[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm an ungrateful shit

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: parents.jpg (109KB, 817x515px) Image search: [Google]
parents.jpg
109KB, 817x515px
I know it's stupid and selfish, but I really don't love my parents. It's something I feel incredibly guilty about but I just can't help it.

It's not for lack of trying on either side, and it's not as though I hate them. We're able to hold normal conversations just fine, we can even make jokes, I've just never felt any emotional support from them. It's not like I'm asking for them to shower me with unconditional praise and kindness, but I've always felt more like I could go to friends or even anonymous people on the internet with a problem so much easier than I could with my parents.

And it eats me up inside because I know that I should, but for some reason I just don't feel like that towards them. I feel like they're friendly acquaintances instead of my fucking parents.

I don't know what exactly I'm asking for or if this is the right place to ask it, but am I just being selfish or is this reasonable? If it's the former, what can I do to fix this, if anything?
>>
I don't know, but I can totally relate to that.
>>
this is pretty normal. there's this storybook idea of how parents should be in one's life, and then there's reality. it's not selfish to feel this way.
>>
It's time to move out, son.
>>
>>17655885
>this is pretty normal.
No it's not. What you mean is "it's okay to feel this way" which is not the same as "it's normal to feel this way"
>>
>>17655898
It's normal man
>>
>>17655900
It really isn't.
>>
>>17655910
Why?
>>
>>17655910
It's not statistically unusually at all

Average =/= normal
>>
>>17655911
Because most people don't feel disconnected from their parents in the way that OP is describing
>>
>>17655913
Normal is about the usual, the expected, the norm, i.e. average.
>>
>>17655919
No it isn't.

Normal means not being a statistical outlier. It has nothing to do with being average. You can be 6'5'' and still be normal.
>>
>>17655940
I think you need to look up the definition of normal. You'd be hard pressed to find a definition that doesn't involve the concept of average
>>
>>17655945
>conforming to the standard or the common type; usual; not abnormal; regular; natural.

Nothing about statistical average. How did you get that idea? Even if you take it as the statistical median, do you really think the typical family is that close?
>>
>>17655881
I'm living with my relative, but I talked more in my groupwork or with friends than with her.

My parents try to contact me but when they do it's always they who talks. If they ask how's everything I'll say it's fine because it's very hard to explain the condition to them (technical difficulty in work). In the end they keep rattling about their work problems, could take half an hour..while I just sit there and sighing.

I always reject chatting honesty with my parent because they always blaming, and in the end I'm always getting tired.

We have dinner together but no one really talks.

We're a rich family,but honestly it's a poor family experience.
>>
Have you read the works of Bert Hellinger? It'll help you a lot with what you're going through, and transitively help them.
>>
>>17655881
Well, honestly, you don't have to have the ability to completely relate to your parents in order to love them. You seem to be setting the standard for parenting too high for them, and it just isn't that fair. If they don't abuse you and have given you a fairly good life, you should appreciate them. No one has perfect parents, and to expect them to be is just setting yourself up for disappointment. Be glad that they have given you what they have given you, and love and appreciate them for that. Also be grateful that you have other people in your life to fulfill your other needs.

Never expect anyone to be perfect, OP. It'll never fail to let you down.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.