[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

psychology and counseling

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: file.png (954KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
954KB, 800x600px
I've decided that I want to be a counselor. I think I'm pretty decent at it and I've always liked psychology. I can understand people very well even if I cannot portray my way of thinking correctly sometimes. I've helped many people out throughout the the last 4 years and never really thought about it. Friends have told me I could prolly pursue this as a career and it would do wonders for me. I help my friend out all the time and I know some people here are going to say "so you helped out a friend a few times, you think you're ready for that?"

I don't know. I like the idea of learning how people think, how people work, how social standings and situations react to one another, so I think I could potentially do this. I'm finding books on any psychology I can. Now, why a counselor and not a psychologist? I figured in comparison, I don't have to work with people who have severe mental issues that I wouldn't be able to fix. And I believe that a psychologist also gives out prescriptions as well. I don't want to give out the wrong medicine.

No I'm a guy btw. I've been asked this before. Why do people see counselors or psychologists as woman?

Also, what books would any one recommend? I'm better with audio books cause of my own ADHD, I have a very big problem with staying focused when I read. So if you know any on audio, that would be fantastic. I'm listening to 2 different books as of right now.
>>
>>17638250
HUGE TIP old episodes of LOVELINE with adam and dr drew.
Adam is great at putting complex psyc in to lamens terms. I can't stress how great that show is for everyone not just people interested in psyc. Also buy the adam and dr. drew book guide to relationships and life.
>>
>>17638255
Sounds interesting
>>
You're going to have to get a degree to pursue this, reading books isn't going to cut it
>>
>>17638262
I know that, I just want to get a head start.
>>
>>17638250
Im interested in this myself, How old are you anon?
>>
>>17638911
>>
>>17638914
me too, thanks.

To my knowledge it takes about 8 years to become a psychologist. Is that what you wanted?

Also a tip, from what i have read so far it takes alot of reading to come far in this study. If you want to get a head-start, maybe seek out studies performed and look at the litterature they have used to produce the study.

Personally "ted talk depression andrew solomon" helped alot, maybe you get some tips there even though its just a speech on youtube.

ill try to update if i can remember anything else..
>>
>>17638932
yeah something of that. So I'm ok with going to school for a while to get it.
>>
Look at posts like >>17639714 and ask yourself if you still want to do it
>>
I'm here to solve a few wrong misconceptions you threw around. To become a psychologist you only need 5 years at an university, 2 years of specialization if you're getting involved into the clinic area. And the only professionals to prescript medicines are psychiatrist.
>>
File: laffin.jpg (10KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
laffin.jpg
10KB, 225x225px
>>17638255

>psyc complex
>qualitative "analysis" mixed with a little baby tier quantitative "analysis" is COMPLEX

hahahahahahaha!

When will lower IQ-plebs ever learn.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.