[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How to small talk? People say that talk with other people all

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: 1475816676984.jpg (72KB, 689x960px) Image search: [Google]
1475816676984.jpg
72KB, 689x960px
How to small talk? People say that talk with other people all the time - in person, over the phone, online, anywhere really. I can barely get out one sentence to another person without running out of things to say.
>>
Practice.
>>
Don't care, if you do you might feel the pressure of making the conversation appealing.
Also, how to win friends and influence people is an old time classic, you'd want to start there, get some basics
>>
Ask questions that can't be answered with a yes/no.

"What's your favourite thing in the world?"

"If you had 1Mil dollars, what would you do with it?"

Etc. Get them talking and listen. You can learn about them, give your own answers/opinions in response and lead to other topics.
>>
>>17648798
Take interest in what they say and ask questions. That's mostly all you have to do. If they say something, you just fuckin... press A to learn more. Eventually you'll have something to say back, or something in common.
>>
>>17648798
Pretty much >>17648810
But before you start conversations, try to find things to talk about. Be more observational. Take in your physical surroundings. Anything interesting happening? Take note of things that have been happening in the world recently, either locally, or globally. Has the weather been shitty lately? Does that make you think of other places with shitty weather? Have you lived in places with shitty weather? You can go on endless tangents, and conversations meander everywhere, so let them, and so long as what you're saying is relevant, interesting, and appropriate in tone, then you're going to be fine. Some things can be relevant and interesting, but not appropriate for your conversation (think too much personal information) or relevant and appropriate, but not very interesting, or even interesting and appropriate, but not relevant (like random bullshit).

Another thing is to take interest in what other people are saying. They say some tidbit about themselves, follow up with a question. They mention a dog, ask them what kind, or if they're an animal lover in general. Once you dig some information out of them, you can make connections to what they say. Maybe they've shared some mundane experiences with you, like maybe you and the other person have an allergy to cats, or skipped school to go to a rock concert, or whatever, or maybe you share opinions on things like music or politics.

Last thing: know when the person disengages, and be okay with that. If you can't think of a way to follow up the conversation, or the other person is giving simple answers in a plain tone, then drop the conversation. Don't feel like you HAVE to keep talking to people, or force yourself to find ways to keep the conversation going.
>>
>>17648814
>Don't care
I wish I could do that easily
>>17648823
I dunno, it seems so random. I've had people ask me this but I feel like they're scraping the absolute bottom of barrel, desperately trying to figure out ways to get me talking.
>>17648855
I tried doing this for a while but it's an incredible effort and I don't feel any of the natural flow that I can see in conversation other people have.
>>17648874
>Does that make you think of other places with shitty weather? Have you lived in places with shitty weather? You can go on endless tangents, and conversations meander everywhere
I'm often completely at a loss as to what to say. My mind literally goes blank.

I've always been this way, I can recall multiple times throughout my life that my friends have literally said that I'm an incredibly boring and hard to talk to person. Often when I talk my thoughts become so scrambled that I'll be nearly unable to put out a coherent sentence, the thought is there but it doesn't translate into spoken words (and this is when I can think of something to say). I was hoping I'd get better but after working with some great people for more than a year I feel like I've gotten nowhere, or even regressed. I see new employees getting along with these people better than I do after a single week and it just makes me miserable. Thanks for the advice anyway guys, I'll try and take it onboard.
>>
>>17648944
It might seem random but the purpose of asking such questions is to find out about the person you're talking to. That should be your mindset when talking to someone new; to find out as much as you can about them.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.