[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I make IRL friends?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 1

File: sweetness.jpg (51KB, 500x340px) Image search: [Google]
sweetness.jpg
51KB, 500x340px
Grill college freshman here. I know it sounds pathetic, and I'm not a basement dweller. I just really need to make friends.

A little background info is that I had 2 best friends from middle school who decided to not be my friends anymore about a month ago because I said some mean stuff about a teacher I had in high school. (he was an asshole to me but the 2 friends love him, one literally wants to fuck him)
In hindsight, they were often pretty selfish and weren't good friends anyway, but I had a lot in common with them via interests.
I live in a pretty close-minded area, so it's difficult to find people who had the same interests as me.
I feel a little picky though. I know it's cringey to say, but "normies" are sort of a turnoff to me. I made one friend so far in college who is REALLY...mainstream/basic/normie. She works at a daycare, is religious (I generally don't have a lot of respect for religious people), likes a frat boy. She's very nice, but I know I don't have enough in common with her to have a strong friendship. It's more along the lines of "we have classes together and don't want to sit by ourselves".
At the same time, the extra cringe people who don't wash their hair and are in the Anime & Gaming club at my college are also a turnoff. I considered joining the club because I dabble in anime, but a lot of people in the club went to my high school and are excessive weebs who most I have issues with. (One sent me nudes, another is the type who talks about shit she knows nothing about, one cheated on my brother)
I looked into groups on Meetup, but they seem to be focused on older people in my area.

Please help. I just really want to make some new friends. The only people I regularly talk to are a couple online friends I've known for years, my boyfriend, and my mom. I thought I'd be making friends and stuff, but I feel like I'm just becoming more and more introverted.
>>
Ugh, I have the same problem. I feel like at this age everyone is already set in their friends groups and don't really have an interest in making new friends. I'm not ugly and I think I'm a decent person but I fell into a hole of lonerism that I can't seem to get out of, my only real friend is my bf.
>>
>>17638525
keep looking on Meetup. The first couple i went to were definitely slightly middle-aged.

but i found one called "Social support for young adults with depression and anxiety" and its been good.

try to find ones specifically for a younger crowd?

i've been in australia for a year now, and i've only made 2 friends so far. but they are good friends, that aren't too normie and aren't too "autistic".

one of them i met thru a pokemon go walk (ha ha, i thought it would be a good way to make friends.. and i did)

and the other was through that meetup i described. she's really cool and we have more in common than i thought when i first approached her to be friends.

i know what you mean about the normies being a turn off. most people are just so.. boring.
>>
Sounds like your problem is that you think you're too good for everyone. Normies? Who needs them? Weebs? Disgusting.
>>
>>17638567 this me

but yeah, i think you just need to keep looking.. idk. there are other people out there in the same boat. people who want friends, and aren't social outcasts. i even tried tinder for a while (to make friends) but all the girls i spoke to clearly just wanted someone to fuck, or weren't even interested in being friends IRL.

its hard when you don't have friends, i know that much. it gets lonely. i'm so glad i met that friend thru that group. we've been hanging out every week (i work full time so don't really have time for more than that) and its been great.

good luck OP and anon #1
>>
>>17638569
i think it's more that its hard to relate to them. i've only found a very small handful of people that i can really relate to. other people it's just awkward silence because i do not understand them, and they do not understand me.
>>
>>17638581
Again, you're differentiating yourself from them. This whole "we don't understand each other" business is all in your head. You're putting up boundaries and focusing on the differences, rather than similarities.
>>
>>17638588
spoken like someone who truly has no idea what we are going through.

i'm leaving now because i have to procrastinate some more at work
>>
>>17638525
I feel you OP. Atleast you're in school and still have that social setting.

> Bf and I moved across the country last year for a change pace
> neither of us meet the criteria for financial aid
> can't go to school
> constant bouts of depression
> the culture here is very different and I feel like I dont relate to the people here
> even though it's a college town with lots of bars we hardly go out
> don't know how to make friends since all of my friends in my hometown I met in school
> I just go to work and come home
> I really want friends
>>
>>17638595
You're right, I don't have any idea of what you're going through. But I've known people like you, and I'm giving your my perspective as an outsider.

Telling yourself "I don't get along with people" isn't helping you. The deeper you go into this "I'm different from other people" mindset, the lonelier you're going to be, because this attitude doesn't help you make friends. The first step to making friends is to acknowledge what you're doing.
>>
>>17638640
Basically don't be happy and just hangout with people you're incompatible with.
>>
>>17638924
Or consider this: instead of thinking shit like "she's religious therefore we can't be friends" think something along the lines of "I like how she dresses, maybe a sense of style is something we have in common and is something we can bond over".
>>
>>17638525
If you want IRL friends go to the Indianapolis 500 or any IRL event.
>>
>>17638924
Besides, she's not happy now. She doesn't have anything to lose by trying to set aside differences and get along with people.
>>
>>17638934
>>17638949
There's a thin a line between a self fulfilling prophecy and faking your happiness. I have so many "friends"in college but deep down I'm miserable because I can't relate to the feelings of these people. I've been faking it for so long im probably gonna kms at this point. No need to tell the kid to make friends with characters she doesn't need. Better to have one good friend than 20.
>>
>>17638963
No one's telling her to make 20 friends. No one's telling her to hang out with people she doesn't like. Just to make more of an effort to TRY and find people she has stuff in common with and can get along with. Will she encounter people she just isn't compatible enough with to be friends? Sure. But you can't seriously be suggesting that there is literally not one person in her classes, or even her university, that she could be friends with.

And honestly, what are her alternatives? Sit in her room and mope about how she doesn't get along with other people? Feel more and more lonely by the day? She has nothing to lose and everything to gain
>>
>>17638976
I'm sorry but that whole paragraph is just full of strawmans dude. I'm just saying she doesn't need to force herself to comply, being friends with people for the sake of being friends is stupid asf.
>>
>>17638525
>(I generally don't have a lot of respect for religious people)
Imaooo dude, a fedora-tipping woman, whodathunk it
>>
>>17638992
I'm not saying she needs to be friends for the sake of being friends. I'm saying she needs to put herself out there and reserve judgment about people until after she's got to know them, instead of prematurely saying "they're XYZ so we won't get along", which is what she seems to be doing.

And like I said, what are her alternatives?
>>
>>17639008
this guy is right.
Just put yourseIf out there with an open mind, whats the worst that couId happen, you reaffirm what you originaIIy thought about some person?
>>
>>17638934
We don't dress the same. Pls stop nitpicking my post. I'm basically inbetween a normie and a freak. In my srea, normie girls are very superficial and I just can't relate to them on a certain level. The girl in my post literally told me she needs to get her nails done because she looks like a boy with her nails not done. She gave a speech on changing a diaper, and whenI told her using talcum powder can lead to cancer therefore she shouldn't use it, her response was "Oh well. Everyone has their own preferences."...wat
And as for religion, you're right. I think people who are non religious are better than people whoare religious because I can't respect people who believe in a magical book that loves sexism, slavery, killing children, rape, etc, but cherry pick the good stuff.
Sorry anon that I don't want to settle for people I have nothing in common with and don't like.

>>17638999
Except I don't masturbate to 10 year olds and have cheeto dust on my neckbeard.
>>
>>17639008
Again, I just want to make good friends who I have stuff in common with. Give me friend making methods pls instead of telling me how shitty I am.
>>
>>17639314
don't knock it till you try it
>>
>>17639346
I did try it.

how can people seriously still be filling a thread with an thin girl fishing for compliments but no one is responding to my thread with advice
That's 4chan for you.
>>
>>17639351

>even 4chan bitches are jealous of better looking bitches getting "their" attention

I'm trying to avoid being sexist but I don't even need a confirmation bias at this point
>>
>>17639351
at least the other girl has autism to explain away her issues.

You are in college...
you talk to people in your classes that you sit next to.
If you think they are slightly fun to be around, you ask them if they want to grab lunch or something. then it builds from there.
>>
Are you a hamplanet OP? That may seem to be the problem.
>>
>>17640048
I'm not jealous, I meamt it just seems like people were flocking to that thread bc OP pic, and mine is a bunny lol. Bunnies aren't clickbaity. And only a couple people gave me genuine advice.

>>17640082
And outside college? I'm working on talking to people.

>>17640183
I'm 5"6 and 110 lbs, and I think my face is attractive. I put effort into what I look like, so I don't drive people away being ugly. Lol
>>
I dunno m8, facebook groups that are related to field of your interest, write up random people from there or go to meet-ups
>>
>>17640584
go fuck yourself just sit alone in the dining hall and let guys come up to you, ask them what their interest are, weed through them, then friendzone them.
>>
>>17639314
>>17639323
Okay, be a lonely close-minded bitch because you're too up yourself to TRY to find common ground and get along with people. I tried to offer my advice, but it really doesn't affect my life if you choose not to take it. You honestly sound like a shitty person to be around anyway based on all your posts.
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.