[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Learning to play the guitar

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: image.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
I been wanting to play it for a while now but always get insecure about other people hearing me and when I hear it my self it doesn't sound all too fancy
How can I get over this and actually start praticing?
Also if any of you have advice on how you started please share
>>
>>17669077
Set an easy goal. My goal was/is to play at a level that you can play accompaniment for campfire singalong songs. With a guitar that just boils down to learning a few chords pretty well.

Once you have this down, you can always have that to fall back on. You can still claim you know guitar since that's about the level that half of guitar players play at. Then you should have the confidence to tackle harder shit.
>>
>>17669077

>practice in private first
>practice just one song til you get it down
>then move on to the next song

ojnly play songs you know in public.
>>
>>17669077
Learn the major open chords, minor open chords, barre chords, how to read tabs, and just noodle around a bit. Practice every day, but think of it as recreation and not homework. Learn your favorite songs. You'll get the hang of it before you know. Although you won't feel truly competent until you've been at it for at least a year. And you won't truly BE competent unless you really pour your heart into it.

I mess around on the guitar as a hobby, and I play well enough to enjoy myself and occasionally serenade the ladies, but I don't hold a candle to a *real* musician. It all just depends on what your goals are.
>>
barry galbraith
>>
>>17669077
if you live with others
electric guitar -> amp -> headphones

now no one can hear your shitty solo practice

and when you master it just start playing out loud on the amp

:^)
>>
>>17669077
Ah dude guitar is such a valuable instrument to learn. You can learn a ton about music.

Anyway I taught myself at a fairly young age. I was really into the classic rock meme and wanted to be as good as all these butt rock bands.

Eventually my music taste diversified, and so did my playing.

I recommend just getting a guitar, learning some basic chords, and learning some songs that you enjoy, by ear would be better, but sometimes that's pretty hard, so learn to read tabs (seriously, seriously easy, they literally tell you exactly where to put your fingers).

I found that learning songs I liked was one thing, but what really helped me get better was when I was just noodling around and came up something I thought sounded cool.
>>
when i started i practiced on an unplugged electric guitar mostly. its not loud but its loud enough so that you can hear it when its quiet. actually i still play that way the majority of the time 10+ years later

i started by learning songs that i liked, then later i started getting into music theory and all that when i decided i wanted to get more serious
>>
>>17669077
Everyone sounds like they suck when they listen to themselves playing, to the point that there's heaps of musicians who refuse to listen to any of their own recordings, because they think it's shit and feel terrible that they made people pay money to listen to it.

Everyone fucks up when they practice, and literally everyone sucks when they start. No-one just picks up a guitar and rocks out with it, assuming they're not coming from something super similar like a banjo or something.

Find a good course (justinguitar is always a good free rec for beginners, most is online), and follow it. That way you'll learn the basic stuff in a way that's transferable to other songs, but also have a good path to follow as to what you should be aiming to be able to play next, instead of doing what almost every beginner guitarist does, and picking some insanely hard song played by someone with 10 years experience on a fretboard, and then spending a while trying to learn it, not being able to even come close to sounding like it, and then giving up.

Everyone says buy electric, but it doesn't matter that much, buy whatever's used most in the genres you want to play. Don't buy an acoustic if you want to play metal (though don't expect to play metal any time soon, that's not usually an easy genre), but don't buy an electric if you want to exclusively play bluegrass or something, or Tommy Emmanuel covers, or like was said earlier, singalong stuff.

It's always best to practice on something close to what you'll be using outside practice.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.