[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hi guys. I was wondering about whether or not I can get into

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 1

File: Stanford.jpg (9KB, 300x225px) Image search: [Google]
Stanford.jpg
9KB, 300x225px
Hi guys. I was wondering about whether or not I can get into Stanford, and if any of you have advice pertaining to that.

>been taking college classes since freshman year

>~98.45 weighted GPA

>borderline of top ten percent of class, definitely top 15%

>recommenders seem to like me a lot

>involved in many clubs, president of one

>did sports (Cross Country grades 10-12, manager in 12th grade; Indoor Track grades 9,10, and planning on 12; Outdoor Track grades 9-11 and planning on 12, Section 9 Class C Pole Vault Champion grade 9)

>ran a science fair (done as my Girl Scout Gold Award project, which is pending final approval for me to get the actual award) (essay is written on this)

>applying Early Decision

I think most of my application is pretty good, but my grades and class rank aren't the absolute highest they could be.

Do any of you have advice to get into Stanford? Do any of you go there currently, and if so, how do you like it?
>>
>>17673712
Probably have a good shot, but don't you have a college admissions office at your school? Or a counselor or something?

A lot of that stuff is political, negotiations and relationships between "feeder" schools and elite colleges.
>>
what's your unweighted GPA?

your essay is shit have you already hit send?
i mean its POSSIBLE it's okay. actually can you post your essay so i can just tell you if it's shit

source: im going to harvard med
>>
>>17673729
oh shut up just because you watched some friggin movie about admissions doesnt mean you know what you're talking about.
>>
>>17673729
I do have a counselor, but she's the type who might not be entirely honest with me. I want the harshness of 4chan so that I can be sure I'll appeal to anyone.
>>
>>17673733
I have no idea what it is unweighted because I have so many weighted college courses in my transcript. I'll post the essay but I'll have to probably delete it later so that they won't look it up and think that I'm cheating off of myself.
>>
>>17673733
Science, though important, is often considered boring. Many believe it should be confined to classrooms or workplaces and not be explored for personal fulfillment. They feel that science tears them away from the beauty of nature… such is the central idea in the famous Walt Whitman poem "The Learn'd Astronomer." The poem describes a student attending a lecture by an astronomer. "Tired and sick" of the astronomer's "chart and diagrams," he leaves to "look in perfect silence at the stars."
The central idea of this poem is problematic. Like Whitman, so many people seem to believe that scientific discourse makes you forget the beauty of nature. Science to me is quite to the contrary; in my experience, studies of nature can help one feel closer to the universe by truly understanding it.
To help challenge the belief that science should be confined to the classroom setting and that it could not be wondrous in and of itself, I set up a science fair in my high school. In order to run the fair, I made an outline of how I wanted to advertise and run it and submitted the outline to my school administration. The Principal was reluctant to give me approval, and made sure I knew his reputation was on the line, but he allowed me to go forward nonetheless. Like Whitman, he seemed to have a lack of enthusiasm for applying science outside of the classroom. I then asked the librarian if I could use the library to host the fair; she assented.
>>
>>17673733
>>17673761
I then made posters for and advertised to classes about the science fair I was going to hold. I had people sign up via the posters and email me their project ideas. During this process, I realized I had to do some rescheduling as conflicts arose or interest was lost for many of the potential participants. There was also a large decrease in enthusiasm for the fair from the kids who raised their hands to participate in class. They wanted to do science when they thought about it during class time but did not want to take time out of their personal lives to dedicate to learning about it. After reformulating, I advertised to more classes with the help of my former Chemistry teacher.
Once I was done advertising again, I made snacks for the coming day of the fair. That day came quickly. I set out the snacks and got out of class early to rearrange chairs and tables in the library. I sat back after my 65 hours of planning and advertising as roughly 25 people filled in, set up their projects, and smiled with pride. As they each presented their projects, I could tell how much they had learned. One group did research and an experiment on the school's water supply, and found that the water did not meet up to regulation standards. Another group made a video on an experiment that they made to test metal plating using batteries and were able to plate coins.
>>
>>17673766
>>17673733
When the science fair drew to a close, the formerly reluctant Principal let me know that he was surprised at how well it turned out. The administration was pleased and let me know that I would be welcome to run another science fair next year.
I feel that I was successful in showing that science was fit for personal fulfillment and exploring the outside world. Based on their enjoyment of their own and others’ projects exploring nature with science, the participants would agree with me that numbers and figures about nature are not bland, and that those can be helpful to increase their wonder at nature herself. Ihelped to change the long-standing view demonstrated in Whitman’s poem that science is not suitable for personal enjoyment. Because of the success I had, I absolutely would do it again and plan to do that later this year.
>>
>>17673761
>>17673766
>>17673770
Not the Harvard Med guy. But it seems your entire essay is hinged on on one event. You should also touch base, but don't go in depth on what you did in sports, leadership, probably how you like meeting new people because you love the environment of diversity and spontaneity.
>>
>>17673780
Thanks for the advice, but how would I do that? I jam-packed the word requirement (exactly the max at 650 words).
>>
What's the point in going to Stanford for an undergrad education?
>>
>>17673712
so you mean 98.45%? because GPA usually only goes up to 4.
>>
>>17673802
It's the number one school in the country. I'll be upset if I don't get in since I worked very hard. I won't throw a fit though, since there are other good safety schools I'm applying to which are much cheaper.

>>17673806
My school doesn't use the 4.0 system, but I think my GPA is a 4.0 based on the conversion.
>>
>>17673761
>>17673766
>>17673770
take the below advice if you INSIST on using this aids-riddled topic

your composition is sort of good. you imitate a particular writing style, but not proficiently. it's chunky and conceptually disjointed. your transitions aren't smooth. the bit about the poem is ill-advised to keep in; it makes it seem like you totally missed the point of the poem to begin with. and when you present this idea that 'some people' have it seems juvenile and also very unrealistic- a black and white scenario- an opinion that "some people" have that you dreamed up to fit your essay. it's weak.

the part about
>The Principal was reluctant to give me approval, and made sure I knew his reputation was on the line, but he allowed me to go forward nonetheless.
is hugely unprofessional of you- i should not have to explain why
>They wanted to do science when they thought about it during class time but did not want to take time out of their personal lives to dedicate to learning about it
this sounds extremely childish and you should avoid insulting ANYONE in ANY WAY in your essay

while you do a fine job of following the typical 5 paragraph essay format, wherein you have a 'hook', body, and conclusion, the result is infantile and trite. it's a translucent brag disguised under a thin film of 'passion'; and if it's not, that's how it will come across regardless. the step-by step description of the good job you did is boring and pedestrian. you need to pick a new topic and AVOID that cookie-cutter format like the plague unless you want the reader to go 'oh this is the same thing i've been reading all evening' and put your application in the pile to the left. there is no way in hell you are going to Stanford with this essay. they dont want to hear about what a good boy you are. they want to hear about WHO you are, WHAT you are, how you've grown. be inspiring. be excellent. dont cling to this small accomplishment.

>>17673780
harvard med woman
>>
>>17673820

You probably have a good shot. What's your major/intended career?
>>
>>17673826

>Harvard med woman
>4chan

Calling bullshit. Going to need a timestamped letter of acceptance and tits.
>>
>>17673826

>your transitions aren't smooth.

I used to have better ones, but had to remove them in order to meet the word requirement.
>is hugely unprofessional of you- i should not have to explain why

No one has told me this yet in reviewing my essay. How is it unprofessional of me to explain exactly what happened? It further shows how I changed others' opinions on a subject as that prompt asked me to.

>this sounds extremely childish and you should avoid insulting ANYONE in ANY WAY in your essay

How is this insulting though?

>there is no way in hell you are going to Stanford with this essay. they dont want to hear about what a good boy you are.

Okay, okay. I'll reformulate and write more on how the experience helped me grow as a person and attach the essay to a different prompt. I've still got a couple of weeks before I need to get my application in anyway.

>Harvard med woman

Applications aren't even due yet, so how do you know you're going there?
>>
>>17673831

I want to go into one of these three, in order of priority:

1. Theoretical physics
2. Biomedical engineering
3. Computer science
>>
>>17673864

Why?
>>
General advise for resumes, essays, and what have you, never speak negatively of any organization or people you were associated with.

Also, if you want physics in california, why aren't you applying to caltech?
>>
>>17673852
it's unprofessional because you are never supposed to speak poorly of anyone in a professional environment. a stanford app is about as professional as it gets, and you need to exhibit exemplary social judgement- that means not making even remotely disparaging remarks about your school's principle and the kids who backed out of the science fair. changing someone's mind is no great accomplishment. that portion of the essay makes you sound like an ass.

i know i'm going because i'm in my third year.

im turning in for the evening; best of luck on your essay. apply to at least nine safety schools, as well as another ten top schools. you never know which admissions officer will click 'accept' after they've had a bottle of wine, and you may seem more promising in the interview.

>>17673867
because he wants to have a JOB after graduating
>>
>>17673905

>Falling for the STEM=guaranteed job meme

I have lost count of how many engineering, comp sci, bio, physics and chem graduates I have met who are unemployed.
>>
>>17673820
Is it the number one school in the country for undergraduate education, though?
What will you be getting out of going to Stanford other than being able to impress people with your Stanford sweater, impress the interviewer at the first job you get with your resume, and impress your family and friends with your acceptance letter?
Of all the things that make Stanford the best in the country, how much do you have access to during your undergrad education and how much of it can help you?
>>
>>17673867
I don't know. Those are what I'm naturally into.

>>17673875
I am. It's just not my first choice.
>>
>>17673905

You are not in Harvard med, nor are you a woman.
>>
>>17673905

>it's unprofessional because you are never supposed to speak poorly of anyone in a professional environment.

I didn't even realize that it sounded like I was hating on them. I have Asperger's, so I sometimes can't tell.

>i know i'm going because i'm in my third year.

Ahh ok. English can be ambiguous with the whole "going to" thing.
>>
>>17673908

>Is it the number one school in the country for undergraduate education, though?

Yes.

>impress the interviewer at the first job you get with your resume

If you don't think this is important, idk what to tell you.

>Of all the things that make Stanford the best in the country, how much do you have access to during your undergrad education and how much of it can help you?

It has a good name to impress employers with. It's expensive, but the idea is to make even more money than is needed to make up for that with all of the great job offers.
>>
>>17673936
Pretty bad logic but OK.
Not sure what "job" you plan to get with a bachelor's in physics either.
But lots of luck to you. Not like you're wasting my money.
>>
>>17673953
I'm peobably not going to get into Stanford, so when I get into a medium-tier school I'll probably double major (so I can do what I'm passionate about and also a more career-oriented major).
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.