[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

constant philosophy

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 3

File: image.jpg (27KB, 371x387px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
27KB, 371x387px
How can most people be so okay with not knowing who we are, what we are, how and why we exist, what the point of our life is?
I mean I sort of understand it for religious people, they took some set of answers for a few things and accepted them. But religion doesn't answer a ton of things, and that's not counting atheists. I'm somewhat religious myself but I have a ton of doubts and I'm always worried about this. How can we as people care so much about mundane stuff like getting up early to go to the office or what clothes to wear today, when we don't even know who we are and how we came to exist?
What worries me the most is how other people say they don't care about this (except for some 2 minute philosophical moment) and are totally okay living like this. And they just give some dumb answer like "we exist to be happy", that means nothing.
I know philosophy leads to nowhere but how come people can deal with that so easily and I can't? Why are people so at peace with their ignorance about the universe?
>>
>>17666857
Philosophy doesn't lead to nowhere. A general peek through all the shit opinions out there is not "using" philosophy for enlightenment. Most people aren't okay with not having the answers to those questions, so they search for them. In fact, they have been searching for them for thousands of years, and men far smarter and older than you have been writing down their thoughts on it. Go read, and read a lot. Start with the Greeks and work your way up through history. Think for yourself. Thou Art.
>>
>>17666969
That's not what I meant. I'm talking about how people everyday nowadays don't give it that importance. I'm pretty sure most people are indeed okay with not having answers to those questions because they have "more important" things to care about like their job or their family.
>>
>>17666976
Well, I agree with you, but you must remember that most people you see in our modern western world are literally drone slaves, hypnotized away from true philosophy. You won't find them seeking answers because they are muted in their human experience. It sounds like you are open.
>>
>>17666857

>we exist to be happy", that means nothing

Why does that mean nothing to you?
>>
>>17666857
>who we are, what we are
Depending on the exact question we can answer these already ... although I am not sure how the answer is getting me anywhere.

>how
Your daddy fucked your mommy. His daddy fucked his daddys momma. * couple billions + evolution.

>why we exist
This question never made any sense for me. WHY would there be a purpose?

>what the point of our life is?
Why would there be a point?

>How can we as people care so much about mundane stuff like getting up early to go to the office or what clothes to wear today, when we don't even know who we are and how we came to exist?
Getting to the office on time will help me to get paid, which in turn will keep me fed. Before wondering about the reason of my existence, I'd rather ensure it first. Wearing the right clothes will make me feel good, which in turn will get me laid, raising my serotonin levels and shit.

> Why are people so at peace with their ignorance about the universe?
Assuming there are answers for the questions (which is a huge IF), it's even more unlikely that the answer will somehow affect me in any way, making it rather irrelevant.

Say it's proven that we only exist to serve God and live in a way hesheit tells us too ... well, fuck the guy. As long as I have the power to decide my actions, I will do it on my own terms.

>how come people can deal with that so easily and I can't?
Possible indoctrination and the belief that humans are relevant in any way. Recognizing that you're just a clusterfuck of cells that work together should help to lower the amount of questions.
>>
>>17666857

>Why are people so at peace with their ignorance about the universe?

Because most people have habits which permit them to live without needing to think much.
This is achieved by positive reinforcement from environment.
However only socially adjusted people can benefit from this reinforcement.
>>
>>17667000
Because it doesn't explain anything and it's a conclusion they probably reached based on nothing other than political correctness. And it's probably meant to end the topic as if questioning it leads you away from happiness.

>>17667002
>Your daddy fucked your mommy
Who created them? Who created who created them? Who started everything and why?

>WHY would there be a purpose?
Don't we do everything for a reason? Why wouldn't there be a reason for us to exist? Besides we can't simply stop existing so easily so there maaaaaybe is some reason we exist?
You can say the reason is some natural thing, to procreate, etc. but that just leads to more whys.

>Why would there be a point?
Why not? Why do we exist when we could not exist? Round squares made of metalwood don't exist, should they exist?

>the belief that humans are relevant in any way
Are we not relevant? What else is there to life than life itself (or our own selves if you can be solipsist)?
>>
>>17667017

>Because it doesn't explain anything

How does it not explain anything?
>>
>>17667025
How does it explain anything? Saying we exist to be happy means that something we can only experience after existing is the reason we exist. If we didn't exist there would be no reason or need for happyness. And also, who decided that we should exist to be happy? Is it something that simply came to be? Besides it doesn't explain how some people are born and die soon (as babies for example) without experiencing happyness. It doesn't explain why we exist as opposed to the possibility of not existing.
>>
>>17667017

>Who started everything and why?

What does that matter?

>Don't we do everything for a reason?

No.

>Why wouldn't there be a reason for us to exist?

Why should there be?

>Besides we can't simply stop existing so easily so there maaaaaybe is some reason we exist?

Because you can not simply stop existing there must absolutely be a reason for that existence?
That does not follow logically at all.

>but that just leads to more whys.

Which whys?
And for what purpose?

>Why do we exist when we could not exist?

So what if we could not exist?
Why would that necessitate a reason for existing?
>>
>>17667035

>means that something we can only experience after existing is the reason we exist

So why is that objectionable to you?

> If we didn't exist there would be no reason or need for happyness.

So?

>And also, who decided that we should exist to be happy?

Where did you get this that someone decided that in the first place?

> Besides it doesn't explain how some people are born and die soon (as babies for example) without experiencing happyness.

Why should it explain how some people are born and die without experiencing happiness?
What would that explanation achieve exactly?

> It doesn't explain why we exist as opposed to the possibility of not existing.

You did not ask for the causative factor of existence, but for the purpose for continuing such existence.
You are confusing two very different ideas.
>>
>>17667037
>What does that matter?
>Don't we do everything for a reason?>No
Why do I have to make an effort to eat for example? Why do I have to have a job and get money and then trade that money for food? Why is death from hunger painful? Just to name an example, these are reasons that cause us to do things. Sure you may do something for the pure heck of it but you'd probably be lying if you say most of the things you do are for no reason.
And this is just because we are humans but everyhing else in the world seems to respond to a cause. But what's the original cause?

Why doesn't it matter? Maybe we find out we've been wrong about many things. The world is far from perfect. Why should we accept anything that's wrong in our average mundane lives if we don't know why we are doing what we do?

And to be honest I think that since we exist and we can't simply stop existing so easily there must be a purpose for our existence. You can talk about logic but logic has a limit imo, you can't reach every conclusion by mere logic.

>>17667054
>Where did you get this that someone decided that in the first place?
Someone said it so they must have decided it if they reached that conclusion.

>causative factor of existence
You are right if you mean that people say we exist to be happy in the sense of why we continue to exist, not why we exist in the first place. But that means we don't know why we exist in the first place.

>What would that explanation achieve exactly?
More knowledge about existence. With more knowledge comes more freedom imo. Or otherwise, I at least feel entitled to know more about this life I have that I couldn't have asked (probably) because I had to be alive to experience it.

>Why should it explain how some people are born and die without experiencing happiness?
Because they apparently say that's the reason people live. If people live to be happy why do some people never experience happyness? They would be better off not existing maybe?
>>
>>17667068

> But that means we don't know why we exist in the first place.

We exist because our parents made us.
That is the causative factor.
As for the question that Im anticipating youll ask the telos or end or goal for us existing would have been whatever our parents thought of(Or did not think of in cases of accidental impregnation).

>And to be honest I think that since we exist and we can't simply stop existing so easily there must be a purpose for our existence.

What exactly makes it a must?

>With more knowledge comes more freedom

How so?

>Because they apparently say that's the reason people live.

Yes that is the purpose for continuing to live, not the causative factor that makes them alive in the first place.

>If people live to be happy why do some people never experience happyness?

Not all people live to be happy.

>They would be better off not existing maybe?

Why is that?
>>
>>17667017
>Who started everything
There are couple theories about abiogenesis, pick the one that sounds the best until we have the resources to try them all out.

>Don't we do everything for a reason?
It's usually boils down to release of hormones and making copies of ourselves. Everything else is just extra. Now finding the reason why living things try to stay alive in the first place is a lot more interesting; just the answer doesn't really have a critical significance for most of us beyond "oh, we know it now"

We know that the earth rotates around the sun now, would your life be any different if you still believed that it was the other way around?

>Why wouldn't there be a reason for us to exist?
That's a flawed way to ask a question and you know it.

>Besides we can't simply stop existing so easily so there maaaaaybe is some reason we exist?
There was a damn good chance for the entire human race to be wiped out during the cold war ... due a laughable mistake. So yes, we can indeed stop existing pretty easy and it's due ridiculous chance that life was even possible on earth.

The jump from "we exist, so there is a reason" goes back to the flawed way to ask the question.

>but that just leads to more whys
Sure, which are pretty hard to answer, perhaps impossible due our limitations. But what would the answers even give you, beyond short satisfaction that you understand it all for few moments? How about "we exist to colonize the universe and take over as Gods when we advance far enough". Would this change anything about our lives? Doubt it.

>Why not? Why do we exist when we could not exist?
Once again, that's a flawed way to ask. Start with the greeks yo.

1/2
>>
>>17667017
2/2
>Round squares made of metalwood don't exist, should they exist?
Human made stuff tends to exist out of economical reasons in most cases. Their err unexistence just shows that we deem them unnecessary.

>Are we not relevant?
Well, from a human to human perspective we are ... or at least should be. Treating each other as relevant and worth living tends to help with our lowest evolutionary goals too.
Now seeing us as relevant in the bigger picture? The idea seems absurd to me. The milky way is crazy huge already, the universe is beyond our imagination and there might be infinite amount of others. Hell, we still don't know shit about how small things can get. What are elementary particles made of?

Adding bipedal animals into the fray and imagining that they somehow matter just doesn't compute for me. Slightly bad luck (well chance) and a stray meteorite would wipe out everything we ever achieved as a species faster than it takes to write "lol fuck"

>What else is there to life than life itself
Absolutely fucking nothing for example. Would it even matter? Say I could prove you that humanity is absolutely meaningless, would it really change the way you live? At worst you'd be a bit depressed at start but then pick up and keep going because your body is programmed to do so.
>>
>>17667091
How did the original parent come to be? There must have been an original parent unless they have existed for all eternity but we don't know if they have or not. What was the original reason the original parents wanted a child and who made those parents if anyone made them. If parents have reason to create life maybe someone had a reason to create the original life.

>With more knowledge comes more freedom
>How so?
You can tell the outcome of your actions the more you know about the world. And you can change your mind about doing something if you know there's a different reason for doing it. For example if someone asks you to go somewhere because it's fun but you find out they are setting you up for something bad.

>They would be better off not existing maybe?
>Why is that?
This is silly I know but it's just an assumption I make because people talk about "ending someone's suffering". Or because people in a coma can be euthanized, and I assume it's because they allegedly can't feel something or would be better off dead?

You are right, the fact that we can't easily stop existing doens't mean we must have a reason.

>>17667097
>pick the best theory
Well what bothers me is that many people don't worry about looking for these theories or picking one, or just pick the easy one because they are lazy.

Sorry for keeping you replying, I'm starting to realize some of my questions make no sense logically. I haven't paid enough attention to philosophy in a long while, I've been paying more attention to religion lately since I know religious people who appear to "know" the answer to everything (though they can't explain it in a way that suits me).
What bothers me the most is that many people seem to be okay with not paying attention to philosophy in their daily lives. I don't know if it's because they have reached a higher level of understanding than me, that I still need to reach. Or if they are just lazy and don't want to think about it.
>>
>>17667116
>Well what bothers me is that many people don't worry about looking for these theories or picking one, or just pick the easy one because they are lazy.
Which makes perfect sense, because while it's a pretty interesting topic, it's unlikely to get anywhere nor impact our lives.

The decision which phone you buy will be much more noticeable than knowing that we live in the matrix or serve as slaves for our alien overlords.

> (though they can't explain it in a way that suits me).
Well, they are bound to hit the wall with the "whys" too, which usually boils down to "cuz God" instead of "we don't know yet" from science, which again doesn't change much for a person living here and now.

>What bothers me the most is that many people seem to be okay with not paying attention to philosophy in their daily lives.
Why? There are things that can have a much stronger impact on our lives, like politics. These could decide whether we live in a great world or a totalitarian shithole; sounds a lot more relevant than knowing WHY we exist in the first place.

>I don't know if it's because they have reached a higher level of understanding than me, that I still need to reach. Or if they are just lazy and don't want to think about it.
The truth probably lies somewhere in the middle. I bet most adults asked the question and arrived to an answer which made them stop asking further at some point; whether because they accepted our current ignorance or the "cuz God".
>>
>>17666857
>How can most people be so okay with not knowing who we are, what we are, how and why we exist, what the point of our life is?

Most people dont think about it due to other worries and consumption of too much mindless media.

>How can we as people care so much about mundane stuff like getting up early to go to the office

People dont know anything else, and if people dont conform then they have no money to live. people are too tired from working and looking after their children to think and study about alternatives.

>What worries me the most is how other people say they don't care about this (except for some 2 minute philosophical moment) and are totally okay living like this. And they just give some dumb answer like "we exist to be happy", that means nothing.

pretty much as i have already said. its easier for people to be ignorant, and we live in a world where people are not expected to be wise. People have hobbies/interests and idols that reinforce degenerate behavior.

At the end of the day, most people are just plebs that are sacrificed to preserve positions of power. Speak to higher class people that are well educated and you will probably receive different answers.
>>
Evolutionary-wise we exist to procreate and pass our genes down to the next generation.

In the end you wont exist anyway. You will become nothing but dust. Dont believe the afterlife meme.
So you should make everything count and live a fullfilling life.
Or you just can play vidya all the time, eat junk, jack off trice a day and be to scared to talk to people. Like me lol.
>>
NASA allegedly found aminoacids on comets which are the building bricks for living organisms.
>>
>who we are
We are a group of individuals. You're anon. You can identify yourself with your ID card. this is WHO you are. A further analysis will be your appearance, your personality traits, your medical state etc.

>what we are
you're a human. This is all that you are. If you want to know more about it read about anatomy, neurology, psychology, sociology. Start with https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human
And yes, this is how you actually understand what you are, not by thinking about "deep" questions related only to your subjectivity that have no objective answer.

>how we exist
This doesn't have an exact answer yet. If you want you can read about the laws of physics and chemistry and how we resulted as their result. That would be quite the lecture though, you'd need to start from the big bang and make your way up to the theory of evolution. Or you can believe a supernatural being created us.

>why we exist, what the point of our life is?
Biologically speaking the point of our life is survival and reproduction. We have no other objective purpose. If you're religious ... well you know what religion says. It's a test.
Not everything has to have a purpose.. Most thing don't. Life doesn't have a deeper purpose.

>Why are people so at peace with their ignorance about the universe?
Because their purpose is not to reveal the mysteries of the universe. But the thing is, we know much more about the universe that you're implying. You just don't accept the answer.
(cont)
>>
>>17667190
But here are some more of these useless things to ponder about, you seem to enjoy them:
>is it possible for nothing at all to exist?
>What is beyond the edge of the universe? Is the universe infinite? How can the universe, which is a thing be infinite? How can the universe, which is everything not be infinite?
>What existed before the universe began to exist?
>did time exist before the universe began to exist? (we can answer this one with almost certainty. No, it didn't) Time is considered the 4th dimension by some scientists. Does that mean there can be certain beings that experience time differently from us, kind of like we experience space? (we can travel in any direction) If those things existed could we perceive and interact with them? Could they perceive us?

While this questions can be pretty interesting they can't be answered, at least not yet, not by us. We are limited in our knowledge and understanding and maybe even our potential as living beings is too limited to answer all objective questions. So, as rational beings we have to accept this fact and live our life without letting it bother us. Or we can be stubborn and try to answer them. Many great things were discovered because of this stubbornness. But to answer we need to look for objective proof (well as objective as it can be, everything we know is filtered by our sense, current knowledge and ideology after all), not keep on thinking in loops about possible answers without any research or evidence. And definitely not jump from a question to another, each time finding something harder to answer.
>>
>>17667190
Just making sure but you aren't claiming anything you say to be a fact and not your opinion, right?
Because
>Life doesn't have a deeper purpose.
That's debatable.

> we know much more about the universe that you're implying.
But average people don't care about it other than reading "10 cool things nasa found out the last decade" on buzzfeed.com.

>Many great things were discovered because of this stubbornness.
Shouldn't we all be stubborn then? And all take a time in our life to work towards finding more objective proof?
>>
>>17666857
People aren't "OK." They are just ignorant or choose not to ruminate about aspects of existence we cannot comprehend as a species, deciding if there is no set reason for existence that they will either make their own reasons to live, or "check out early."

The very concept of having a "purpose" might very well be a man made concept, our necessity to see things though a cause and affect relationship.

Everyone goes through an existential crisis, eventually you'll come to terms with the fact mankind cannot comprehend existence, not even through use of concepts such as mathematics(My theory being because its still a man made tool, its too unsophisticated and loses its functional meaning once used to try simulate/calculate aspects of other dimensions.) Its made even more so when you consider the fact your very perspective may be distorted, the very stimuli you use to construct your comprehension of consciousness may just be rationalizations made by your brain to construct something meaningful in a human sense.

Because we are incapable of comprehending the universe, don't waste your energy on doing so.

Think deep about what your CHOSEN purpose is and pursue the fuck out of it.

You need to step outside of this edgy Nihilism eventually to actually function in society, if thats something you want to care about.
>>
There is no point in anything. You are just atoms, that's a fact. Your mind and your thoughts are just atoms. That's another fact. We don't exist to be happy, to reproduce or to do anything. We just exist.
>>
>>17667194
>you aren't claiming anything you say to be a fact and not your opinion, right?
How should I put it... i believe it to be fact. It's my opinion that it's a fact. This doesn't make it a fact. I'm not going to argue about it, I know other people believe other stuff. Thing is, we know no facts (well other than the things that are facts because of how they're defined. Like "red is a color" and "2+2=4") with this kind of thinking, so we have to make the distinction between things that we believe to be true and things that we're sure to be true. Us being sure of something doesn't make it true though.

>But average people don't care about it
Of course they don't. And why should they? We have different interests and ideals.

>Shouldn't we all be stubborn then? And all take a time in our life to work towards finding more objective proof?
Not really. Again, our purpose as humans isn't to answer the great questions of life. Maybe this is your purpose as an individual, but it's certainly not the purpose of all individuals. I guess this could be the answer to the OP question.
>>
File: Untitled.png (726KB, 649x726px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
726KB, 649x726px
The business of philosophy is to teach man to live in uncertainty. More briefly, the business of philosophy is not to reassure people, but to upset them
>>
Bump because I'm interested
>>
>>17666857
That's part of growing up. As you get older, you'll learn to accept that there are things in this world that you cannot change, cannot know, or cannot do. The people who can't end up billionaire visionaries, or kill themselves. Good luck, anon.
>>
No one I know is interested in it either. My ex left me around the time I became interested in other dimensions and was compared to a crazy person, so that could be why.
>>
>>17668228
You think contemplating this stuff makes people happy? No. It makes people feel insignificant, meaningless. There's a reason why high levels of intelligence also correlate with depression and mental illness.

Ignorance is bliss.
>>
File: 1457269733368.jpg (98KB, 800x800px)
1457269733368.jpg
98KB, 800x800px
>>17666857
I'm late and someone probably already said this, but >we exist to be happy, isn't just some stupid dopamine filled response about being ignorant. OP it seems to me you would be happy if you figured out all the questions of life, why we exist, what's beyond the universe etc- or at least you seem to think you'll be happy when you get those answers. Happiness is a goal that is different for everyone. Life is full of pursuing happiness, and for you that's answering why we exist. Me on the other hand i just want to fuck ur mum
>>
>>17666857
c'est la vie
>>
>>17666857
Hey man i consider myself a philosopher if you ever want to chat with me on skype you can add me on Joel4earl. Always interested in talking to more open minded people.
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.