[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Finding faith in humanity

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_0656.jpg (50KB, 500x313px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0656.jpg
50KB, 500x313px
After reading so much about corporate corruption, war, resource depletion and population growth, I've steadily lost my faith in humanity. After all we've done to ourselves, do we really even deserve to keep living?

The worst part of this is that I know there must be something about the future that I can keep going for. What keeps you guys going in spite of it all?
>>
>>17673527
knowing that most of the world is not like 4chan
>>
Really only two things keep me going throughout my life: My family and music (the universal language)
>>
>>17673527
I think about how far humanity has come in solving its problems. How we've really beaten back famine, disease, widespread warfare, etc. Granted those things still happen, they touch far fewer peoples' lives than they did a hundred years ago.

Even though the world can be horrible and cruel, it has good things in it that weren't there before. And those good things were made, deliberately, by people who felt compelled to make the world a better place, for their children and fellow men alike.

I guess at some point I just realized I'd rather be one of those people than a "people suck maaaannn" cynical asshole.
>>
When you see shitty things, look for the people who are doing good. The firefighters charging in to save lives. The volunteers taking care of people who can't take care of themselves. The people who donate money and time and resources after a natural disaster. The people working to develop medicinal cures and explore space and create beauty and help others.

You can choose to look at the evil in the world, or you can choose to look for the beauty. You can even actively work to better yourself and the people/places/things around you, and become one of those people making a difference.
>>
>war
Humanity as a whole is less violent now than at any time prior to this. The past century, and yes, that's including both world wars, has seen *proportionally* less violence than any century in history or prehistory, despite the number of absolute deaths being much higher. We've come a very long way.

>corporate corruption
America isn't the world.

>resource depletion and population growth
Unchecked population growth is a serious concern but it is leveling off in many parts of the world. The world population more than doubled in the past 50 years, but fortunately it's very unlikely to ever double again. The damage we're doing to our planet even now, to say nothing of when we have a couple more billion people, is a serious problem, but not an unsolvable one. Maybe that'd be a good field for you to go into?

Really, the progress we've made in almost very area since, say, the 16th century, is absolutely immense. Yes, there's a lot of bad stuff that we've done and that we're still doing, but if you look at the whole picture and just see the bad stuff, that says more about your lack of perspective than the world.
>>
>>17673527
>do we really even deserve to keep living?
Well, who is supposed to decide that?

Besides, if you compare to where we were, humanity is clearly improving.

>What keeps you guys going in spite of it all?
The goal to slightly improve it all of course.
>>
File: vus7E8G.png (363KB, 303x500px) Image search: [Google]
vus7E8G.png
363KB, 303x500px
>>17673527
What keeps me going despite all that stuff is this: that I don't truly know anything, and neither does anyone else. Don't get me wrong, everyone thinks they know something. Everyone will explain the world for you, according to them. But all you can really rely upon is your own direct experience of events.

In my opinion, no human actually has much of a clue what reality is, what happens after death, what this is all about, whether man is good, etc. People will pitch a fit about this and hurl all sorts of shit at you about what they think. But no one really knows. Any that's a good thing.

Try on different worldviews. Try on extremely radical ideas and see how they work. Here's one, no I don't claim it's true, it's just an example:

What if nature decided to evolve intelligent primates for a specific purpose? As in the planet itself, a super organism, said, we need to deputize an organism to extrude a technological infrastructure that will eventually carry life into space. Because hell, if the sun dies, which it will, we don't want to lose 4 billion years of evolutionary progress. We'll give the primates enough brainpower to erect an artificial nervous system across the entire planet, to collect and categorize every plant, animal and mineral known, and then preserve all of that evolutionary complexity by taking it into space and towards other worlds.

Again, I'm not saying that's the truth. Here's another one: What if we finally convinced ourselves to halt all industry, pollution, weaponizing, etc., and devote ourselves to complete reclamation of the forests and the oceans. Sounds like a noble idea, right? So we do that and then what's that on the horizon? Oh shit. An asteroid the size of Missouri is hurtling towards the earth at Mach 10. Where are all the thermonuclear warheads? Oh right, we threw them away and saved the rainforests. Oopsie.

Again, I don't actually advocate this belief, only that we have no clue.
>>
>>17673527
There's always something beyond of my control. People can do shit all the time, but then I have myself. I can start and control my life to be as human as possible.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.