[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Obsessive thinking

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

File: Islam anime.jpg (458KB, 1000x1500px) Image search: [Google]
Islam anime.jpg
458KB, 1000x1500px
>family is muslim
>are not bad people at all, very against extremism and pro-democracy
>despite this, the religious aspect still bothers me a lot
>only child
>never considered self religious
>parents still think I'm a muslim, sometimes try to get me to learn how to pray the islamic way or spend time with extended family
>islam gives me anxiety and makes me uncomfortable. whenever prayer or "islam" is mentioned all I can imagine is nauseating mosque patterns, that weird smell, people dressed hijabs and muslim hats speaking a language I don't understand or find sonically pleasing and a strong uneasiness
>extended family often makes comments such as "he needs to learn how important it is to marry a muslim" or go on rants about islam is the only true way
>can't stop being angry at this, obsessively thinking about hating their narrow minded perspective, Islam and islamic thought/culture
>also undisciplined and have issues with emotional regulation and anxiety
>always feel a sense of guilt/paranoia that all my negative thoughts will haunt me in the future, completely unfounded but I can't shake it
>whenever I feel sick, depressed or anxious about something, it feels like it's payback for being so neurotic and ungrateful and complaining, and that something terrible will happen or that I'll go to hell
>but also very much dislike islamic culture/cultural values and my understanding of their perspective
>if my parents knew about the things that go through my head, they would be very sad so that intensifies my guilt

I find no clarity in my thinking, I just keep thinking stuff like
"they're stupid, uncreative, narrow-minded, have no aesthetic taste or sense, don't question anything, inbred, anti-progress, lack self awareness, etc", mostly about extended family rather than parents

how do I approach this from a healthy angle when I'm fundamentally unhealthy? I don't want to bring this up to a professional because they might hate me for being so politically incorrect
>>
>>17641808
>how do I approach this from a healthy angle when I'm fundamentally unhealthy?
Not sure. I would suggest just telling your parents that you're are not fond of the islamic faith. You could also just avoid going to anything that would be with your extended family (somehow).
>I don't want to bring this up to a professional because they might hate me for being so politically incorrect.
If you bring this up to a therapist they are required to have full disclosure. In my experience most of them aren't that judgemental at all. You'll only find a few.
>>
It isn't necessarily unhealthy to be different than what your parents expect. If you don't agree with Islamic perspectives don't feel compelled to, but try to think about things objectively.

P.S. Maybe you should ask /pol/ what they think-they're all around helpful and understanding.
>>
File: eannagram3.png (66KB, 660x753px) Image search: [Google]
eannagram3.png
66KB, 660x753px
>>17641817
whenever I bring up any idea that makes me not seem like a theist, my parents seem to get uncomfortable or on their toes. I don't like to see them like that so for the most part I just avoid the topic.

>>17641818
it's just that the islamic perspective scares the shit out of me. they have very vivid and extreme descriptions of what will happen to you if you do not follow the rules to a T. whenever I was told about Allah as a kid, it was never a sense of comfort for me. It fucking scared me so much that I couldn't sleep by myself in bed until the age of 10 because every night I thought "Allah" would grab me and take me to hell because I had a few indecent thoughts. I can't change my perspective on the religion, but I'm still paranoid as fuck.

I envy Christians because Christianity is all about salvation and that a human can be redeemed as long as they repent, whereas Islam is about implementation and discipline which makes it feel less like a religion or faith and more like a cult
>>
>>17641882
I didn't mean to post that eannagram shit, but this type of stuff scares me too.

I'm basically a narcissistic stimulation seeking special snowflake cranked to the max and I almost feel as if all this shit was designed and that I was meant to burn in hell because that type of personality is the complete antithesis of islamic principles
>>
>>17641882
>whenever I bring up any idea that makes me not seem like a theist, my parents seem to get uncomfortable or on their toes. I don't like to see them like that so for the most part I just avoid the topic.
Well, they'll know eventually. My best advice is to get it over now. Of course, if you really want to put it off, tell them when you move out.
>>
Literally not a problem with political correctness. If you can move on your own, seek out a mosque further away to talk with someone about the faith like you're interested in converting. Get an outsider's perspective and make your own judgements. I think there's some call about Islam phone lines and emails that you can contact discretely. Ask the hard questions that bother you.

I went through the same phase as you did, dude. My dad is English and was Christian, my mom was Muslim. I was exposed to both faiths growing up and adhered to both tenets at the same time. I'm sort of agnostic right now but I'm leaning more to the Islam side to be frank with you. I'm in uni and the liberal muslims here are pretty chill. Hell, I go to mission groups and then head over to the small masallah to pray. I'm a glorious fuck up, but I'm satisfied. I think maybe you just need to do some of your own exploring.
>>
>>17641892
Getting over it is usually dependent on my mood

>>17641896
that sounds pretty cool. I just can't seem to shake the uneasiness the religion gives me, like the smell of the carpet they use to pray itself makes me uncomfortable
>>
The only thing I'd say is that, perhaps, you should pick the values of islam that you actually like and connect with your family over those things while not actually accepting the religion itself.

For example if they say they want you to marry a muslim, maybe look for someone that is modest and would fit with a lot of the muslim virtues, but it's necessarilly Muslim. That way you can still satisfy your family to a degree without compromising your sense of self and beliefs.

I'm an Athiest from a predominately Catholic family, and while I don't experience a lot of pressure from them I can still identify with you to a degree. Ultimately I'd say you're in a better spot than your family for being able to question and ultimately deny Islam, but do realize that religious institutions exist for a good reason wherein they (usually) give a moral framework for people to live decent and good lives. There are a lot of good things about Islam and I wouldn't say you need to be disgusted by it, albeit still cautious about its downsides.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.