[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Gaming Laptop vs Work Laptop

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

I need a laptop for work.

Should I purchase a work laptop with worse sspecs or a gaming laptop with better specs at the same price? It will mainly be used in an office and for typing, video calls, and watching movies.

My budget is around $1000 give or take a $100.

I want a good keyboard, good display, solid build quality, and good touchpad. I want it to last. Thunderbolt ports are nice.
>>
Why would you not buy a laptop with better specs if it was the same price? Just buy the best computer with the money you want to spend. The idea of a "gaming laptop" is pretty silly though. They run hot and you get so little performance. If you want to actually get into PC gaming, then get a desktop and just get a cheap ass chromebook thing for work if it's just for that lowkey stuff like word processing and streaming netflix.
>>
>>17669236

From what I gathered, certain work style laptops are just built better than gaming laptops.

I may be wrong but work laptops have a greater build quality for less specs than a gaming laptop with better specs.

However, I don't know. That's why I'm asking /adv/
>>
>>17669210
Get a laptop that will do what you need and is small and light.

Had a 17in gaming laptop and it sucked. If you want to game just build a desktop rig
>>
>>17669320

I sort of want a mix between a laptop/desktop.

I figured a 15.6" to 17" would be best for that. I want to take it places, but I will be mostly typing on it at a desk.
>>
>>17669210
For $1k you could probably build a decent tower and still have money to buy a cheap notebook for work.
>>
File: 1475693434844.jpg (231KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
1475693434844.jpg
231KB, 1024x768px
>>17669210
Chrome book for $250. Won't run very much software but is good for web browsing and google docs editing.

When you think "Gaming Laptop" I want you to imagine a big red X. I would never do it.
You pay more money for less performance that you're far more locked into with future mods for less lifespan.
>>
>>17669453

I like the option of possibly gamine, but the odds are, I'll never use it.

However, I like the processing power and SSDs that usually come with mid-to-higher end laptops.

A thunderbolt 3 USB port would be nice.

However, durability, comfortable typing, and longevity are my biggest concerns (with a nice screen). Speed is important also.

>>17669475

Chromebooks are usually so cheap that I never really considered them, but if they're good, I'd definitely look into them.

I need something reliable that isn't as expensive as a MacBook Pro.
>>
>>17669210
I'd advise against a gaming laptop for work, as much because it doesn't look professional as anything else. It depends on what job you do of course, but walking in to a meeting with a bright red laptop the size of a small African country that lights up like a christmas tree and needs to be hooked up directly to a substation to stay powered up for more than three minuites is not going to inspire confidence in your clients.

Toshiba make some good business laptops. I use a Tecra Z40B for work, it's a fantastic machine, really can't fault it. It was quite expensive at about £1,700 ($2,100 even with the pound being just about worthless at the moment) but they do have other models that are way cheaper.
>>
>>17669522

>I'd advise against a gaming laptop for work, as much because it doesn't look professional as anything else. It depends on what job you do of course, but walking in to a meeting with a bright red laptop the size of a small African country that lights up like a christmas tree and needs to be hooked up directly to a substation to stay powered up for more than three minuites is not going to inspire confidence in your clients.

Lol, the two I was looking at look rather normal.

Around $1000 is really my budget for one.

The Tecra does look nice however. A fingerprint scanner might be something useful for my profession.
>>
>>17669485
So wait, you want a shiny expensive laptop just because?
>>
>>17669210
I carry two laptops with me on work travel. My work laptop and my personal laptop. I would never do work stuff on my personal laptop or personal stuff on my work laptop.
>>
>>17669210
Gaming laptops combine the worst of both worlds. The performance is subpar for what you'd get on a desktop and the premium is huge; more importantly, they suck at being a laptop. Usually the size is retarded, battery life blows, display are cheap trash, etc, etc.

> good keyboard
Very subjective.

>good display
Will be pretty hard on your budget, all the 1080p trash isn't worth it and most hi res screens start at a bit more.

>solid build quality
It's usually the case once you spend north of 1000.

>good touchpad
This only leaves Applel. Their trackpads are on another level. Only somewhat comparable Windows laptops that don't completely blow are Dell XPS and some HP with precision touchpad.

Honestly, MBP is your best option. Just buy refurbished ones.
>>
>>17669442
My 17in gaming laptop was 10+ lbs with everything and the battery life was like 1 hour. Granted this was 6 years ago in 2010.

Now I have a 13in laptop, that's less than 4lbs with everything. It's night and day. If you're gonna be carrying your laptop around, don't get a gaming laptop.

I only play old games (like from gog) and the 13in works fine for the rare gaming session.

Also if you get a 17in be prepared for everyone to say how huge your laptop is lol

If you're set on a gaming laptop mine was an asus, was very good.
>>
Just buy a refurbished laptop for work and invest the rest of it in your desktop.

Otherwise you'll hate yourself for buying a high end bullshit laptop in a year or 2 when you have to replace the entire damn thing instead of just one part.

Also, they could office with laptops already 10 year ago.
>>
>>17669736

Are gaming laptops prone to breaking and fragile?

>>17669645

I'm looking at a Dell 4k touchscreen. However, I have heard Dell has poor brightness and color.

>>17669666

Was your 13 inch good for typing? Were reading documents on the screen better than with a larger screen?

>>17669581

Not just because. Being able to process a lot and last a while is worthwhile.
>>
>>17669878
>However, I have heard Dell has poor brightness and color.
Maybe "relatively" poor? It's still a fucking IPS display, so even at it's very worst it's pretty decent.

Though the bigger downside is the scaling with Windows, which is a hit or miss depending on the programs you're using. Isn't there a 2560 x 1440 version? Should be cheaper and is still a respectable resolution.

>Was your 13 inch good for typing?
Not him but used exclusively 12" and 13'3 laptops over the last decade, with office/typing as main task and never had any issues, all of the keyboards were full sized. (don't need the num pad for my work, so might be different for you)

Even on 12" screen, displaying two or even three word pages at the same time is perfectly usable and I do prefer to work on laptop over my 24" dual monitor setup on desktop, mostly due the trackpad gestures.

>Are gaming laptops prone to breaking and fragile?
Maybe the overly cheap ones. Thought specially if you use them for gaming the stress on the hardware is more likely to "find" flaws in the design, sub-optimal cooling in most cases.

I'd also consider the silly noise.
>>
>>17669924

Good post.
>>
I use a little DELL with minimal specs and plug it into two monitors and I bought copies of my Razer (I know...) keyboard and mouse and steelseries mouse pad at work. I can be way more productive if I use the same setup I use at home for killing Americans in video games.
>>
File: AreU_front_Downloaded.jpg (32KB, 400x399px) Image search: [Google]
AreU_front_Downloaded.jpg
32KB, 400x399px
>works at a pc repair shop
Laptops are getting pretty shite nowadays, don't drop $1000 if all you play is LoL and Dota. Also get warranty because it may die within 5yrs. If you are contemplating using it for work why would you be playin games? Thinkpads are not a bad buy for work, and they are pretty sturdy. Most other brands don't do too well because they focus too much on looks, and are hell to troubleshoot. For example dell studios suck because when anything breaks you have to take the whole thing apart lol. After finding a model you like find a disassembly video and see if it's easy to troubleshoot. It would suck buying this expensive gaming laptop and it dies within the year :P see it all the time when people drop money on those and when they fail it is very expensive to repair, even by yourself. Hell a bezel can cost up to $200 alone! Good luck anon hope you find something you like, hope this helps others.
>>
>>17671189
This, but if you're looking for reliability, ease of serviceability, and quality, look at some of the older Thinkpads. Most of the old desktop replacement-tier Thinkpads will have outdated graphics cards (in terms of heavy work loads, like video rendering), but the CPU will still be up to spec. And, if you really want desktop graphics, you can run an external graphics card by connecting it through a ExpressCard, or PCIe. As far as performance goes, a fully spec'd Thinkpad will easily last you 3-5 years, given how slowly CPU technology improves.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.