[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What Should I do With My Life?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: communications.png (8KB, 670x350px) Image search: [Google]
communications.png
8KB, 670x350px
I'm currently 21 and going to community college. My family is really, really poor so I'm getting a lot of help from financial aid.

I want to be a sports writer. It's my dream. I watch sports almost every day and consistently read about sports every day. I'm a good writer, or at least that's what I've been told. The problem is that journalism is a really competitive job. With newspapers dying out and websites relying on ad revenue so much, there is a lot of lay offs. That's why I'm majoring in communications, because I feel like it's flexible if journalism doesn't work out. I'm currently working for a fundraising company. I raise money for non-profit media outlets like NPR and PBS which I feel like is a good job for me right now. It will give me experience with communications and I'm making a respectable 12 dollars an hour. Still live at home, still don't have a car (saving up for one) and I haven't published anything either which makes me feel behind in terms of producing content.

How should I move on from here? A buddy of mine wants to move in together next year but I won't have enough money saved up by then so I may have to wait longer. What are some jobs I can pursue with a communications degree?

I'm just kind of lost on where to move forward with my life. Despite being in college and having a job I still feel like a confused kid who doesn't know what to do.
>>
>>17649255
Get a real job like Engineering, Computer Network Engineer (Not nearly as hard as it sounds) or Nursing.
If you're going to be a writer, don't fall for the whole "muh degree guarantees me a jerb" that high school counselors push.

If you're a good enough writer you don't need an expensive degree.
>>
I did journalism at university
Now I'm a copywriter
Give that a go there are lots of jobs going, especially since journalism is dying online and on traditional formats.
>>
>>17649274
I don't know if I could do that line of work. I'm really good at dealing with people professionally and have been told many times that I'm a great salesman. I want to work with people. I've heard Human Resource jobs pay pretty damn well. Maybe I'll look into that.

>>17649275
This could also be an option. Man, why did I have to be born in the wrong era? Journalism was strong and kicking a few decades ago. Now it's all shit.
>>
>>17649284
It is all shit, but that's due to technology and new laws where the government is legally allowed to propagandize the American populace.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smith%E2%80%93Mundt_Act

It's either now write propaganda, strike out and be independent like Alex Jones from Infowars or just blog and make fuck all money.

Real journalism never died friend, it just changed form and became less profitable.

Luckily, most of the skills you learn as a journalist are transferable to the marketing world, so there is some hope of making decent money with our qualifications.
>>
>>17649313
Yeah I'll be fine as long as I can find even a halfway decent job that I don't hate. I feel like there are a lot of options, just not sure which direction to go. Maybe I'll just keep this job dealing with media outlets/sales, finish my degree and see where that takes me. I just don't want to end up in a shit ton of debt with no jobs to apply to, but with the amount of help i'm receiving from financial aid I shouldn't be in too much trouble out of college.
>>
Real estate agent fucking retard
>>
>>17649322
Idk wouldn't that be a real up and down job with how up and down the housing market is? I'm no expert on real estate but it seems like a job that could easily go south once the housing market goes to shit and nobody wants to buy.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.