[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Wrong career choice

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: 1476394108395.jpg (95KB, 653x490px) Image search: [Google]
1476394108395.jpg
95KB, 653x490px
I am 23, part time firefighter and full time student (in order to become a full time fireman). Between age 17 to 21, I was close on being a literal NEET, drove my parents crazy and just plain wasted my life.

I had somekind of midlife crisis and decided to become a fireman. The pay is not too bad, cool job, sometimes you get a whole week off and there's a brotherhood among firemen. I graduated last june, met a lot of amazing people, work part time as a fireman but I still have to study 2 more years in order to become a full time fireman at a big city.

This is where reality hit me hard and I had to do some pretty deep introspection these last few weeks.

Continued below
>>
>>17667570
First of all, to be a firefighter in my province is one of the biggest scam there ever is. We have minimum 3 years of formation (more than anyone in North America or even the world), there is no guarantee you'll ever find work (for big cities, there's like 8000 candidates for 50 places) and it's not recognized anywhere in the world. I knew all of it before I applied but I was desperate and I had to find purpose in life.

Second, I thought the job would make me fit into a mold. I had no friends, not that in shape, horrible with women, bad life habits and incredibly lazy. I thought that the firefighting school would have changed me. It barely has. The only thing I got more now is a few "friends" that we are more or less in touch. Once a loser, always a loser. If you have no redeeming qualities, nobody will ever look at you.

One of the main reasons that also motivated me into firefighting is that I like to make people smile by my actions. So I vonlunteered so much that I got an award at the end of the year among 300 other students for the most community involved student.
>>
>>17667600
But it got me thinking: what did I really gain after all these countless hours of volunteering? Absolutely nothing. I did enjoy helping a few times but I have discovered that I am a selfish piece of shit and I don't really care about people. I was a loner all my life, I can't just change who I am. All this time I gave for the community I could have gone to the gym, help my parents, make money, go out with my little brother or some friends.

The part-time firefighting is not as cool as I thought. The pay is miserable (not even enough to pay the rent) and I have discovered just how much I love to sleep. I can't stand being woken up by some false alarm at 2am and I have to wake up at 6 for school. All the guys are chads, got their life on track while I pale in comparison.

Another reason that motivated me is that they all seamed to easily pull women. Like every firefighter student I knew were swarmed with pussy. I thought that by having this cool job it would make me more interesting but in fact, it's quite the contrary
>>
>>17667621
I thought it would motivate me into getting in better shape. Although I am one of the most endurant, I am below average strenght wise and keep in mind if I want to enter a big city, I gotta go against thousands of stronger guys.

My study habits are still shit even after I wasted 5 years of my life at school doing nothing at all. You would think it would be a life lesson but I haven't learned anything at all.

I feel like I could go to the university and learn something more useful and more $$$ instead of wasting 2 more years of my life. But it's hard to make this choice because now peer pressure is immense (from friends, family, firefighter captains that helped from the beginning).

I am just so confused. I thought I figured out life by the age of 22 but I was so wrong.

Help me out
>>
if you want to be a chad and get all the pussy it will involve this small thing called lying.

if you want to be a complete unsociable fuck that is your choice but being a firefighter at least in my country you have to liason with the public at some point... yes your co-workers are going to be dicks but all the money you get is hazard pay and like it or not you have to rely on these fucktards when you or they are in the shit. dont forget that. remember its not always going to be rescuing cats and helping old ladies, some of it will invove putting out fires and rescuing people.
>>
>>17667683
I never said I wanted to be unsociable. I thought would be more social with others although I am more I feel it's not enough. I love extinguishing fires but here they are so rare you can count them on your hand for a whole year.

Also, what do you mean by lying?
>>
>>17667570
why not skip the 2 years of study in order to go to the big city and find a full-time job in smaller cities around you?
Also, I plan on becoming a firefighter. Im in a mid life crisis as well and I was wondering if I could get some input on this career?

How old did you start school for firefighting?
How long is the schooling?
Do you have to be super fit before hand?
Any other miscellaneous tips are welcome like pay and whatnot.
>>
>>17667816
It's mandatory to do the 2 years of study in order to work for a big city. A full time job in a small city is even harder to get because you either have to be already working there for quite a while or know the higher ups quite well or try your luck against thousands of other candidates for like less than 5 places.

I started at 21 but I was denied at my first try at the physical exam because my pronated curls were not good enough.

I officially started at 22. In my region, firefighting schooling is pretty messed up but anywhere else in north america you need Firefighter 1 and 2 and I think it lasts 13 weeks really not sure but it's certainly not a whole year like us.

You don't have to be extremely fit but it will help tremendously. Keep in mind they pick the best candidates. Part-time firefighter pay is literally shit, you can't live with that alone you have to have a 2nd job. Although you could theoretically make a lot more money you'll have to always be available and pick a city with a lot of calls. EMT certification is a must. Do some manual labor before going firefighter. You'll be able to gauge if it's really what you want
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.