[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Jobs

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

File: graduate-smiling.jpg (38KB, 570x379px) Image search: [Google]
graduate-smiling.jpg
38KB, 570x379px
How's it going guys? Recently graduated with a B.A. in Music. Honestly not sure what to do next though. I love music but I know jobs are hard to come by in anything other than teaching it. I'm just curious about what field I could get a job in with this degree or a bachelors degree in general. It doesn't have be anything even involving music. Any advice?
>>
>>17644063
>Music
Into the trash it goes.
>>
Rockstar.
>>
>>17644063

id do your best to land a teaching gig. they tend to be long term and while you'll never be rolling in the money, you can experiment with original pieces via your students, and definitely have enough spare time to work on / record your own stuff.

i had a teacher in elementary school who was a genius composer. every song we sang during our winter and spring 'conerts' were entirely original. one year he got bored and challenged himself by writing his songs entirely in spanish. one year he heard of a priest who could only compose songs using higher notes because the mice had chewed through parts of his piano, so he challenged himself by doing the same sort of shit.

the dude got to explore his craft. and with how easy / cheap it is to legitimately record studio quality stuff in your spare time these days, who knows what he could be doing now.

it probably isn't an easy job to get no matter what grade level you want to teach at, but if you can score the job, you'd be set for life.
>>
>>17644063
Teaching is the safest option I guess. Other than that, try to find out about local indie record labels, promoters, management companies.

You could try managing a band if you think you could do it. Look into it and see what it involves if you're not sure.

Or you could set up your own events/promotion company - check out local venues, what kind of events are running in your area - more importantly, what events AREN'T running - ones that people would be interested in? If you do well, you could end up with a regular event night and make a decent amount of money - I'm studying 'music' just now, someone studying the same course set up a monthly youth club night and made decent money, I think about £1000 profit in the first night.

You don't need to be a rockstar to work in the music industry, and you don't need to work with music that you necessarily like - just identify a gap in the market and fill it. Figure out who you want to sell to and what they want to buy. Guitar lessons for adults? Music therapy for disabled kids? Reggae club night for the large Jamaican community where you live? If your city hosts Comic-Con or that sort of thing, organise a J-Pop/K-Pop night for the nerds?

There are a million and one opportunities, you just need to figure out what music service isn't being provided, and provide it.

The thing about working in music is that you don't fill out application forms and hand in CV's, you have to create your own opportunities. You need to get involved with the local industry, network and make contacts, come up with ideas and make them happen. It's tough but not impossible.
>>
File: hsgdfv.png (274KB, 473x643px) Image search: [Google]
hsgdfv.png
274KB, 473x643px
>Going to school for any kind of art
Why did you throw away thousands of dollars son?
>>
2 years and about 8 months ago I graduated. Still no job in my field, just a bunch of interviews. Its my own fault though. I was in the process for a job and I was close to the end and decided to pass on it ( I was never actually offered employment) Although I am still looking in the same field All I have had so far are maybe 3-5 serious interviews per year since.
>>
>>17644270
This is literally me, graduated with library science and though I did have an internship about 14 months ago no job in the same time as you in libraries.

I know it was a meme degree, blah blah, I really wanted to do the job because its got that sweet mix of teaching, office work, and research work and I thought it was something I'd like to do for the rest of my life.
>>
>>17645353
You give me hope fellow anon. Here is to better days for us. At least I don't feel alone anymore.
>>
>>17645353
Also my last boss actually had a degree with that. She was only able to really find P/T work and eventually started a business. Which I mean good for her but sucked for me.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.