[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

New job is giving me a sick feeling.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

I need some advice: I'm 27 years old and I started a new job last week, one I was happy to get and is actually in my field, but now that I have been here two weeks I'm fixing computers in schools, 2 schools a day during the week, I have had this sick feeling in my stomach for about a week now. This feeling that tells me something is not right with this job and its fit for me.

I make decent money, the job comes with insurance/disability and a pension and all that good stuff but I have been told If I want to succeed in this job I will have to do overtime work unpaid at home due to the amount of work load at times. I can't do that because I need to have a work/personal life balance.

I found myself sitting here on Friday night to be exact, doing work for five hours since I came home and I just can't do it, I just can't. I just want to go to work do my work at work, do a good job and clock out at the end of the day.

If I do work at home I am going to end up working on some things that I can't reasonably finish in one night and what's going to happen is I am going to stay up way to late trying to finish it and I'm not going to get enough sleep and I'm going wake up very tired not wanting to go to work and end going to work tired with dark bags under my eyes like I always do.

I have had a number of jobs but none lasting more than a year and my last lasted 8 months.

I'm keeping this job for now, I just don't know how to tell my parents it may not be for me and that I want to keep applying for jobs in my field without them thinking I'm lazy or don't know how good I got it (they asked me if I knew I had it good) considering it took them years to make the money I'm making. I want to work in an OFFICE somewhere doing IT

I don't want to have to store parts and supplies in my car and don't want to have to do work at home and I'm worried that I'm going to fail this job like the others.

I can't live with this sick feeling.

Anybody have any thoughts or opinions.
>>
Unpaid work at home is the worst. I'm a teacher, and I fucking hate doing work at home. I will stay at work until 8 pm grading papers if it means I don't have to bring it back with me.

Having a work/life balance is a totally reasonable expectation, but for someone reason it seems that people who want it get labeled lazy millenials. Fuck that noise.

That being said, though, I don't know what the job market is like in your field and your area. If the choice is between unpaid overtime and no job, well, that isn't much of a choice at all, is it.

Is it possible that as you settle into your job, you'll be able to do it more quickly, thus reducing the overtime? Cause the job sounds ok otherwise.

Whatever happens, good luck anon.
>>
First, you should see if you get paid OT for going over 40 hours per week. You should also talk with your boss, HR, and co-workers about trying to streamline work, or make sure the workload isn't such that you have to take it home with you.

Doing *some* work at home is OK. But not huge amounts. Not unless perks,pay or something makes up for it. If possible negotiate for something to make you keep the position.

And as for storing gear in your car? If I were your company, I'd try to avoid having employees transport stuff in their vehicles. Seems like a loss and liability issue waiting to happen.
>>
You're not a baby, you don't have to tell your parents.

But also you can't quit your job if you don't already have another job to go to tomorrow. So keep working this job untill you find another job. And quit your job when you can go to your other job tomorrow .
>>
>>17672760
This, definitely talk to someone at the company about it, that is what HR is for. I'm sure they would be open to negotiation.
>>
OP here,

I live with family, so I will have to tell them them at some point especially if I get another job. I'm living with my brother because he lives closer to the city and i also pay rent to live here. but i am going to work at this job until i find another, regardless of what anybody says.
>>
Op here again,
Negotiation wont get me far, it will just make me look lazy, this IT department is underfunded and very understaffed. I'm sure talking to HR would do me no good.
>>
Hey I work full time at a PC repair store in SA TX. It depends on what town you're at, if there are other places to work in IT then go ahead and look for another job. Don't leave yet, and don't give out any hints. Just apply with the experience at your current place and see where it takes you. If you're lucky enough to get an interview just let them know about your situation and see if they will take you. If you find a new job that you think will value you more as a person then go ahead and take it. After being in tech startups and working lvl 1 tech support jobs I learned nothing else matters more than an employer actually caring about you, rather than just promising to throw money at you. Follow your heart and you'll find happiness. Dont drop out of the job immediately though, take at least 6months of experience so you can put it on your resume. IT is very competitive so keep studying and do your best. Good luck anon
>>
>>17672797
Oh also if you're still in high school don't underestimate the power of workshops there if they offer free career building stations like practice interviews or resume builders take as many as you can. A good interview will get you any entry job you want (granted the interviewer isn't retarded). It may be hard or cringey taking fake interviews, but they are designed that way so you don't look like a dumbass in the real one. And the resume builders will make sure yours doesn't look like shit, IT bosses take those very seriously along with any experience you put on it. Make sure you mesmerize your OSI model even though you won't use it, and try to get your A+ or net+ certs if you can.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.