[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Lexapro and alcohol

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_1239.jpg (59KB, 540x495px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1239.jpg
59KB, 540x495px
I've spent the last week seeking help for depression and suicidal ideation
I was referred back and forth between a bunch of different doctors because no one was sure what to prescribe me due to a history of alcohol and MDMA abuse

Finally got a prescription written today for escitalopram (lexapro)

I knew that SSRIs completely negate the effects of MDMA and I was completely fine giving that up, but I just found out that you can't drink on escitalopram, and the withdrawals are going to fucking kill me

I've been drinking around 10 standard drinks every night and 30+ (And 2-3 pills) on nights out

Drinking and getting fucked up on weekends has been my only escape for as long as I can remember

What the fuck do I do?
I can't ask my GP for Valium to help with the withdrawal because of the whole suicide and pill abuse thing

I could go to rehab, but I don't know if I can miss any more work
>>
>around 10 standard drinks every night

Even if you weren't on escitalopram, it's a lot. How much esc do you take every day?
>>
>>17658595
Only just got the prescription, and I haven't been to the pharmacy to pick it up yet, but it's for 10mg
>>
>>17658584
You'll probably have to try a lot of things to stimulate you until you can get through the brunt the withdrawl.
Eat food, go for a walk, exercise, play a game, spin coins, fix that thing, whatever - don't be afraid to change what your doing as many times as you need, even in the middle of something. Be proud of whatever you have to do to get clean, because you're achieving something.
>>
I've drank on lexapro. not daily, but certainly over 10 drinks in a night on multiple occasions - I think drinking on SSRIs usually isn't recommended due to its tendency to worsen depression/anxiety rather than because of a predictable and harmful interaction.

SSRIs can even cause more severe alcohol cravings in some people. And lexapro won't help your depression until weeks after you start taking it. Don't go cold turkey just to go on escitalopram, it's not worth it - can you taper down and start the meds when you're not drinking so much?
>>
>>17658714
Thanks, from what I was reading I was under the impression that if I drank, it would straight up wreck me

I can taper off, but I want to start the meds as soon as I can

As long as I can still have a beer every now and then I should be fine
>>
>>17658584
I got prescribed the same a few days ago, havent started yet. What is the effect of this stuff? Why is it good for me? I was too nervous to ask the doctor.
>>
>>17659780
It stops seratonin being reabsorbed by your brain, so over time you have more seratonin available

Seratonin works as like a messenger, and the parts of your brain that control mood and outlook rely on it to send signals, and higher levels of seratonin generally result in better mood and a more positive outlook, so it essentially relieves symptoms of depression

Tl;dr
It makes you not want to kill yourself
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.