[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

My doctor prescribed me a medication on my first appointment

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: 1475916540142105786535.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
1475916540142105786535.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
My doctor prescribed me a medication on my first appointment with him. It was supposed to help me sleep. I gave it two weeks and it wasn't working so I looked up some stronger sleeping pills to discuss with my doctor and I found out that my pills were antidepressants that are not approved by the FDA to treat insomnia only. I am not depressed, and even if I was and didn't know it, there's no way that my doctor could have figured that out based off what I told him in our tiny appoitment. I've even felt really numb recently about things I've usually been passionate about, and now that I know what pills I've been taking I feel like they're responsible.

Now, I want to be pissed and stop taking the pills, that aren't working anyways, and throw an appropriate fit with doc, but I'm also considering continuing to take the pills and experience the "full trial" to be more sure when I go back for my next visit in another two weeks. Besides, I've known depressed people who take antidepressants and they don't seem to be affective at treating that either.

What do you think?

Pic related, it reminds me that my medical problems could be worse.
>>
What did you tell the doctor during your appointment?

Have dealt with shitty doctors before, eventually leading to eight nurses at a hospital filing a report against one for how he treated me.

The doctor should have been transparent, you needed something for sleep, not an anti depressant. What medication are you on?

That's what those meds do, they tune things down.

If you don't have a diagnosis, if that doctor didn't even explain to you why they put you on that medication, if its off-label use doesn't even cover sleep, stop taking it. Get a new doctor immediately, don't waste any time with that bullshit. If they're going to make a decision like that out of the blue without a word your way, they aren't going to change. That's an arrogant attitude. Get a new doctor.
>>
Don't continue taking the pills please, I'm a psychologist and at uni I tried to take antidepressants for a month without being actually depressed, afterwards I started feeling little bit down, or not as happy as while taking those pills and now here I am, with the worst kind of a depression (F32.2) not knowing what to do with my life, even though I'm living my dream and that's all because of that stupid pills.
>>
Thanks guys, I won't take them.
>>
I was on trazodone, by the way.
>>
>doctor prescribes something off-label
>patient goes to 4chan
>anonymous dumbasses tell him to stop taking the pills
>patient listens to them
This is why old doctors hate the internet. It's a good way for idiots to find new ways to fuck themselves over.

Most drugs are used for multiple illnesses. Just because trazodone is used for depression doesn't mean it can't be used for insomnia as well.
It's frequently used for insomnia because of its good side-effect profile compared to many other hypnotics (much better than benzos, somewhat better than Z-drugs, etc).

In fact, a metric shit-ton of drugs are used off-label for insomnia because they happen to make you very drowsy. For example, how shocked would you be if the doc had prescribed quetiapine? It's approved as an antipsychotic! But since (like most antipsychotics) it tends to put you to sleep, some doctors use it for insomnia too.

If the trazodone isn't working, just go tell the doctor that. They might increase the dose or switch you to another.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.