe that depression is a mental disorder so they basically think that she is an introvert who tends to make up problems and it is the root of all evil.
>>
File: 928365.gif (372KB, 477x500px) Image search: [Google]
928365.gif
372KB, 477x500px
>>17681779
The family was suppose to help in the first place, instead they don't give a shit. This is trully the end of times.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.