[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I feel like a fraud

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4

File: IMG_1893.jpg (17KB, 228x221px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1893.jpg
17KB, 228x221px
I sometimes get invited out to go to bars or whatever, and I usually go.. for example last night a group of co-workers invited me out. We drank and I was making a lot of jokes and getting people to laugh. Everyone looks like they had fun. But I didn't enjoy it.. I can fit in to my environment, but I wasn't actually having fun. Even tho I was laughing and trying to make people laugh, as soon as I got in my car to drive home I felt like shit and thought "I wish I just had stayed home and watched TV". I just feel so fake. Everyone had a good time, one of my female co-workers even said "you need to come out with us more!".. I just feel like a fraud. I don't have fun at things like this, but I always appear that I am because I fit in and play along..I don't actually enjoy any of this, I'd rather be at home.
>>
At least you get invited out.
>>
its because you're too intelligent to enjoy light banter. Just go out only when you are bored, or to places that you genuinely enjoy like a grouping for your favorite hobby.

Dont force yourself out there if you dont want to.
>>
>>17668710

All I want to do is sit at home and watch political commentary Tbh
>>
>>17668701
Congratulations, you just figured out youre an introvert.
>>
>>17668732

I've known this.

Just when I do go out. I act as a "extrovert". My co-workers think I'm funny and want me to go out with them more. I had people laughing a lot with jokes and shit talking. The female co-worker even said that I'm fun to drink with.

But all of that shit is fake. I really don't enjoy any of that shit.
>>
I know this feel
>>
File: Cur0CQUWcAAurnB.jpg (131KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
Cur0CQUWcAAurnB.jpg
131KB, 1200x900px
>>17668741
So don't do it anymore. There is nothing good or noble about being a barfly. Sounds to me like you need an activity or hobby that will engage your brain. I've recently taken up woodworking!
>>
>>17668741
Impostor syndrome?
>>
>>17668741
wew lad, teach me how to do that
>>
>>17669001

I fly airplanes sometimes. But I typically like to just follow politics and watch the news and political commentary. I much would have rathered staying home and watching The O'Rielly Factor last night than going out to the bar.

>>17669002

No, I mean I never have claimed to be
a partier, alpha, or anything like that.

>>17669019

To be honest... I learned how to talk to people from 4chan. 4chan actually had expanded my sense of humor and quick thinking in social situations over the past 7 years. I've learned how to think of witty responses and make jokes
>>
>>17668703

..me.. :(
>>
>>17668701

split the difference.

you aren't a fraud, but you dont love it. its like going to church or a family members birthday. you'd rather be doing something else, but you make the best of what you have and enjoy what you can of it. not in the way that they do, but you make do and try your best.

its okay. a lot of peopel do it. many of us prefer smaller more intimate scenarios.
>>
>>17669332

Should I just stop doing things like this as a whole? I honestly don't enjoy it. I mean, even tho I "looked" happy and engaged. I kept glancing at my watch throughout the night waiting for it to be over, and cringed at the bill.. literally as soon as I walked to my car I felt "I wish I would have stayed home and watched politics". the only reason I went and participated in everything because friends were there. But I didn't actually relax or have any fun
>>
>>17669346

as always, split the difference. dont go every time, but go once in a while.

if you like friends though make an effort to invite them to the kind of activities youd like tho
>>
>>17669363

>if you like friends though make an effort to invite them to the kind of activities youd like tho

the thing is the activities I do I always do alone. Watch politics and hike.
>>
>>17669365

then enver meet people, dont even btoher saying hi, make it known right away that you are incapable of having friends cuz litearlly the only things you like can be done alone :^)
>>
>>17669479

Ok
>>
File: image.jpg (377KB, 1374x2015px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
377KB, 1374x2015px
>>17668701

Look for people that didn't make you feel you are wasting your energy.

I don't like to hang around with co-workers, I prefer to know new people, but once a month I have to go with them to a bar.
>>
>>17669768

Yeah perhaps you're right
>>
Curious:
Have you ever taken the Myers-Briggs personality assessment? Every INTJ (or similar) I've spoken to (myself included) about social interactions/friendships feel that way. I found that knowing I was just a rare type and that the world is full of shallow plebs to be a bit comforting.

If I'm wrong just ignore me and I'll fuck right off...
>>
>>17668710
>its because you're too intelligent to enjoy light banter.

Don't take that crap seriously. No one is talking "deep stuff" 24/7. Maybe you don't have fun with them, but don't look down on them.
>>
I a lot of people in this thread have bought into the "you are a special snowflake introvert" concept that is so popular online nowadays. This makes people self-validate their less social characteristics and makes them feel weirdly superior to extroverts. It's the jocks vs nerds thing all over again.

Do you know why you wanted to be home? Because that's your comfort zone. I'm going to make a guess that you don't go out much, and regular social activity is new in your life. That's fine. And guess what, the first times are going to be uncomfortable, like most things in life. Chances are that as you get used to it you will relax, more of the "real you" will come out, and you will begin to influence the conversation around you, making it more stimulating for you.

This doesn't mean that you should feel forced to go out every single time, but if you have this dilemma it's obviously because you don't like staying home every single weekend. And if you want to change that you need to a break your habit. Habits are hard to break, but it can be done. Making a conscious effort to change something should never be construed as being "fake," because the "real" you changes with every new experience and year that passes in life. Whatever "real" antisocial you that you think is more authentic is just a construction of your mind based on past experiences.
>>
File: 1465786437135.jpg (74KB, 599x563px) Image search: [Google]
1465786437135.jpg
74KB, 599x563px
>>17668701

Get this idea out of your head that maintaining relationships, staying on people's good side and making appearances to keep your space in the inner fold of social circles is supposed to be fun all of the time.

If your coworkers invited you out and you stopped going and just turned them down every time you'd probably start becoming the odd man out. They'd probably top asking, start ignoring you and maybe even gossip about how weird you are behind your back.

My asshole coworkers do the same thing. Every once and awhile there is a company barbecue or the boss opens a tab at a bar and we all go out and I smile and eat free food and drink free drinks and buddy up to all the fuckheads I work with because going out once a month and bullshitting my way through pretending to like them is better then being left out every time a good project opens up or not having any friends when I need someone to switch me shifts or cover me when I'm sick.

Most of the people I work with are fucking idiots but telling jokes for a few hours and getting wasted on the boss's dime is a small price to pay for being included in my company's inner circle. What happens if a promotion opens up, huh? You think the boss is gonna promote the weird guy who doesn't look anybody in the eye and never comes out for drinks and stays home alone watching TV every year during the christmas party? Absolutely not.

You see what I'm getting at?

We all have to play along in life, anon. I don't know what about this world led you to believe that everyone is free to just be themselves and never do anything they don't want to and not suffer any consequences.

So you don't like going out to bars but you do it anyways to maintain the illusion of being social and being involved in the group. So fucking what? We all smile and nod through something in our lives. You're not experiencing anything unique.

Do things you want to do on your own time but also accept that playing pretend is a part of ever yday life.
>>
>>17670181
Myers-Briggs us psuedoscientific bullshit that no one who knows anything about psychology uses.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.