[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Kitten adoption

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: 1468515798559.gif (510KB, 499x279px) Image search: [Google]
1468515798559.gif
510KB, 499x279px
I'm thinking about adopting a kitten. The person trying to get me to take him said it was a stray that they found outside, followed him right to his door and tried to climb his leg. Apparently he's been raising cats for a while, says it's in good health and is already litter trained.

I'm legitimately thinking of taking it. I've never raised a cat before, but I'm really tired of being alone. I'm not stupid, I'm aware it's a responsibility, but I'm afraid I'm letting my loneliness cloud my judgement.

They said that worse case scenario if it doesn't work out they'd take the kitten back. I can afford the cat and basic vet bills, as long as there isn't something horribly wrong with it. I don't know what to do. I really want to take it.
>>
>>17670697
cats are about the easiest pets to own. Once they're trained to shit outside all you need to do is feed it and desex it and cuddle it.
>>
>>17670697
If you're that lonely get a dog.

Not because cats are terrible or anything.
But dogs are excellent animal companion s. They're a bit harder to deal with, but the bond is built and your dog will love you. Dogs are also attract girls (or guys) on walks.

"Awe your dog is so cute"
Then mac your way to that number.

If you live in apartment just get the cat I guess. Unless you don't mind taking your dog out for more walks.

Either way OP. Make sure you're actually up to the task of taking in another livig creature that depends on you for food and comfort. It's pretty easy, but it also cost money. Food, shots, lisences, health, toys, treats. Don't stress out about it.

Also, make sure you actuslly like the animal and aren't making an impulse decision.
>>
>>17670703
I live in an apartment, so it would probably use a litterbox rather than wandering around outside.

>>17670713
See above on the apartment bit. A dog is too much work for me to maintain, as far as I can tell they require a lot more love and devotion. I'm just looking for something to share the time I spend in my apartment with.

I'm not really interested in women at this point, so it's not much of a selling point anymore. I'm 27, I'm from /r9k/, that ship has sailed.

I'm not sure if it's an impulse decision, a rational one, or a fantasy. I'm pretty shit at taking care of myself, so I'm not sure how well taking care of an animal would be. I want to try, but I would feel like once I had it, it was here to stay. I wouldn't want to turn it out once it got older or if it became too much work, so I'm trying to consider it carefully.
>>
>>17670697
Pros of cats:
>can leave them alone all day if necessary, even for two days with enough food/water
>if cat is lonely, get him a second cat. Cat no longer lonely
>cat are quieter than dogs (can still be kind of noisy)
>cats destroy stuff less than dogs (can still kind of destroy stuff)
>letterbox training
>lowkey, quiet cuddle buddy who can be chill

Cons of cats
>litterbox smell
>if the cat is unhappy, it is noisy and bite
>kittens' personalities change rapidly as they age
>cats and especially kittens will tear up your carpet and leather
>sometimes, you really want a cuddle, and your cat will sense this and hide from you

Conclusion:
>see if you can "rent-a-cat" from this friend
>if you get a cat, get an adult cat. Less surprises in terms of personality, same amount of cuddle.
>For the love of god, do not get a poodle.
>>
>>17670816

>litterbox smell

Is there any way to deal with this? I live in a pretty small apartment, and I've held onto a cat for a work aquantance for a week - the smell wasn't great, and I didn't have a good way to deal with it. 90% of the apartment is carpet, so it has to be in my kitchen which is the only part with wood paneling.

I never really looked into fancy litterboxes, as I was just keeping him temporarily back then.

>personality change

Have you seen this a lot with cats? From everything I've been told, it's the friendliest kitten in the world, and wants to spend a lot of time cuddling with you. I'm aware he's probably upselling the cat a bit, but I'm not sure how frequent this kind of change is.

The rest isn't too bad. I'd considered buying one of those pet steam vacuums for if there's a mess or incident.
>>
I dont think my house has too much of a smell. I have two cats, one male and one female about a year apart in age. i got both as kittens. they are also both fixed.
I use fresh step litter, when i had one i usually got the extreme kind. only because i really dont want my house to smell like dirty cats. but imo it is the best type of "regular" litter. i have not tried other types of litter, they have a huge selection at my local petsmart. the only time i notice my house smells is when its time to replace or clean the litter. I am not the best person at keeping up with my litter, so there are days my cats are more noticeable than others. but the solution to that is to just clean the litter box more often, like once a day or every other day.
I have a litterbox with a lid. it looks like a little hut, i find it helps with the smell as well. I would definitely not go back to an open litterbox. it also helps with the sand not getting everywhere.
if youre worried about getting sand every where i suggest getting a litter mat and putting it in your restroom, as having it in the kitchen is a little gross imo. you could even dedicate a hallway closet to it.
my cats have not changed too much in personality. my male doesnt like being held too long. he gives me somewhat of a hard time when i clip his nails, but hes been like that since he was a kitten. my female is shy, and a little less of a lover than my male. she hasnt changed much either. you cant really tell if the temperament will change as they get older. imo it isnt that much of a big deal unless you have like kids or something.
Anon, i suggest getting the kitten if you really want it. and get one of those feather wands to play with it, they're damn adorable and you'll bond faster with it. You dont need to put too much time into a cat, and if you dont give it attention for a little bit, they're okay,
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.