[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do I always regret every purchases I make?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: 1476394108395.jpg (95KB, 653x490px) Image search: [Google]
1476394108395.jpg
95KB, 653x490px
I am 23m and I purchase stuff and then later on, regret it. I bought a cool sports car because I always wanted to race but I barely use it anymore and nobody has never given me more attention with it. I bought a race bicycle and all the stuff that comes with it (3500$+) in order to be in better shape and join a cool cycling club but I never use it because there is a lot of bicycle theft, it's getting cold and not that versatile. I bought a gun and some ammo because it's cool but it's very expensive and maintenance is a bitch. I signed up for olympic weightlifting classes because I need power at my job but again, expensive, not feeling that I am learning anything at all.

I ALWAYS come to regret my purchases. I initially think I will enjoy it and do it for me but it always comes back as regret.

Why is that? Why can't I just be hally with what I do/buy?
>>
It's because you're a fuckwit who buys things on impulse and for dumb-as-shit reasons.
>>
>>17676141
Yeah I have a problem with impulse buying. I often see people doing cool stuff and I want to emulate, to be part of the cool crowd too. I guess once born a loser, always a loser? What can I do about it?
>>
>>17676131
You may be addicted to the rush of buying stuff. You imagine that this next purchase is going to make your life so great.
Well, buying expensive things for a hobby that you're a begginer at is doomed to ruin the experience for you.
Here's my life: I like playing the guitar and driving cars. My guitar is a cheap, hand-me-down 6 string acoustic guitar, and the only thing I've bought for it is a capo and a few sets of strings. That's it. Buying some expensive electric guitar isn't going to make me Eddie Vanhalen. It will just make me be a guy playing Wonderwall on a guitar that Eddie Vanhalen would play. I don't feel pressured into playing because I paid $5000 on equipment. I spent less than $100 on the hobby and play for fun.
And as for cars, I bought a classic car. It's fun to drive and requires learning about cars to work on it. I'm not worried about the depreciating value of the car, getting into an accident, or parking it. It costed me $1000 and everytime I go somewhere with it, it turns heads and people ask me about it. You don't get that with a brand new Porsche or a Corvette. And I know I'm having more fun with my car than those 40+ year old men who spent $100k+ on a convertable that they drive maybe 10 times a year.
As for spending a lot of money, I think about a purchase for at least a month, and rarely buy stupid shit I'm not going to end up using.
Don't take my anecdote as telling you not to spend money on your hobbies, but don't think spending a ton of money on a hobby is going to make you good at it or make you enjoy it.
>>
>>17676210
Ok I understand. The only hobby that I always dreamed about was racing. From karts to rally cars, anything fast but at least, I am rational enough to know that this is a futile adventure. Seriously though, should I go full jew-mode and start hoarding money just to get richer?
>>
>>17676131
you may think >>17676210 is who you want to be and try to achieve it with buying expensive eye catchers, but >>17676210 is doing the same as you but just more efficient. as you see he talked mostly about himself and continues to pat himself on the back. you might say he is an egoist, but a true egoist wouldn't boast about these things on an anonymous imageboard. Just like you he wants attention and turning heads. Don't feel bad though, nearly every "civilized" person does this to a certain extent, and it's not your fault.
Our society is focused on efficient production, because shareholders want maximized profits which in turn make companies work inhumanly efficient. Because of this, most working people can't do what they truly love to do, since the job marked is oversaturated, and thus their "drive" that keeps them going on isn't fed by their fulfillment of their dream. In order to feel "good" and keep up with society they start to compensate it with other things, which are hobby's, which isn't a bad thing at all. However, when a person doesn't have these things to really care about and to feel connected to, he still needs his fix. This is where the (in my eyes) biggest social problem comes into the picture. Whenever someone envies you, or whenever someone admires you, or whenever someone does or say something to you that makes you think you are worth something, you feel good. You can deny it, but 99,9% of these people start to feel good. This may seem harmless at first, but it creates a false personality. By really thinking you are worth something because others think or say so, you let them create you. You throw away your own identity so you can be accepted by others. You may think that you are stable, and you may think you are doing good, but ANYONE who changes his own actions based on fear of other's opinions or fear of being rejected, has this problem. You can imagine those are a lot of people, just like I said.
cont..
>>
>>17676290
However, the people who realize their dreams and don't fear repercussion by others, actually create their own personality, and are the only people with self-respect. Now, to change your whole life because you don't want to be controlled by others is really hard, because there is a sort of paradox. You want to feel truly happy, and there is only one way to do that. There is however the trap where you change your whole self because you are scared others might find you spineless or without self-respect. This type of change is basically another same form of the aforementioned case, and you would still care much about other people's opinion.

There is only one way to achieve self-respect, and that is to never let anyone change your intentions. This may seem crazy as people with bad ideas are glorified by that logic, but how bad those ideas may be, they are their own and they wouldn't be happy if they couldn't achieve it, but for the sake of our safety they have to be stopped.
Back on track, if you want to be happy and not feel judged by other's opinion, follow your own way. even if you can't achieve your dreams to the fullest, you can still take up your interests and realize them to a lesser extent, as in hobby's. the moment you can please yourself by fulfilling your ideas is the turning point in your life, and you'll see that you'll never need anyone's validation. That feeling is the greatest ever, and that feeling, that drive is what inspired famous people to achieve their great work.
and I'm not talking about celebrity's, because most of them have the lowest self-respect of all people, which they try and compensate with expensive cars and jewelry and likes on social media.
>>
What the fuck you rich American fuck REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>can't afford a race car because they're very expensive
>can't possess a gun
>>
File: IMG_1457.png (222KB, 446x689px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1457.png
222KB, 446x689px
>>17676290
>>17676307
>mfw this isn't a copy pasta
And a tip of the fedora to you too.
>>
>>17676226
Have you ever entered yourself into a rally race? I remember seeing a Top Gear episode where they explained you can enter an amatuer rally cross race for less than a round of golf.
>>17676290
While I agree with you that I enjoy the attention and I was patting myself on the back, I really don't think I'm doing the same thing as OP. It's not like I spent money on some hobby I never ended up getting into. Like when I bought my car, I had to learn to work on it, and ended up having fun learning with a community of people. OP just bought a sports car, and only ended up driving it occassionally, and likely didn't even end up changing the oil, let alone learn anything from the perspective of a racecar driver.
But it's really not all about the attention you get from a hobby, it's about the challenge, the community the fun associated with the challenge.
>>
>>17676131
>Sell the sports car
>Sell the bike
>Buy some average daily driver
>Live happily ever after
Not every purchase goes to plan. Also do research on pros and cons and think how you see fit in 5 years time
>>
>>17676362
Yeah but you have to bring your own car and mine is too expensive and don't feel like damaging it

>>17676290
>>17676307
So...just be yourself?
>>
>>17676604
You'd also have to make safety modifcations. You could just sell your car, buy a practical daily driver and a seperate rally car.
>>
>>17676701
Sometimes, I feel like hobbies are just a waste of money and grown men actually use their money to make more money. I have to get rid of this mentality because it is plaguing every purchase I make. Like, I could use this money for investing or for the children...
>>
>>17676717
Well, most grown men raise families which sucks up all their free time and disposible income. So you could do that.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.