[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

College Thread: Go straight for the big name or take Community College

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 5

File: YotsubaSleepingbag.jpg (201KB, 364x652px) Image search: [Google]
YotsubaSleepingbag.jpg
201KB, 364x652px
Hey /adv/, I never go here, but I need insight of from someone that's in college, graduated or thinking of the same idea as I.

Ok, I working to get into a big name college in my state, it's everyone who wants to do computer sciences wet dream to get into this college in my state. Now, I don't think I can ever get in, my grades aren't there compared to my peers who are looking to get into the same school are pull high A's in their AP classes.

I was chatting with a few people, saying the community college is the best idea for a freshmen. That I should take all pre-requsites of my major required by my dream college and then transfer there. Because it will less stressful, easy to keep a high GPA, and I'll leave with the least amount of debt in the end game.

Now I'm a student who doesn't have the AP scores to opt out of classes required by my dream school, is going to a community college and then transfer a good idea?
>>
File: YotusbaThisMakesMeSad.jpg (50KB, 479x558px) Image search: [Google]
YotusbaThisMakesMeSad.jpg
50KB, 479x558px
B-bump...
>>
Could you just go to a different, good college? Why is this place your wet dream? Does it really matter THAT much you go to that particular college over any others you might actually get in to?
>>
>>17640940
Yeah, having this college on your resume opens up a window of oppertunities for people wanting to get into the tech field because of its name and its location gives you the leg up compared to all other colleges in the state
>>
I cannot give you a recommendation on which you should choose. If you do choose Community first, then I highly recommend working on Computer Science stuff on your own during that time. Of course, I recommend on doing your own work during your dream college time as well.

It'd be advantageous for a resume, portfolio, interviews etc. Also, make room for some fun, too. It is college after all. Find a balance.
>>
Let me rephrase the situation a bit:
I don't have the AP test scores to get out of classes in the college I want to go to. I fear that paying for these undesirable classes would be a pain for me freshmen year.

So I was given the suggestion to take a community college to complete all my pre-requisites and then transfer to make things a lot cheaper for me. Is this true? Would this be a smart descion for those that never took AP classes or never passed their tests?

Should I just go into the college I wanted to go to and deal with it?

>>17640986
Thanks, I'll consider it
>>
Depends on the schools.
A lot of people get their gen eds out of the way at community college and move up, its cheaper, and most of the time a good idea. There are things you will be losing by doing this though, social life being the largest factor. You can also get screwed easily.
99% of the time, not every single one of your credits will transfer, meaning you've lost time and money. And because you aren't enrolled in the university, you will not get advising for the universities program. They can tell you what courses to take, sure, but those may become outdated before you transfer into the university. My degree has changed its fucking required courses every damn year I've been here, but I get grandfathered in on the "outdated courses" because I've been enrolled into the program from the start.

The social life is the biggest bitch I've heard from 2 year coverts. It's EXTREMELY hard to make friends in college outside your freshman year. Especially in universities where the mass bulk of the students are all living together full time on the same campus. Commuter students suffer in this aspect too, but transfer students have it worse.

Honestly what I did was enroll in my university first, and then gather all the courses I knew I could take at the community college for cheap that would transfer without a doubt (since my adviser confirms it for me), and take those courses either online or during the summer. Then I just transfer them in.

Frankly the whole "every freshman should start at com college" thing is not necessarily accurate. It may or may not be cheaper depending on the school you end up in. If I had tried to start at a community college, I would have had a total of maybe 3 courses actually transfer due to my major's very specific requirements and guide lines.
I honestly think starting at community college is only beneficial to those who either do not have the money for a university, or have not yet decided what to major in.
>>
File: YotsubaGlory.jpg (78KB, 734x404px) Image search: [Google]
YotsubaGlory.jpg
78KB, 734x404px
>>17641075
Thank, this was really helpful! I would leave the community college for a back up plan, but thanks so much! Should I get my general education out as fast can, taking what I feel comfortable with each semester?
>>
>>17641124
Like I said, depends on the schools and their programs. I would suggest getting in contact with the school you want to end up at, the university, and asking for the list of courses required for it. Then looking which courses you can take and transfer from the community college.

Keep in mind though, as long as you're not enrolled in the university, they can change the requirements at any time and cuck you out of those courses you took.
Not all majors have "gen eds" in the sense of you have a choice what course to take.
My "gen ed" math class was "how to teach math 101" for my specific degree, no other course would have satisfied it, whereas any other degree just had to take any basic 100 level math course as their gen ed requirement. There are no electives in my degree. If you want to be efficient as possible, you will want to know the university's policies and program like the back of your hand. You may or may not have enough time to do this properly though.
If you get accepted, personally I'd just jump right in at university and save the added effort.
>>
File: tumblr_o06mx2joxL1rqif2eo1_540.jpg (133KB, 540x764px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o06mx2joxL1rqif2eo1_540.jpg
133KB, 540x764px
I have a lot of friends in the comp sci major, many of them graduated. Jobs do care about where you worked sadly. These include ivy leagues the few colleges below it like MIT and Berkeley. However unless youre some autistic genius I doubt you'll get all A's; just focus on passing the classes. Also if you go to a community college it's harder to get into those universities cause then you need to get a 3.5 gpa or higher at college level, so if you already have great grades in high school I'd recommend going straight in. Make sure to apply for student aid and if you're good they'll shower you with scholarships.
>>
>>17641180
Also I'm in the same boat right now taking community college for comp sci, and they ask for a lot of classes that you will have to retake once you get into the university.
>>
File: ShinobuDonutGlee.gif (873KB, 414x241px) Image search: [Google]
ShinobuDonutGlee.gif
873KB, 414x241px
>>17641158
>>17641180
You guys are the greatest. I'll see if taking summer courses for general education is a thing. You guys are awesome!
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.