[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is trade school a meme?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: constructionworkerpepe.jpg (42KB, 509x499px) Image search: [Google]
constructionworkerpepe.jpg
42KB, 509x499px
I'm struggling to decide if I want to go to community college and transfer to uni or go to trade school.

>I have a 2.4 gpa senior year probably go up to a 2.8 since senior year is pretty easy but been slacking

>lack of social skills

>only thing I could think in majoring is computer science

>Don't think I would make it in college but I don't know if I want to be doing back breaking labor labor all my life.

>The only thing I could think in majoring is computer science
>>
>>17670798
Why would trade school be a meme?
>>
>>17670891
Im just asking if its a good thing to get into instead of college I just don't know if I could handle the back breaking work
>>
I've been in Computer Science. Failed it hard. Just got so depressed sitting there trying to finish coding assignments and knowing how I would never figure out such algorithm, etc. I now do IT/Networking at a college going for a 2 year diploma (+ 1 more year co-op work term hopefully). I couldn't do it OP, but you could try Computer Science. Otherwise I think community college then Uni for some degree would be best
>>
>>17670798

Trade school isn't bad at all. I know welders and operators can make 6 figures if you work a lot of hours. It really depends on which one you go for. But you can always go back to college if whatever trade you do doesn't work out. I'm getting a mechanical engineering degree right now and a guy I study with is almost 30 (I'm 20). So don't feel like whatever you choose you will be stuck with forever.

Also if you want to get a degree in something like computer science you need to study with people because you'll never be able to figure everything out on your own(unless you're a super genius). So I would work on your social skills if I were you.
>>
what is start earlier?
>>
>>17670906
>Im just asking if its a good thing to get into instead of college

Well, do you like hands on work? Do you want real world experience asap? Do you not mind manual labor? Are you struggling to pay off for college?

Trades are good alternative to college, and you can make a good amount of money, especially is you decide to start a business

And the labor sucks, but if you're young, you won't really feel the effects at first.

The typical process is that you work your ass off when you're young, and make apprentices or helpers do work for you as you age and gain exp. It will be hard on your body. Just use PPE and proper form
>>
My GPA was around the same range when I was in high school. I went to community college and transferred and got a degree in IT management in the business college.

I was always good with computers but I wasn't cut out for computer science. I didn't have the discipline in the early courses to hang in.

Now I do IT security shit for around 60k. Work a fuckload, and it's draining. There are definitely better positions though where you sit around and no one expects anything from anyone. Too mind-numbingly boring for my blood.

I'm great at my job but to be honest I enjoy working with my hands and completing clear goals with obvious results from my labor. You spend so much time in IT just trying to figure out what it is you would even do if you had the people and time, which you don't, and it sucks balls sometimes.

I already made my decision and have all sorts of opportunities, but I think I could have excelled at a trade as well and made a shitload of money. I have a friend who makes six figures doing granite counter tops 2 or 3 times a week.

Either way, perseverance and grit will get you far in either field. A lack of either will hold you back. Be in the top 20% of performers or any job will just suck worst. Usually that just takes willpower. You don't have to be the smartest or best. You just have to want to do a good job.
>>
Go big or go home.

Uni or nothing OP
>>
>>17670798
If you live in canada, trade school is a joke.

I worked for some plumbers and electricians and they said when they heard someone took a foundations course it was an instant "no". They only hire 100% fresh guys so that they can
>>
>>17670798
Well it definitely makes sense to be confused about this at this point in your life - just know that that's totally fine.

You'll probably be better off finding a job more quickly with a trade, especially something in high demand in growing cities, things like HVAC, electrical work, plumbing - you'll be able to find something pretty quickly.

You're also going to be going to school to learn things that DIRECTLY PERTAIN to what you want to do for work - you won't be taking psychology courses, or a language. For me, this is a huge plus, I don't know about you though.

Just remember that everything is what you make of it.
>>
>>17670798
In the states it's just as much of a joke as a general degree from a community college. You'd be better off finding an entry level job in a field you're interested in and spending a year or so in a position then jumping to another company until you're making decent money. It's the same thing you'll get with a trade school without having to pay the entry fees. The "guaranteed jobs" are the same as shitty computer institutes that either drop that at the end of your "degree" course or just shuffle you into some company run by an immigrant who pays you like US business owners pay Mexicans and you won't move up or get better pay basically ever.
>>
Colleges are scams

Trades don't have to be just manual labor, they can be for anything. If you want real experience then go to trade school and actually learn something. Not liberal shit head university. Or go to community college, youll learn shit there as well.
>>
>>17671029
Honestly being a trade worker sounds cool where you're from, in Malaysia they're not treated well since most of the workers here are foreign.
>>
OP, being successful at trades depends on a lot of factors.

One, are you OK with unions? A lot of trades are unionized and in order to join, you need to put up with union bullshit. Then again, with the decline of unions in the US, this wouldn't be that big of a deal.

Two, can you get an apprenticeship or are apprenticeships in your area on a need to know basis?

Three, are you OK with your body breaking down as you get older? My dad works a trade and he is so beat up at his age that he's on painkillers all the time.

The trades are a valid alternative to college, and you can make more than most college graduates if you play your cards right, but you need to figure out if it's the right choice for you.
>>
here in the states trade work only pays around 21 bucks an hour. here in my state in arizona its only 21.23 usd.

if you plan on doing this to save for an actual career. then its totally fine to take a trade for 2 years or less and save for a real degree.

any trade that needs 4 years of trade school is a waste of time and you would be better off getting a degree in any engineering.

before you ask since i know you will. Is engineering a meme? yes it is, its easy and other stem majors will tease you. but at the end of the day youll be making around 30 an hour with an engineering degree.

if youre not a brainlet you can have you hands at chemical engineering. despite the name its the best of both worlds. chemistry and engineering. right now im in an internship being paid 30 an hour. and this is only 2 years into my university life
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.